It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

How do you all get them to sleep at night?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

How do you all get them to sleep at night? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: How do you all get them to sleep at night?   How do you all get them to sleep at night? - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 2:54 pm

Oh thank goodness! I was most terrified there was going to be a mob with torches and pitchforks coming for me for not crating her! And now that you mention it, Heather, nella sleeps under the bed too! Usually when my boyfriend is over she can't stand being on the bed ( they both generate heat like the sun so I guess the two of them together is tooucj for her).

I think it is too funny that they urge you to bed before you're ready, Kim! Bella will just about sleep anywhere I am. If I'm at my xomputer she'll sleep under my chair/desk on my feet. Although, if my father is home there is no prying her away from that man. He is Bellas absolute favorite person in the entire world. When he's home no one else matters and she will -for hours- under the dining room table on his feet asleep.

(Bella has a great love of feet. Not chewin on them, just love to lay on them, or sleep, or if she wants to chew on a toy, she does it on your feet. If he wants you to play she'll run all over find a toy and drop it at your feet! The only time she doesn't is if you're asleep and she doesn't want you to be. Of you haven't gotten up in a reasonable amount of time, she brings a really heavy toy and drops it on your face or smacks you with it D:)

How do you all get them to sleep at night? - Page 2 Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How do you all get them to sleep at night?   How do you all get them to sleep at night? - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 3:04 pm

If your dog is good at being outside a crate, no reason to crate them. If anyone wanted to flame me for that I wouldn't care, I know my dog better than anyone. Wink However I am the only one I know on here who used a dog door and let their dog have free access to the backyard 24/7 even when not home so I'm not exactly someone who follows the safe-rules 100%, lol!

Rogue follows me around to take naps too! If I'm on the computer (desktop), under the desk. On the couch, next to me or next to it. In the kitchen, right infront of the sink.. even the bathroom. Dog is a magnet!

Koda loves my stepdad more than anything, he is visiting next week and Koda will be so happy!
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: How do you all get them to sleep at night?   How do you all get them to sleep at night? - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 3:14 pm

Aw!! Yay for Koda!

Bella saw a doggy door for the first time at a very nice lady's house up the street from us who has a 14 year old red and white husky named Yukon Jack. And within 15 minutes (She lets me take Bella up there to play in her fenced in yard as I don't have one and her other husky passed in Feb. And Yukon doesn't use the yard anymore except to potty) she had gone through the doggy door and was investigating her house! I was so embarrassed! Poor Yukon doesn't want to put up with Puppy antics at his age. And all she wanted to do was terrorize him!

Right now I'm on the desktop ( I got really tired of trying to reply from my iphone) and Bella's underneath me licking my feet about ready to pass outX_X.

Bella's really bad at boundaries just like Rogue! She follows me into the bathroom and then lays down and just stares! Makes for awkward times Sad.

How do you all get them to sleep at night? - Page 2 Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
wintershuman
Newborn
Newborn
wintershuman

Male Join date : 2011-09-09

PostSubject: Re: How do you all get them to sleep at night?   How do you all get them to sleep at night? - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 3:25 pm

Oh man, am I glad I found this thread. I've only had Winter for a week and a half. I adopted him from a shelter, and he's five months old. He has to be crated because right now he's destructo-doggy. I've been feeling a little guilty that he's in his crate for six or seven hours at night - mostly sleeping! The first couple of nights, we had him we had to do the 3:00 a.m. "go potty" trips, but he's really starting to get used to his crate, and I was worried I was keeping him in there too long for his age.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pinemeadowpond.com
AngelsHalo
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: How do you all get them to sleep at night?   How do you all get them to sleep at night? - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 6:29 am

He husky Halo is 2 months old and he whines and howls when I put him in the crate and lock it at night. I feel horrible when he does that. I have been now putting him in the crate with the door open after he lays down or starts to fall asleep on the floor. So far at night he hasn't had any accidents, he just wakes me up between 2am-4am to go potty outside. He also doesn't bite any of my stuff either. He just waits till I turn my head or fall asleep then he comes out of the crate and sleeps on the fall.

Is this ok?, I think that this is fine, but so many trainers are pushing crate training and telling me to lock it up and let him cry.

I feel as if he's young and I could always crate train in a couple of months when his bladder came hold it through the night, so I kno that when he's crying it because he wants to come out, not that he has to go potty
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: How do you all get them to sleep at night?   How do you all get them to sleep at night? - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 10:38 am

AngelsHalo wrote:
He husky Halo is 2 months old and he whines and howls when I put him in the crate and lock it at night. I feel horrible when he does that. I have been now putting him in the crate with the door open after he lays down or starts to fall asleep on the floor. So far at night he hasn't had any accidents, he just wakes me up between 2am-4am to go potty outside. He also doesn't bite any of my stuff either. He just waits till I turn my head or fall asleep then he comes out of the crate and sleeps on the fall.

Is this ok?, I think that this is fine, but so many trainers are pushing crate training and telling me to lock it up and let him cry.

