It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Which breeder? Karnovanda or Snowmist?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jasper1208
Newborn
Newborn

Which breeder? Karnovanda or Snowmist? Empty
PostSubject: Which breeder? Karnovanda or Snowmist?   Which breeder? Karnovanda or Snowmist? EmptyWed Aug 04, 2021 6:43 pm

Anybody has experience with either of them? I’ve contacted them both and they all got back to me. Can’t decide between the two. Any input would be appreciated!
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Which breeder? Karnovanda or Snowmist?   Which breeder? Karnovanda or Snowmist? EmptyWed Aug 04, 2021 7:09 pm

This is going to be a lot of "feeling" not facts.

Karnovanda comes up from time to time and there was one time where a question was raised and I hopped o the phone to get an answer (vagueness because I don't really remember the specifics of the original question.) (( This btw is a +1 for Karnovanda, their phone number is on their website, have a question, just call! )) The person who answered the phone happened to be the owner - uh, surprise!! - and we had a, I'm remembering, 30 minute chat about her, the dogs, life with Huskies in general - a very enjoyable lady to talk with.

Websites = all in all I have to rate them pretty much equal though Snowmist seems to not be updating either their website nor their Facebook page (at least not with dogs on Facebook, so they went to a chocolate factory, I'd have been impressed if they'd taken a dog with them.)
I have a good feel from Karnovanda in that there's a lot more information about Judy and the dogs than Snowmist presents.

Okay, I have to say that I, personally, like Karnovanda over Snowmist from what I can see and from what I know.

There is one other point and I can't respond appropriately on this point. Snowmist is a Canadian breeder while Karnovanda is in the US. Considering the current state of international travel one might have more of an appeal than the other if you're looking to buy in the "foreseeable" future. Who knows when the borders are going to open again and how much difficulty you'd have getting a dog across the border until they do reopen.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Jasper1208
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Which breeder? Karnovanda or Snowmist?   Which breeder? Karnovanda or Snowmist? EmptyWed Aug 04, 2021 7:51 pm

Thanks for your input! I sent an email introducing myself and my current dog and what I’m looking for in the new puppy. Judy from Karnovanda emailed me back and recommended me to get a girl based on my boy’s temperament (I wanted a boy). It makes me feel like Judy cares more about her dog. But Snowmist’s dog are all titled(Champions).
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Which breeder? Karnovanda or Snowmist?   Which breeder? Karnovanda or Snowmist? EmptyWed Aug 04, 2021 8:29 pm

You obviously said something that cued her that adding another male might not be in the best interest of her pup - and for time being it is her pup.

"It makes me feel like Judy cares more about her dog." than she does about ... ???  Making a sale, you're durned tooting she is.  Than she does about ... what would you like to fill the blank with??

I had to go back and look, sure there are dogs on Karnovanda that aren't titled, but there are some on Snowmist as well.  

This is going to come across badly, but it's the only way I can do it.  If you're looking to start your own kennel, training and going on the road showing then you have every reason to be concerned about pedigree ... but if that were the case, you wouldn't be here asking questions, you'd know which was the better kennel and why - at least as it pertains to you.

If you're looking for a house pet, then a dog from either should be good.  If you're looking for a dog with a pedigree that you can show off - 'scuse me, but do us all a favour and don't buy a dog.  Go get a Ferrari or Lamborghini - you aren't going to hurt anyone except yourself if you show off and wreck a car.  Buying a dog for the piece of paper that comes attached to it is the absolute worst reason.  Your last comment suggest to me that that's your reason and to say the least, it's unsettling.

Back to top Go down
Jasper1208
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Which breeder? Karnovanda or Snowmist?   Which breeder? Karnovanda or Snowmist? EmptyWed Aug 04, 2021 8:48 pm

First of all, I’m not looking to start my own kennel. And don’t get me wrong, I’m not looking for a dog that I can show off. I want a puppy that’s healthy and has good temperament. But I do care about the dog’s appearance. And I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that. That’s why I mentioned about the titles. Since both kennels do health testing on their dogs(I already verified that on OFA website), good appearance would be a plus(Not a must)
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Which breeder? Karnovanda or Snowmist?   Which breeder? Karnovanda or Snowmist? EmptyWed Aug 04, 2021 9:09 pm

Since you're in the US - and I'm admittedly prejudiced - I'd go with Karnovanda.

There's what appears to be an inconsistency in the muzzles of Snowmist's dogs, some of them just appear too short - even in side photos.  

