It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

How do I stop him...?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
gvargas
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2011-03-08

How do I stop him...? Empty
PostSubject: How do I stop him...?   How do I stop him...? EmptySat Jun 25, 2011 4:41 pm

Koda...I love him to death, but he is a little rascal. I'm not sure what to do when it comes to certain things he does. First, he chews on furniture & anything else he can get his mouth on. I have plenty of toys & stuffed animals for him & of course sometimes he steals his own from our rooms..lol. My grandma gets SO upset by his constant chewing...I have tried the bitter spray-HE LIKES IT! He licks it off & then starts chewing again. Shocked I try to find other things to get his attention, but he always goes back to the wood tables, desk, etc.
Another thing is playing with my grandmas dogs (we live in two sperate houses on one property) he loves to play-they DO NOT. Koda constantly chases her chihuahua (Eebies) & bites on her little neck-I know that he's just playing, but she is definitely not interested. So when he does it, I try to get him away & tell him NO, but he just goes after her again. Then there's my grandma's other dog (M.J.) who I seriously think hates Koda. I give them all the same attention, but he is so jealous of Koda that when he sees him, he automatically growls, barks, & attacks him-trying to bite him wherever. He's a shitzu maltese mix so he's way smaller than Koda, but he is definitely making Koda look like the small dog..lol. If anyone can give me some advice on how to correct the behavior, it would greatly be appreciated(: Hope everyone has a great weekend!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/genbunny.vargas
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: How do I stop him...?   How do I stop him...? EmptySat Jun 25, 2011 9:01 pm

Huskies are a high energy breed. If they are not given the proper amount of exercise, they will get bored and often turn to chewing and destruction.

How much exercise do you give him on a daily basis? What does he do to release energy?

How do I stop him...? Hailey10
Back to top Go down
CrazyDogs
Puppy
Puppy

Female Join date : 2011-06-03

PostSubject: Re: How do I stop him...?   How do I stop him...? EmptyMon Jun 27, 2011 2:55 pm

You need to move up here so Koda and Demon can play. Demon is the same way- Chews on EVERYTHING/ANYTHING that's within reach. I have to keep a constant eye on him and the second I see him chewing on something I take it away say "no bite" then give him something he can chew on. Demon also just wants to play with other dogs all the time, big or small, doesn't matter. Small dogs do not like him because he's so high energy and can get too rough. So, like I said. Move up here and it'll solve all your problems Very Happy. j/k. I notice with Demon if I get him to the dog park at least once a week he's more calm around other dogs.
Back to top Go down
gvargas
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: How do I stop him...?   How do I stop him...? EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 2:58 pm

Right now he's actually getting very little exercise besides playing in the yard, the reason being that the neighborhood I live in has many strays, & while I was walking him in the park one day he got attacked by TWO dogs. It felt like forever before someone came to help me & it definitely left me afraid to return to the park, or anywhere around here. Sad I think we were both traumatized by the experience. When my grandmas dog MJ barks & growls Koda pees right where he's at. It's difficult to see him like that-& I don't want him to be afraid, but I guess I have to get over the fear too.
Ashley-If only..lol. I think about getting another Sibe for Koda to play with sometimes. I think he needs someone with his energy-but the way he tears things up right now, my family would have a FIT! He definitely needs some time with dogs his size-not lazy ones like my grandmas. & just before I logged onto here, I was picking up ripped up mail-Koda ripped it & left it everywhere. I guess if it wasn't for the fact I needed that mail, I'd be happy that I have my own personal shredder(;
By the way-Both of you have BEAUTIFUL dogs.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: How do I stop him...?   How do I stop him...? EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 3:31 pm

I think you just answered your own question, you need to wear Koda out! get him out for walks that are appropriate for his age. play in the backyard with him give him mental stimulation and training. it also sounds like you need to still puppy proof your home, having him is a whole new ball game and if you pick up all your stuff it will not get eaten, the last thing you want is to end up in the ER because something is suck in his insides that he can not pass from eating it, socks undies, bras, dish rags you name it he will try to eat it. Sorry to come off so harsh but i think you need to do some reading up on husky puppies as you seem unprepared .... its not to late to fix it. maybe signing up for a puppy class would be helpful as well, if you can not control him as a puppy you will not be able to once he becomes a teenager, and its sad to say but that is when huskies end up in shelters....
we are here to help you, but you need to do the work.

