It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

(Resolved...our girl will be home soon!!!)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
foxsfamily
Newborn
Newborn
foxsfamily

(Resolved...our girl will be home soon!!!) Empty
PostSubject: (Resolved...our girl will be home soon!!!)   (Resolved...our girl will be home soon!!!) EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 6:58 pm

I don't know if this is the right place to post this or not...if its not could someone please move it to the correct place. I've decided to take in a Husky in Georgia. I've sent a crate, real dog food, and am working on finding a vet there that will see her but let me pay for it from here. This girl wandered onto the people who have hers property a year ago, and no owner has been found. They don't want her, she hasn't been to a vet in all that time, hasn't had her nails clipped and spends most of her time on a tie out in a yard. She's got issues with a tick infestation that needs to be resolved asap so she doesn't end up with anemia problems. The most responsible person in this situation is a fifteen year old kid whose never owned a dog before and isn't going to keep her.

Okay, so...trying to get Chukchi (Unwanted female Husky in Fayetteville) from Georgia to Wisconsin. I'm not discounting flying as an option...but as I'm now looking at a June/July re-home there is a possibility that many of the airlines won't ship animals because of extreme summer heat...or so I hear. Several people have pointed out contacting rescues, or other groups that help with transportation of animals being re-homed for assistance. I have begun attempting to make contact. Other people have suggested trying to coordinate through forums to try to arrange a transport train...Several rescues have been contacted, and because its a private rehome and they have laws and regulations they're required to follow there hasn't been a whole lot of luck there...frustrating but eh, the world is what it is and all we can do is work with what we have.

This is that attempt. If you're willing to help out with any part of the transport between there and here you would not only be a superstar...but it would be greatly appreciated. With gas being what it is at present I did try to make the points a bit closer together...still its a long trip 950 miles give or take...We've gotten it covered from Mattoon, IL to Algoma, WI (393 miles plus or minus), but still need help for the distances listed below.

If you can help out if you could copy the Checkpoint list along with the points you can help between in your reply that would be fabulous...please keep in mind these aren't exact checkpoints, more or less they're the nearest major city to the highway.

Fayetteville, GA to Cartersville, GA:
Cartersville, GA to Dalton, GA:
Dalton, GA to Chattanooga, TN:
Chattanooga, TN to Manchester, TN:
Manchester, TN to Nashville, TN:
Nashville, TN to Hopkinsville, KY:
Hopkinsville, KY to Madisonville, KY:
Madisonville, KY to Henderson, KY:
Henderson, KY to Fairfield, KY:
Fairfield, KY to Mattoon, IL:

Last edited by foxsfamily on Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
foxsfamily
Newborn
Newborn
foxsfamily

PostSubject: Re: (Resolved...our girl will be home soon!!!)   (Resolved...our girl will be home soon!!!) EmptySun Jun 19, 2011 6:29 pm

Nashville, TN to Hopkinsville, KY:
Hopkinsville, KY to Madisonville, KY:
Madisonville, KY to Henderson, KY:
Henderson, KY to Fairfield, KY:
Fairfield, KY to Mattoon, IL:
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: (Resolved...our girl will be home soon!!!)   (Resolved...our girl will be home soon!!!) EmptySun Jun 19, 2011 10:34 pm

Hey, you got more volunteers! That's awesome!
Back to top Go down
foxsfamily
Newborn
Newborn
foxsfamily

PostSubject: Re: (Resolved...our girl will be home soon!!!)   (Resolved...our girl will be home soon!!!) EmptySun Jun 19, 2011 10:38 pm

Yeah there's a woman with a plane whose willing to pick her up in Fayetteville and fly her up to Nashville...

So we've only got three hundred some odd more miles to get someone to sign on for
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: (Resolved...our girl will be home soon!!!)   (Resolved...our girl will be home soon!!!) EmptySun Jun 19, 2011 10:56 pm

Hopefully with new members joining both forums daily, you will be able to get more volunteers. Are we still looking at August as the month?
Back to top Go down
foxsfamily
Newborn
Newborn
foxsfamily

PostSubject: Re: (Resolved...our girl will be home soon!!!)   (Resolved...our girl will be home soon!!!) EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 12:08 am

I've got to get with everyone and find out how much of an inconvenience it would be to push it forward.
Back to top Go down
foxsfamily
Newborn
Newborn
foxsfamily

PostSubject: Re: (Resolved...our girl will be home soon!!!)   (Resolved...our girl will be home soon!!!) EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 4:11 pm

Update:

We've been put in touch with pilots n paws...this is an amazing group of people. It's all volunteers and several of the members are pilots. We have someone to get her from Fayetteville to Mo, and then a pilot will be taking her further north if we can get the schedule worked out...that pilot is working on coordinating with another pilot to get her to Illinois where she'll start the ground travel portion of her trip. Dates are super important at this point

Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: (Resolved...our girl will be home soon!!!)   (Resolved...our girl will be home soon!!!) EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 4:26 pm

I don't want to seem unhelpful but I'm kinda curious, why not just fly out to GA yourself, rent a car down there and drive back up with her? Make a fun road trip/vacation of it during which you will have a chance to bond along the way. Sorry, that's just what I would do. Smile

Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: (Resolved...our girl will be home soon!!!)   (Resolved...our girl will be home soon!!!) EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 4:29 pm

I'm so excited at how this is all working out Steph!

