It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Elbow Fur?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Male Join date : 2011-05-15

Elbow Fur? Empty
PostSubject: Elbow Fur?   Elbow Fur? EmptySun Jun 12, 2011 10:25 pm

Appa's "elbow fur" is always a bit ratty. We brush it the best we can every day with a slicker brush, but it just seems a mess compared to the rest of him. I'll try and get a picture up, but is it normal for the hair there to be messy?
Back to top Go down
KareBear
Teenager
Teenager
KareBear

Female Join date : 2011-06-10

Elbow Fur? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elbow Fur?   Elbow Fur? EmptySun Jun 12, 2011 10:28 pm

Aevyn doesn't even look like he has enough fur there TO be messy. >_<

Granted, I think the groomer may have done something to it. Or maybe its just short because he's still a pup?

My issue with Aevyn his is back legs, I can't seem to ever get all the excess fur off of them.
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

Elbow Fur? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elbow Fur?   Elbow Fur? EmptyMon Jun 13, 2011 12:34 am

Does the fur look a bit red or brown? Elara's fur gets like that on her elbows, but not Siku's. I was told to put destin cream on it and it's supposed to help the skin. I've also started putting some Ice on Ice spray on it. The Ice on Ice is great at making messy hair look better.

Elbow Fur? Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Elbow Fur? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elbow Fur?   Elbow Fur? EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 1:20 am

No, it looks the same as the rest of his fur only ratty, and the texture is different too.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Elbow Fur? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elbow Fur?   Elbow Fur? EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 6:44 am

You don't think it's just from him laying down? Since the elbows are a pressure point when they're laying, they can be more problematic when laying down on hard floors/surfaces. Does he have long fur at the elbow? Could you take a picture for us maybe?

Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

Elbow Fur? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elbow Fur?   Elbow Fur? EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 10:23 am

I still recommend the Ice on Ice (or another coat conditioner) and brushing it out. Elara has some messy spots on her back end where her hair looks all tangled cause she sits on it. I put some Ice on Ice on it and brushed it and it looks normal again.

Elbow Fur? Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Elbow Fur? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elbow Fur?   Elbow Fur? EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 11:11 am

I was imagining it was just that he was laying on it, but having Appa be my first pet EVER I'm a little over-protective of the guy... I'll get a picture of up this afternoon.

I'll definitely look into a coat conditioner! He has the butt-fuzz problem too.
Back to top Go down
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Elbow Fur? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elbow Fur?   Elbow Fur? EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 11:23 am

Here's a photo, I had a little more time this morning than I thought. It's kind of hard to see in the photo...

Elbow Fur? Img_1913
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Elbow Fur? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elbow Fur?   Elbow Fur? EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 12:42 pm

That doesn't look bad at all. You might just want to give that Ice on Ice product a try and see if it helps any. If you do try it, let us know how it works!

Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

Elbow Fur? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elbow Fur?   Elbow Fur? EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 1:22 pm

Ginger's elbows look fine....Storm, on the other hand, his elbows look ratty, sometimes even a little balding - which I assumed it was due to that being a pressure point...

Newborn
Newborn
foxsfamily

Elbow Fur? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elbow Fur?   Elbow Fur? EmptySun Jun 19, 2011 9:23 pm

How often do you see him licking his elbows? I'm only asking because of the slight red discoloration there. Dogs don't process iron the same way people do, and excess iron is pushed out of the body through saliva and tears...licking is one of the things that can cause that light rust colored bit of staining on the elbows...add that to laying on them as often as dogs do and eh...it happens. There are products you can pick up that will lessen it some...maybe talk to a groomer, or your vet if its that concerning?

Fox gets the same sort of thing there...it looks alot better if we comb it out after a bath but we have to stay on top of making sure he's brushed there or it starts to get ratty and rough looking
Back to top Go down
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Elbow Fur? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elbow Fur?   Elbow Fur? EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 12:33 am

I've actually never seen him licking that part of his arm before. In person there isn't any red discoloration.

We've been really working on his "pants" and elbows the past couple of days and they are looking way better. There is a TON of loose undercoat in his "pants" that we've been getting out and it looks so much better. I think his previous owner kept him brushed, but only in the easy to reach spots.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Elbow Fur? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elbow Fur?   Elbow Fur? Empty

Back to top Go down

Elbow Fur?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1