Appearance is one thing and, in my mind, unrelated to titles earned.  A title is earned because of how a dog acts "in the ring." If one were to base it on color, for example, then the ugliest dog in the ring could be a champion. Looking for a dog who's healthy is always a good starting point but suggesting that being a champion equates to a healthier dog is, I think, stretching the title more than a bit.

Back to top Go down
Jasper1208
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Which breeder? Karnovanda or Snowmist?   Which breeder? Karnovanda or Snowmist? EmptyWed Aug 04, 2021 11:33 pm

I agree with you that being a champion doesn’t equates to a healthier dog. My reasoning behind the whole title thing is that the closer a dog’s appearance is to the standard, the more likely he/she is going to win. Champions =better looking dogs. I guess it also has to do with how other dogs in the ring looks. My dog is more on the dominant side, i was looking for a boy that’s more on the submissive side. I guess that’s why Judy recommends a female. Anyway, health and temperament will always be my top priority, appearance and gender come second.

Last edited by Jasper1208 on Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:17 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Which breeder? Karnovanda or Snowmist?   Which breeder? Karnovanda or Snowmist? EmptyThu Aug 05, 2021 4:47 am

In the past, we have had members with dogs from Karnovanda. They are well recommended.

https://www.itsahuskything.com/t12379-karnovanda-dogs?highlight=Karnovanda+kennels
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Which breeder? Karnovanda or Snowmist?   Which breeder? Karnovanda or Snowmist? EmptyThu Aug 05, 2021 1:55 pm

@jasper1208  I'm not always as gruff as I was with you ... just something about being an old man (I'm 74) and speaking my mind (such as it is) as I see it.  I appreciate that you didn't seem to get upset at my abruptness and I'd really like to see what you end up with.

In the meantime - if you don't take another 7 years to come back - how about some pictures of Jasper, he was cute as a pup but I bet he's grown a bit since your last pictures of him.

@Amymeme thanks for looking up the Karnovanda discussion.

Last edited by aljones on Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jasper1208
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Which breeder? Karnovanda or Snowmist?   Which breeder? Karnovanda or Snowmist? EmptyThu Aug 05, 2021 3:09 pm

@aljones I just put a deposit down for a Karnovanda puppy. They are expecting puppies this September. But there are at least 8 people on the waiting list. Chances are there won't be a puppy for me this time.

Jasper will be turning 7 this September. We are going to Banff for his birthday. He's a wonderful boy, very friendly, super smart(knows tons of tricks), extremely food-motivated, will do anything for food.

Here are some recent photos of him.
Which breeder? Karnovanda or Snowmist? Dsc02012
Which breeder? Karnovanda or Snowmist? Dsc00010
Which breeder? Karnovanda or Snowmist? Dsc00911
Which breeder? Karnovanda or Snowmist? Dsc00011
Which breeder? Karnovanda or Snowmist? Dsc02013
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Which breeder? Karnovanda or Snowmist?   Which breeder? Karnovanda or Snowmist? EmptyThu Aug 05, 2021 7:29 pm

Congratulations!!! With 8 ahead of you, you might get one from this litter. It's surprising how some people just don't want "this" puppy and will choose to wait out another litter or two. Let us know, if you please.

He actually kept the black nose (or at least the top of it) I saw on the puppy pictures.  You have yourself a beautiful dog there and while those trees look great, I'm a bit adverse to the snow (I live on the desert in Texas!)

Back to top Go down
Jasper1208
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Which breeder? Karnovanda or Snowmist?   Which breeder? Karnovanda or Snowmist? EmptyThu Aug 05, 2021 8:31 pm

Thanks! That's what I was thinking too, some people might choose to wait/they are not ready for a puppy now. So I still have a chance. Just hoping for the best now. Yeah, the top of his nose is black, but the front is pinkish. I'm not a big fan of winter, too cold for me. But he loves it! I love seeing him doing zoomies in the snow, it's a wonderful thing to see!
Back to top Go down
sibmom
Newborn
Newborn
sibmom

PostSubject: Re: Which breeder? Karnovanda or Snowmist?   Which breeder? Karnovanda or Snowmist? EmptyWed Aug 18, 2021 5:42 pm

I talked to Judy Karnovanda and she was very helpful when I was looking for a puppy years ago. One of my current dogs is from a Canadian sire whose breeder has connections with Snowmist. I feel both kennels are reputable but my recollection is Snowmist has fewer litters and therefore availability. This appealed to me but I agree with someone else’s comment that getting a puppy from Canada if you are in the US would be a headache at best.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which breeder? Karnovanda or Snowmist?   Which breeder? Karnovanda or Snowmist? Empty

Back to top Go down

Which breeder? Karnovanda or Snowmist?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1