It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =(

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =( - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =(   What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =( - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 9:08 pm

Well, what Kody has is fungus! The vet said that he could have picked it up from laying his nose on sand or something moist. Not sure where he would have laid his nose on sand, but knowing Kody and everything that he's always getting into it could be. He prescribed antibiotics and an antifungal solution to put it on. I see that putting that solution on him twice a day is going to be a process. I tried putting it on a cotton ball and dabbing his nose, but he licks it right off and then starts sneezing =\

The vet also said that he hopes the antibiotics work because if not he'll have to give him antifungal pills and he prefers not to. Not sure why...guess they're strong.
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =(   What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =( - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 9:19 pm

Good news as far as it being something treatable. Hope he heals up fast.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =(   What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =( - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 9:22 pm

Thanks Brian!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =(   What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =( - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 9:40 pm

I'm so careful now on our walks making sure G&S don't sniffing and poking their noses for too long in the tall grass or any other grass!

Hope Kody gets better soon!

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =(   What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =( - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 10:29 pm

yep, you and me both Claudia! I've always been pulling Kody away from EVERYTHING so that he won't EAT IT, but now it's the eating issue and the trees/grasss/dirt touching his nose! Ughh!
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =(   What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =( - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 11:21 pm

I put it on my finger and then wiped it on Odins nose while holding his mouth shut and kept it like that for at least a minute just so it could at least have a chance at working.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =(   What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =( - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 11:41 pm

So glad it was something that's easy to treat. Anti-fungal meds are strong. I had to take them once when I got ringworm (I know, EWWWW Embarassed ) and I could only take one pill a month for three months! I guess they are hard on the liver. I'm always grabbing stuff out of the girls mouths or pulling them away from some nasty thing on walks. Its amazing how quick and sneaky they are!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =(   What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =( - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 5:36 am

Glad you got it identified and that it's easily treatable. Poor Kody! The things they get into lol Razz

Hope he heals up quickly, keep us updated on his progress!

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =(   What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =( - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 10:20 am

arooroomom wrote:
I put it on my finger and then wiped it on Odins nose while holding his mouth shut and kept it like that for at least a minute just so it could at least have a chance at working.

Yep, that's what I've tried doing, but easier said then done..lol. Not even with Ivan holding him can I keep his mouth shut for not even 10 seconds. He goes nuts! Does not like it! =\
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =(   What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =( - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 10:24 am

Lu&Katsmom wrote:
So glad it was something that's easy to treat. Anti-fungal meds are strong. I had to take them once when I got ringworm (I know, EWWWW Embarassed ) and I could only take one pill a month for three months! I guess they are hard on the liver. I'm always grabbing stuff out of the girls mouths or pulling them away from some nasty thing on walks. Its amazing how quick and sneaky they are!

Don't worry I got ringworm once too Embarassed I didn't have to take meds though. The cream worked. I'm constantly pulling stuff out of his mouth too. Sometimes I don't even know what it is when prying his mouth open. This is going to sound REALLY NASTY,but a few months ago it ended up being another dogs poop. Yep, POOP! Right in my hand. I was freaking out! NASTYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!! LOL
Back to top Go down
avalentine
Newborn
Newborn
avalentine

Female Join date : 2011-02-18

PostSubject: Re: What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =(   What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =( - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 12:55 pm

My boy gets boo boos like that but its an allergy my holistic vet suggested unscented aloe baby wipes and wipe his face down after his walks to get pollens ect off.
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =(   What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =( - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 01, 2014 2:56 pm

Bringing this thread back because a similar thing has been happening with Mishka. I thought he originally had just scratched it but after 2 weeks it never got any better. :/ So to the vet we go, she gave him a cortizone shot and I have been trying to put a fungal cream on his nose since she said it might be ringworm. Well it looked like it was getting better but now it looks like it's getting bad again.

What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =( - Page 2 20140315

What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =( - Page 2 20140313

What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =( - Page 2 20140314

And the little brat won't let me put medicine on it consistently (plus he licks it off). Not sure what else to do. :/  It started around the time I was puppy sitting. So I dunno WHAT it could be. :/

Monika30
Puppy
Puppy
Monika30

Female Join date : 2013-09-24

PostSubject: Re: What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =(   What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =( - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 02, 2014 8:38 pm

I could be way off but it looks like a beginning of discoid lupus erythematosus on Mishka. I would take him to the vet to have it checked out Sad
Back to top Go down
Danzig's Mommy
Senior
Senior
Danzig's Mommy

Female Join date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =(   What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =( - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 02, 2014 10:43 pm

Wyatt has a similar problem but it has worsened over the past two years. We've taken him to the vet and first they thought it was lupus, which it supposedly was not because the steroids didn't work. Then they thought it was a really bad bacterial infection and the cream for that didn't work. I asked his surgeon after the tumor was removed and he thought it was bacterial as well.

