It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Getting a Husky on Thursday What Should I know?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
angela294
Newborn
Newborn

Getting a Husky on Thursday What Should I know? Empty
PostSubject: Getting a Husky on Thursday What Should I know?   Getting a Husky on Thursday What Should I know? EmptyMon Aug 10, 2009 12:17 pm

Like the title suggests I'm adopting a 11 month old female Siberian Husky from a friend of mine. Haven't had interaction with her yet but will in the next few days. She is a very high energy dog according to her current owner.

Any suggestions as to what I should do to get prepared for her arrival?

(toys, food, leash etc are all coming with her)

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
...YouKnowWho
Forum Nazi and B*tcher
...YouKnowWho

Male Join date : 2009-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Getting a Husky on Thursday What Should I know?   Getting a Husky on Thursday What Should I know? EmptyMon Aug 10, 2009 1:19 pm

Anything and everything that you value needs to be taken and put in a place where the dog won't get it. Prepare to be amazed at the vast destruction that this dog can do to your house... but at the same time you won't believe how much you'll love her.

Posts made by me are not associated or approved by itsahuskything.com. It is widely known that I am a misfit, ingrate, degenerate, brash, trenchant, sardonic, brusque, forthright individual. It should be remembered that all parties operate on the internet and any offense taken from the internet should immediately be followed by a thorough evaluation of one's personal sanity.

-Your Friendly Neighborhood Moderator
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Getting a Husky on Thursday What Should I know?   Getting a Husky on Thursday What Should I know? EmptyMon Aug 10, 2009 1:37 pm

Chad,
Thanks for not totally scaring her away from getting a dog!

Angela,
WELCOME!
there is a ton of info on here all ready to help you prepare for your new dog but the must haves are a crate for her to stay in while you are gone (yes she will eat everything and anything if left alone on her own for even 5min) dog dishes for food and water, leash and collar if not provided as well as a dog tag with name and contact info if she gets away from you the fist few days she will be returned. Dog toys and rawhide bones, make sure she is given to you with some food or the name of the brand she is eating as you want to keep her on the same thing to start with. Dog brush I say the shed and blade or the fur buster they have both worked good for us. If you have a fenced in yard check for areas she can get out of and the first week or so stay out there to make sure she will not get out some how. And most of all LOVE HER not mater what she gets into the first week or so. Remember it is an adjustment for her and you and she will take a few weeks to come out of her shell and show you who she really is. And NEVER TAKE HER OFF HER LEASH unless in an enclosed area. She will run!
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Getting a Husky on Thursday What Should I know?   Getting a Husky on Thursday What Should I know? EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 12:25 am

Hi Angela, and welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new girl!

I'm sure you have heard/read a lot about huskies, but just in case, here are some common traits:
-HIGH ENERGY- be prepared for an hour to two hours of exercise daily
-Often times destructive- they like to chew, dig and get into things they are not supposed to (but this often has to do with being bored when owners do not exercise them enough)
-They DIG, say goodbye to your yard.
-THEY ARE NOT OFF LEASH DOGS! Please don't make the mistake of trying...
-They are independent.
-NOT guard dogs, they love everyone Smile
-Incredibly loving and a ton of fun Smile

Always remember, a tired pup is a happy pup Smile Huskies have "puppy-like traits" for most of their lives. Be prepared to be patient, kind, gentle and loving. Set clear boundaries and BE CONSISTENT.

Look into Nothing In Life Is Free training. It's extremely simple and will work wonders.

Come here for any frustrations, concerns, grief or panic. We'll always help if you need.

Good luck! And post pictures when you get them Smile

Getting a Husky on Thursday What Should I know? Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Catherine
Teenager
Teenager

Female Join date : 2009-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Getting a Husky on Thursday What Should I know?   Getting a Husky on Thursday What Should I know? EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 6:37 am

Hi Angela - welcome to the forum.

I think the guys above have filled you in on what to expect from huskies - please don't be scared off they are the most amazing dogs. Very Happy

Just one think I would like to add; you may find your little girl is a bit quiet for the first few days but this is probably due to the change in environment for her and as Jen said she will take a while to come out of her shell - just be patient with her and play every situation by ear, very soon she will realise she is there to stay and then you will see her true personality emerge.

Hope all goes well for you and don't forget there is a wealth of experience and wisdom here always will to help. Wink

We look forward to some pics when she has settled in. Best of luck
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Getting a Husky on Thursday What Should I know?   Getting a Husky on Thursday What Should I know? EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 9:53 am

Oh yes, I meant to add that-- thanks Cath Smile It's normal for her to not have much of an appetite at first, be timid or reserved. For example, we adopted Koda at 7 months, and when he came to us, he was very calm and almost lethargic. However, once we had him for a month or more, his true personality (and one that we LOVE) started to show. He would howl more, be more playful, etc.