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
foxsfamily
Newborn
Newborn
foxsfamily

PostSubject: Re: (Resolved...our girl will be home soon!!!)   (Resolved...our girl will be home soon!!!) EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 5:26 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
I don't want to seem unhelpful but I'm kinda curious, why not just fly out to GA yourself, rent a car down there and drive back up with her? Make a fun road trip/vacation of it during which you will have a chance to bond along the way. Sorry, that's just what I would do. Smile

We've lived here for only a little over a year (moved here after we got back from Iraq). My husband recently started working out of state...our nearest family member able to help out with watching the kids is three hours in the wrong direction, and she's blind....They're certainly too young to be left alone for that sort of an absence, which would mean they would have to come with. Flying 5 people to GA to do the road trip back starts to be cost prohibitive, especially after you throw in the unstable price of gasoline...actually renting the car is...meh small cost comparatively speaking even if they do charge mileage.

We do have a few camping family bonding sorts of trips scheduled throughout the summer...and essentially this one road trip once food and accommodations that would have to be made would end up eating up the entire budget we've set aside.

I like my neighbors, but I don't generally trust them to look after my dogs...it's not that I'm a snob...it's that they're all old, or horribly out of shape/overweight and seem to have a difficult time managing their own itty bitty 20lb dogs...(looots of old retired people here...in fact the closest person under 60 is two blocks down in almost any direction), I can't see them being able to provide the Husky we do have with the amount of exercise he needs to keep him from being destructive/stir crazy.

If this doesn't work out then we'll be flying her up commercially, and will be at the mercy of the weather and temperatures between here and there...I have looked at a few of the pet specific transports that do flights for $$ based upon the recommendations of others in other parts of the country who have used them successfully, and have received less than stellar replies because none of them have direct flights between here and where she is...which would have her flying to the west or east coast and then up here...that seems crazy to me.

At this point fingers crossed, breath held and...a lot of waiting and prayers
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: (Resolved...our girl will be home soon!!!)   (Resolved...our girl will be home soon!!!) EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 7:43 pm

I completely understand. I really hope everything works out for you. We've got all our fingers and paws crossed that someone can make it all happen. That is one lucky little doggie for all the trouble it's taking to move her from one place to the other. Very Happy

Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: (Resolved...our girl will be home soon!!!)   (Resolved...our girl will be home soon!!!) EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 8:39 pm

foxsfamily wrote:
I've got to get with everyone and find out how much of an inconvenience it would be to push it forward.

I can push my portion of the trip forward so just let me know once you get the details worked out with the others.
Back to top Go down
foxsfamily
Newborn
Newborn
foxsfamily

PostSubject: Re: (Resolved...our girl will be home soon!!!)   (Resolved...our girl will be home soon!!!) EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 4:16 pm

Update:

I've contacted everyone involved in the transport thread, but I figured I'd update everyone else. Our girl is still being treated for whipworm, which is transmittable to other dogs if they aren't specifically on Interceptor heartworm preventative as it was the brand the vet knew specifically also worked to protect against this nasty little parasite. Cathy's plane is down and she would have to borrow a plane to complete her leg of the trip...the weekend after we'd planned things out...Cathy is going to be in Wisconsin anyway...soooo...to keep from exposing other dogs to whipworm, and to keep Cathy from spending two weekends in a row driving/flying and of course to save her the trouble of having to borrow someone elses plane Cathy has volunteered to just drive her up here when she comes up the 25th/26th.

So short version: She's still comming home, but she'll be here a weekend later than we'd planned.

and everyone whose offered to help really is a superstar. My family and I really can't thank you all enough for everything you've done.

Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: (Resolved...our girl will be home soon!!!)   (Resolved...our girl will be home soon!!!) EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 8:05 pm

Please post pics when you get her home!
Back to top Go down
foxsfamily
Newborn
Newborn
foxsfamily

PostSubject: Re: (Resolved...our girl will be home soon!!!)   (Resolved...our girl will be home soon!!!) EmptySat Jul 16, 2011 12:24 am

nag me about that!!! you know how bad I am with dragging out the camera
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: (Resolved...our girl will be home soon!!!)   (Resolved...our girl will be home soon!!!) EmptySat Jul 16, 2011 6:54 pm

Glad to hear she'll be coming home soon! Smile Congratulations, and yes! Must post pictures Smile

(Resolved...our girl will be home soon!!!) Hailey10
Back to top Go down
foxsfamily
Newborn
Newborn
foxsfamily

PostSubject: Re: (Resolved...our girl will be home soon!!!)   (Resolved...our girl will be home soon!!!) EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 4:25 pm

(Resolved...our girl will be home soon!!!) The_ar10
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: (Resolved...our girl will be home soon!!!)   (Resolved...our girl will be home soon!!!) EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 4:29 pm

OMG- YAY!! She's gorgeous! Thank you so much for rescuing her!

(Resolved...our girl will be home soon!!!) Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: (Resolved...our girl will be home soon!!!)   (Resolved...our girl will be home soon!!!) Empty

Back to top Go down

(Resolved...our girl will be home soon!!!)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1