I've done A LOT of research on Discoid Lupus and both GSP's and Huskies are prone to it. I'm not saying what Mishka has it (I hope not) but it does look similar to the pics I've seen. I'd go to the vet because they can stop the progression if you catch it soon enough, with a steroid cream.

Keep us updated, I'm still trying to solve Wyatt's mystery.
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

PostSubject: Re: What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =(   What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =( - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 02, 2014 11:11 pm

Yeah the vet said it could be a ringworm and gave a cortizone shot and I have TRIED to put a fungal medication on it. It started to look better but it got back to what it looked like before. He will not let me put a cream on it. He got really bad with me this morning about it but I'm about to fight him again to put some more on it. It seems to have been working because it looks like it gets better and then looks worse. So I'm not sure.

I'll definitely call my vet and discuss the possibility of lupus though.

Does it normally just crop up out of nowhere? Because that's how this just appeared out of nowhere one day.

Danzig's Mommy
Senior
Senior
Danzig's Mommy

PostSubject: Re: What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =(   What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =( - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 03, 2014 11:50 am

I'm not completely sure, but it seems to be a gradual process because the tissue breaks down over time.
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

PostSubject: Re: What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =(   What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =( - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 03, 2014 12:43 pm

I didn't get a chance to dig up a ton of info on it last night and from what I did read it had no info on the progression from nothing to appearance. So it makes me wonder. Today his nose looks less inflamed and it's a lighter pink color.

I've managed to put more meds on it so maybe that is helping. I'm still going to talk to my vet about it though.

Danzig's Mommy
Senior
Senior
Danzig's Mommy

PostSubject: Re: What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =(   What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =( - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 03, 2014 12:49 pm

Yeah for sure. Two different vets looked at Wyatt and the first thought it was lupus and she said the tissues break down over time and you could see deterioration in his nose. Once things calm down a bit, I'll take him in again. It doesn't seem to bother him at all.

One thing the surgeon mentioned is if you use plastic bowls, no matter how hard and often you clean, bacteria hides out in it. I didn't think about it until then but we had a plastic water bowl. I threw that sucker out and bought stainless steal like their food bowls. Still not helping though Sad
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

PostSubject: Re: What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =(   What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =( - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 03, 2014 12:58 pm

Poor baby. Sad Hopefully someone can figure out what's going on with him.

Both his bowls are stainless and I clean them with hot water and soap every couple of days. Maybe I should clean them every day. I never really thought about that. Now I feel bad. :/

Danzig's Mommy
Senior
Senior
Danzig's Mommy

PostSubject: Re: What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =(   What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =( - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 03, 2014 1:00 pm

I don't think stainless is as bad. I only wash every couple days too so I think you're fine. It's just with plastic, it gets scratches and you can't clean in those no matter how hard you try.
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

PostSubject: Re: What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =(   What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =( - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 03, 2014 1:17 pm

I've never been a fan of plastic especially since I'm sure he'd chew it. Lol.

Have you tried giving Wyatt the niacinamide (B3) supplement for his nose? I just talked to my vet and that may help. I'm going to give it a week before I bring him in for them to do a biopsy.

Danzig's Mommy
Senior
Senior
Danzig's Mommy

PostSubject: Re: What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =(   What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =( - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 03, 2014 1:19 pm

Yes that's the second cream we got. What frustrates me is the first vet (not our normal vet) was certain it was lupus but then our normal vet said it wasn't.

That's a good idea. I may push for a biopsy next time.
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

PostSubject: Re: What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =(   What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =( - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 04, 2014 12:02 am

Now his nose looks like this today.

What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =( - Page 2 20140410

Compared to earlier this week.

What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =( - Page 2 20140316

simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

PostSubject: Re: What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =(   What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =( - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 10, 2014 1:13 pm

So Mishka's nose is looking 100% better. I'll have to get a picture of it. So hopefully it was just ringworm.

wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =(   What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =( - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 10, 2014 1:16 pm

What did you use on it?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =(   What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =( - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =(

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next