It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Dental Care, not sure where this belongs...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Dental Care, not sure where this belongs... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dental Care, not sure where this belongs...   Dental Care, not sure where this belongs... - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 11:35 am

Here4thePics wrote:
I tried not to look to closely but is that a rawhide bone?

If so be careful rawhide can block a dog's digestive track up really bad.... (Been there done that)

rileyflorence wrote:
?! Please, do look closely at everything I do. ... I'll be removing the raw hide now.

Len's correct on the rawhides. Rawhides can cause internal blockages if the dog swallows a large enough piece to prevent it from passing through the body. It's one of those things that is up to the individual to decide if they want to risk using or not. A lot of people use rawhides and never have a problem, others encounter problems right away and still others may go years without an issues and then experience a blockage one day. There is nothing wrong with giving rawhides and if you do give them I would advise closely monitoring the dog to ensure they are not swallowing large pieces and you'll probably want to throw it out once it gets to a size where the dog might stop chewing and just swallow the whole thing. Many of us use rawhides with caution, myself included.

I've grown up with dogs who've been given rawhides their whole life and I've been giving my own dogs rawhides the entire time I've had mine and neither myself or any other dog I've known personally who's had rawhides on a regular basis has ever experienced an internal blockage or problem due to a rawhide. With that in mind, I know the risk and I feel comfortable giving rawhides to my dogs. I won't ever tell someone that they should or shouldn't feed rawhides, that's a personal decision...just know the risks and decide for yourself what works best for you. Also keep in mind that even with things that are digestible there is still some risk of choking and blockage which is why I can't possibly worry about everything. Heck, my sibe couldn't pass a piece of raw chicken bone one time and it ended up having to come all the way back up the front end and we're talking raw chicken bone! I'm just saying there's risk with just about everything, swallow a big chunk of antler and you'd risk a blockage there too just to put things in perspective. Wink Len does have a valid point and concern and I don't want to discredit or play it down in any way, just know that rawhides aren't this horrible thing that you should never use.

We almost have to use rawhides because our sibe is a MAJOR chewer and we'd be in the poor house if we had to buy more expensive chews all the time for him. We do get other more expensive stuff occasionally but rawhides are his main chew and he can easily go through several rawhides in a week which he's been getting for 4 years now under supervision and we've never had a problem. Since Appa isn't much of a chewer then you might be able to go with the more expensive chews since they will probably last a much longer amount of time with him.

Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Male Join date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Dental Care, not sure where this belongs...   Dental Care, not sure where this belongs... - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 5:24 pm

Two things I've learned about bully sticks today.
1) Appa LOVES them. He's been going for about 1.5 hours now.
2) They are disgusting after he's softened and chewed it.
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Dental Care, not sure where this belongs...   Dental Care, not sure where this belongs... - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 5:51 pm

rileyflorence wrote:
Two things I've learned about bully sticks today.
1) Appa LOVES them. He's been going for about 1.5 hours now.
2) They are disgusting after he's softened and chewed it.

Hopefully later this evening you will not learn the 3rd thing that, in addition to those two things, we have learned:
3) They often cause gas!

Ewwww.... Shocked
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Dental Care, not sure where this belongs...   Dental Care, not sure where this belongs... - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 11:10 pm

MelissaI wrote:
Where do you guys get the antlers?

Go hunting elk in Colorado, I understand they have plenty to share. Hell hire Ed to be your guide.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dental Care, not sure where this belongs...   Dental Care, not sure where this belongs... - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Dental Care, not sure where this belongs...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2