It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Crate TRaining and Anxiety

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jo
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2010-12-24

Crate TRaining and Anxiety Empty
PostSubject: Crate TRaining and Anxiety   Crate TRaining and Anxiety EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 2:02 am

I am not sure where to post this, so if I should be elsewhere I apologize. Is it possible that a Husky will never like their crate. Chloe has hated it since day 1. She actually has a panic attack when in it. We have had to have our vet give us tranquilizers when we do have to leave her. These are very few in between, there is always someone that wants to babysit Chloe.

We come come home to diarrhea all over each time, she actually flipped her crate over once, moved it across our kitchen once. Will she ever get use to it. Or is it something we are just going to have live with. We are getting a new Husky pup next week and I really want this one to be crate trained.

Any ideas will be helpful.

Thanks
JoAnn
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Crate TRaining and Anxiety   Crate TRaining and Anxiety EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 3:34 am

Kale had separation anxiety BAD, I'd get home to drool "lakes" and urine every time he was in there. solution? moved the crate outside and he's happy as a clam! weird i know! he goes right in, lays down, and sleeps the ENTIRE time...

They do make holistic (homeopathic) anxiety pills that you could try. A lot of them have chamomile and lavender in them.

http://www.petsmart.com/family/index.jsp?f=Taxonomy%2FPET%2F2767076&categoryId=2767170&lmdn=Dog+Health+Care&f=Taxonomy%2FPET%2F2767170&fbc=1&fbn=Taxonomy|Stress+%26+Anxiety+Relief&fbx=0
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Crate TRaining and Anxiety   Crate TRaining and Anxiety EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 9:05 am

There's a sticky in the "Training" section on crate training with some great step-by-step ideas that may help her learn to associate good things with her crate and, ultimately, learn to like it.

About those natural calming pills.... sadly, they did nothing for Sabaka. He has only been stressed in his crate once when we visited family out of town. We gave him the maximum dosage every day we were there and... nothing... Maybe others have had better results.

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Jo
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Crate TRaining and Anxiety   Crate TRaining and Anxiety EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 7:30 pm

No sadly we have tried those natural calming meds and they did nothing. My last resort the vet and pills it is. I just worry about her so much when she gets worked up. I could never crate her outdoors for fear someone might steal her and the big issue, its hot here in AZ, poor Chloe has to wait till its dark to go her ya ya time out.

I am going to read up more on crate training, its just weird all my other dogs have adjusted, just not Miss I am Going to Be Different. haha

Thanks
JO
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Crate TRaining and Anxiety   Crate TRaining and Anxiety EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 8:23 pm

Mya had bad separation anxiety also. We would get home to her face covered in drool from her laying on her side pawing the door of the crate trying to get and/OR her covered in diarrhea. We dealt with this for a while. We had no idea what to do! Very frustrating! At the time her crate was placed in our living room. One day we had to move her crate into our bedroom because we needed the extra space for a get together that we were having. Our house isn't too big so any little space makes a difference. Mya was perfectly fine with the crate in our bedroom. If we only we would have figured that out before Laughing She now stays loose in our bedroom (she's currently 5yrs old). Kody is a perfect angel in his crate, but I'm sure that has a lot to do with the fact that he's in the same room as Mya....even though he's crated....she's there!
Back to top Go down
Jo
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Crate TRaining and Anxiety   Crate TRaining and Anxiety EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 8:28 pm

LIGHTBULB JUST CAME ON!!! DUH!!! Rolling Eyes You may have something here!!! Chloe is not use to being kept in our kitchen/dining area. Her comfort zones are my daughters room or son's. I am going to start with some baby steps and see if putting her in there in her crate calms her. I feel so stupid right now, because I did the same thing with Peanut my Min Pin her comfort zone is my room and I am able to just leave her in there when I go places now, no more crate at all.

I am going to work on this.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I am going to go knock my head against a door now. hahahahah

Jo
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Crate TRaining and Anxiety   Crate TRaining and Anxiety EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 8:54 pm

lol! Jo...you're too funny! I didn't think of that either LIKE AT ALL! It just happened and I was like oh wow DUHHHHH!!! Our bedroom was/is her comfort zone since she's always slept with us. I hope that works for you as well! Please keep us posted. I'm sure that there's a lot more to it than that, but putting her crate somewhere that feels "homey" to her is definitely a start!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Crate TRaining and Anxiety   Crate TRaining and Anxiety Empty

Back to top Go down

Crate TRaining and Anxiety

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1