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: How do I stop him...?   How do I stop him...? EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 3:47 pm

jbealer wrote:
the last thing you want is to end up in the ER because something is suck in his insides that he can not pass from eating it, socks undies, bras, dish rags you name it he will try to eat it.

OH YES YES YES! I had 2 pretty bad scares with Kody and socks. He ate my hubby's work socks and then couldn't throw them up. Finally he did, but we were about to rush him to the ER on a Sunday because he kept puking out stomach fluids and was about to pass out. THAT WAS SO SCARY!

I do my best to pick up EVERYTHING. I even have the garbage can lid taped so that he can't open it. Any little thing left out...they WILL find and destroy and worse off EAT Mad
Back to top Go down
gvargas
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: How do I stop him...?   How do I stop him...? EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 5:02 pm

Jennifer-Thanks for the advice-no worries, harsh or not, you are just being honest. I'm here because I need advice, so I will take whatever I can get. So,Thank You! & you are very right-I don't believe I thought about all the different things I would need to do (puppy proofing...) I guess I figured that if it was out of his reach he wouldn't be able to get it, but I definitely underestimated him. He finds a way into everything. I am surely going to get all the things necessary to keep him safe(: I definitely want to keep him forever<3
Melissa-that sounds awful, but I am glad that Kody is ok! Thank you for sharing & helping me out(:
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: How do I stop him...?   How do I stop him...? EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 8:24 pm

My Willow is a chewer as well. I have to keep everything picked up and not within her "standing" reach, however, she has calmed way down since I got her and I think it's because of advice I have followed. Granted she could just be better because she is maturing, but I really do believe it's becuase of this exercise as well. I have successfully trained her that my shoes are off limits now and she has complete access to them. She LOVED my shoes in the beginning. So..... this is what I do and it can't hurt for you to try right??? Whenever Willow grabs something I don't want her to have, I do not say a word and just get infront of her. If she trys to turn around and run away I keep moving in front of her untils she will finally stop and look at me. Then all I do is stand there and look down at her. She will look at me, then look away, then look at me and then eventually she will drop the item in question and then lays down. I will then reach down and pick up the item and walk away. When I started this with my shoes, she would go right back to it a half hour later, but the more I did this the less she grabbed them. The first few times I also had to stand there for several minutes before she understood what I wanted from her but now she will instantly drop and lay down. I do not say one word to her the whole time. I just stand there and look at her. I got this advice from the dog whisperer. She still chews and if it is something that she can gulp down in two seconds, then I just reach in her mouth and take it from her, but for items like socks (she loves my sons socks) then I have the time to do this exercise with her. I would say it has improved her bad chewing habits by 70%. That's better than nothing....
Back to top Go down
Muddy~Mira
Adult
Adult
Muddy~Mira

Female Join date : 2010-09-07

PostSubject: Re: How do I stop him...?   How do I stop him...? EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 12:35 am

Exercise More for sure Ur pups BOred ! Bored leads to destruction Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
gvargas
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: How do I stop him...?   How do I stop him...? EmptyFri Jul 01, 2011 1:29 am

Thank You Mindy-I will definitely try that-& nope, it can't hurt at all to try. Whatever helps, I'm all for it! (:

Jenni-Yes, I believe so too. A new park opened up in my neighborhood, I'm going to go there tomorrow. I'm just hoping I don't run into any strays EVER again. EeeK!

Thanks for all the great tips & advice-I really appreciate all the help!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do I stop him...?   How do I stop him...? Empty

Back to top Go down

How do I stop him...?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1