I feel as if he's young and I could always crate train in a couple of months when his bladder came hold it through the night, so I kno that when he's crying it because he wants to come out, not that he has to go potty

It's fine. Some puppies just naturally do better outside of the crate and if he isn't destructive or getting into trouble there is no reason not to leave him out. Just ensure there is nothing he can get into or hurt himself on and with that much extra freedom setting an alarm for the "mid night" potty break would be a good idea. With more freedom it isn't uncommon for them to find a place to eliminate inside without the normal warning.

Crate training young is always a good idea as they get used to it and it is easier to do when they are puppies, it just becomes part of their normal routine. If you ever need to crate for any reason it is always easier having a base to work off of then putting a full grown dog who has no idea what it is in one. It is just easier to do in the long run to train young.

There is also the added security that you always know where the puppy is in case something happens (think fire).

If however your puppy is more relaxed, and you are comfortable with it, there is no reason you MUST crate your puppy over night. I only crated mine for maybe a month each personally.

Best of luck to you Wink

~Chris~

Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: How do you all get them to sleep at night?   How do you all get them to sleep at night? - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 12:59 pm

Thanks Chris
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: How do you all get them to sleep at night?   How do you all get them to sleep at night? - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 3:14 pm

Yep, I'm with Chris. I never crated Mya, Kody, or Asia at night and they all did fine. I would wake up and let them out to potty in the middle of the night or if I heard them wake up to avoid any accidents. They did stay crated while we were at work though. Kody just recently got free roam of the house with Mya (he'll be 3yrs old in August), but Asia still stays crated.
Back to top Go down
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: How do you all get them to sleep at night?   How do you all get them to sleep at night? - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 3:32 pm

Luckily, Lycus knows that his crate means sleep time.
Back to top Go down
complextina
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: helping ur husky sleep   How do you all get them to sleep at night? - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 12:38 pm

every evening before bedtime i take my 3 huskies out for a walk about 1 -2 miles once we get back they are more relaxed and usually are OK with falling asleep after that... try to make a set schedule best as possible for days u go to the dog park times u feed them and times u go for their walks i try to do their walks in the evenings that way its also not to hot for them in the summer to do walks.
~Christina

http://complexina.wordpress.com/
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: How do you all get them to sleep at night?   How do you all get them to sleep at night? - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 1:03 pm

I let mine out at about 8:30pm everynight they then get a cookie and it is off to bed they sleep in our bedroom on their beds. Kerian is the only one that wakes up in the middle of the night she does once in a while usually when she goes out too early in the evening.

Back to top Go down
Decuervo
Puppy
Puppy
Decuervo

PostSubject: Re: How do you all get them to sleep at night?   How do you all get them to sleep at night? - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 11:15 am

Anushka sleeps on her pet bed next to me at night. I know she doesn't sleep all night though as I hear the jingle jangle of her collar. The first year we had her I got curious as to what she was up to after a couple of nights and snuck off after her. I got caught a couple of times and she stopped whatever she was going to do and just went back to bed so I thought she was up to no good. One night I was especially sneaky, or lucky (hard to sneak up on a husky), and was able to watch what she was doing. Turns out she gets up every couple of hours and walks in to the kids rooms to check on them and lay down with them awhile and then comes back to bed. The more I get to know Anushka the more I love her. Best dog I ever had.
Back to top Go down
Christina Davis
Newborn
Newborn
Christina Davis

PostSubject: Getting my husky to sleep   How do you all get them to sleep at night? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 26, 2016 3:43 am

I tried ignoring him when he barks constantly in his crate (if I spelled it right) but my head started pounding and I couldn't fall asleep is there another way I can get him to sleep in there?
Back to top Go down
HuskyLear
Senior
Senior
HuskyLear

Female Join date : 2013-02-21

PostSubject: Re: How do you all get them to sleep at night?   How do you all get them to sleep at night? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 26, 2016 8:42 am

Christina does he get enough exercise? Is he actually tired at bed time? Or is it the crate? This whole thread has great advise and as you can see every husky is different as ever environment they are in is different. Give us some information Christina, is the crate in the room with you? Can he see you? Is it a dark environment? is there air movement by the crate? How long have you tried crating, not duration of night but the practice of crating? From day one or is this a new thing? How old is the puppy? What is in the crate ? Do you know if he barks to bark or he is barking at something? Does he claw at the crate? What does he eventually do, exhaustion? slobber everywhere? chew or paw crate? Does he consider the crate a safe place? Do you have to place him in the crate or is it a safe place? How much time in what intervals is he spending in his crate?

Okay sorry so many questions, just trying to figure out.

We have always crate during working and bedtime as a puppy until the puppy can wake us up successfully from sleep to have us take them to potty. I used to say until they could get on and off the bed but unless our 7 mo Vlad has a burst of energy he does not think he can climb on the bed. Also my husband does not spend much time during the days away from his home office (2-3 hours average.) At night and bedtime we all go up together and used to put a sheet over the puppy crate so the other dogs would not bother the puppy. Then so he would have dark and not see us but know we were right there with him. We established a routine for the bedtime procedure: what time to take the water away, when to have last potty, when did he have last poo, when to go up to the bedroom, the order of getting in the crate getting a treat and then lights out. ETC.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do you all get them to sleep at night?   How do you all get them to sleep at night? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

How do you all get them to sleep at night?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2