I hope you have fun with her Smile I will always have a husky in my life now that I have one.

Getting a Husky on Thursday What Should I know? Hailey10
Back to top Go down
wreagan
Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2010-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Getting a Husky on Thursday What Should I know?   Getting a Husky on Thursday What Should I know? EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 11:32 pm

congratulations on your new family member, no table food, my opinion, my Max goes insane arounf food, no grapes destroys kidneys no onions causes white blood cells to burst, no garlick, this you can find on web. Always , find a great Vet, not a good one, lots of brushing and hands on lovin and touch, someone said tired pup, happy pup you bet, in the summer if your husky is hyper, bring her to swim with you, dont force, all that energy will be gone and cool her off at the same time.. study
Back to top Go down
Muddy~Mira
Adult
Adult
Muddy~Mira

Female Join date : 2010-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Getting a Husky on Thursday What Should I know?   Getting a Husky on Thursday What Should I know? EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 11:59 pm

Congrats Will be The Best Decision You Made .. She Will have ur heart from The Go .. She Will Try You Just Love her n Be consistent ~
Good Luck .. P.s I Rescued a Lil 7 Month Old Mal tonight Wink
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Getting a Husky on Thursday What Should I know?   Getting a Husky on Thursday What Should I know? EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 1:41 pm

wreagan wrote:
no garlick, this you can find on web.

Garlic is fine in small portions, it's in large quantities that garlic is toxic to dogs. Our dogs get garlic with their food every other day as a natural parasite repellent and they are perfectly fine. Moderation is key. Wink

Adult
Adult
amykmac

Female Join date : 2009-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Getting a Husky on Thursday What Should I know?   Getting a Husky on Thursday What Should I know? EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 2:45 pm

Only thing I would add is that one won't be enough. Be prepared to look into a second one! Having two helps them to burn off some of the excess energy! That's just my opinion, but in case you haven't noticed, quite a few profiles here contain more than one Husky in their home! No coincidence! Wink
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Getting a Husky on Thursday What Should I know?   Getting a Husky on Thursday What Should I know? EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 5:47 pm

Welcome!

I'm a new Husky owner myself! Hubby has had Huskies and Akitas, but the one thing I wasn't prepared for was food intolerance.

We adopted Ginger, our 3 year old girl, about 5 months ago. We knew to transition her dog food slowly, but what I wasn't prepared for, nor was told about, is she has a sensitive tummy. She's able to tolerate chicken and turkey in small amounts and if mixed with fish (in dry dog food). Also, her stool goes soft with certain dog food brands in a fish formula - so the cooking process of some kibble is something she also cannot tolerate.

Ask her owner if she has any food intolerance, and make sure you introduce ANY new food or treat of anykind slowly.

There's a lot of GREAT information here...AND EVERYONE here is absolutely AWESOME!

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Getting a Husky on Thursday What Should I know?   Getting a Husky on Thursday What Should I know? EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 11:46 pm

amykmac wrote:
Only thing I would add is that one won't be enough. Be prepared to look into a second one! Having two helps them to burn off some of the excess energy! That's just my opinion, but in case you haven't noticed, quite a few profiles here contain more than one Husky in their home! No coincidence! Wink

Yep, yep, totally agreed. We just got our second one 2 weeks ago! They aren't easy dogs that's for sure, but if you truly are a dog lover, are committed to taking good care of her,giving her lots of attention,having lots of patience, and knowing that great portion of your life revolves around them then you'll get the best gift ever! They are the most loving, funny, and definitely unique dogs. One word of advice on my end...if you have a yard...as they mentioned earlier in the thread...they will dig. Well this digging MAKES A MAJOR MESS ONCE THEY COME IN. My 4 year old female recently introduced our new 3 month old male into digging...yep they both dig in the same hole and come in the house covered in dirt. Invest in lots of doggie wipes and towels!!! I feel like I'm always covered in dirt.

Oh, and watch out for small animals because they WILL catch them and you'll have no luck taking it away.

It's totally worth it though and everybody on here can say how much they love their crazy sibes!
Back to top Go down
Muddy~Mira
Adult
Adult
Muddy~Mira

Female Join date : 2010-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Getting a Husky on Thursday What Should I know?   Getting a Husky on Thursday What Should I know? EmptyThu Dec 23, 2010 12:45 am

Hahhah ^^ Very Well Last 2 Advise .. yes They are Pack Animals and do Sooo Well with More Than One .. Im So Happy w My Lil Pack Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Getting a Husky on Thursday What Should I know?   Getting a Husky on Thursday What Should I know? Empty

Back to top Go down

Getting a Husky on Thursday What Should I know?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1