It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Couch to 5k

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
cheywhite
Teenager
Teenager
cheywhite

Female Join date : 2019-03-20

Couch to 5k - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Couch to 5k   Couch to 5k - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 05, 2020 11:27 am

Update! So yesterday I was really sore but today wasn't that bad until I started running. I think my hip hurts because I hit harder on it when I'm running. I'm very right side dominant so any sort of uneven ground or hill I make my right side take the brunt of it. I did discover that if I shorten my stride it even out.

I almost didn't get to run this morning. When I woke up at 6 I discovered that Archer had had diarrhea in his crate so I had to clean that up. I was out the door for my run at 6:40, any later and I would have had to skip it. Hoping he just ate something but I'll keep an eye on to make sure it's not serious. Poor boy is in a cone right now so I bet he's miserable with this too.
Back to top Go down
Shepsky13
Teenager
Teenager
Shepsky13

Male Join date : 2017-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Couch to 5k   Couch to 5k - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 05, 2020 11:50 am

Poor Archer!
When Rumo has diarrhea, he gets put on the diet of plain steamed white rice with boiled plain chicken breast for a day or two, then slowly switch back to kibble.
Why is he in a Cone?

Impressed that you got out there anyway!
Yes, the "zen" of running is finding the stride/position where you feel comfortable...listen to your body...

Back to top Go down
Shepsky13
Teenager
Teenager
Shepsky13

PostSubject: Re: Couch to 5k   Couch to 5k - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 05, 2020 11:54 am

I wanted to add that for me, I sometimes felt terrible when I started out...but the second mile often felt better and went faster than the first! Once you find your "rhythm" and settle in, you feel good...like you could go forever...until your legs start burning a lot on the uphills, which is telling you that you are tired .. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
cheywhite
Teenager
Teenager
cheywhite

PostSubject: Re: Couch to 5k   Couch to 5k - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 05, 2020 12:11 pm

He got neutered last week. He probably wouldn't have needed the cone for the full 10 days but he's cryptorchid (sp?). So he has an extra incision on his abdomen where they had to go in and find his second testicle. He acts perfectly normal! I have work and school today so I'll check on him around lunch and see how he's feeling. If he still has diarrhea, I'll skip his lunch and get some rice and kibble with a little pumpkin. 

I am determined to not let anything stop me from getting out there! I at least want to finish this program. Even if there's bad weather I'll go to my school and run the track there since I have free access. I never stick with workout programs but I'm determined to stick this one through.

This run wasn't as bad as the first one. I was still sore but I didn't feel like I was gonna fall over from lack of oxygen! Im trying to pay attention to my body and learn what's comfortable and what's too much. I still don't feel like I could go forever but maybe one day!

I can't wait until the sun starts rising earlier. It was nice to go from seeing nothing but my light to everything starting to lighten up.
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Couch to 5k   Couch to 5k - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 05, 2020 12:47 pm

I remember when i used to show yearlings and 2 yr olds in hand i did alot of running. And alot of it was hills. I remember the cramps and by the fall i could probably do a marathon. I had some other motivation then just myself tho. It was my job as head trainer and the shows got me more horses, and money and a truck and several horse trailers. Nothing builds stamina and muscle like powerwalk a mile then run up the hills and walk down the hills on the 10 acre field fence line 2x times however many horses in training. The routine is almost as important as actually doing it from a mental standpoint.

Even with no horses the powerwalking is ingrained along with getting up at 4am. I do like watching the sunrise over del norte peak.

One day you will be able to go on forever.and build the dogs up also so they can go with you
Back to top Go down
Shepsky13
Teenager
Teenager
Shepsky13

PostSubject: Re: Couch to 5k   Couch to 5k - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 05, 2020 1:07 pm

You all are such early birds! affraid

Today my daughter's alarm for school went off at 7:30 and I dragged myself out of bed. I don't feel well until I've had coffee and it's past 9am, ha ha! My favorite time to run was at dusk!
Back to top Go down
cheywhite
Teenager
Teenager
cheywhite

PostSubject: Re: Couch to 5k   Couch to 5k - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 05, 2020 1:48 pm

7:30?! I left at 7:20 to get to school. I've always gotten up around 6. I never liked it but I always had to do it. 

I wish I could own horses but I know so little about them and don't have any land that it wouldn't be fair to them. I thrive off of routine. Even when I have days off I have to plan what I'm gonna get done. Sometimes I just plan to not do anything but I have to make sure I don't actually have stuff to do before I allow myself that down time.
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Couch to 5k   Couch to 5k - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 05, 2020 1:59 pm

My grandpa bred racehorses my uncle is a vet and i worked for both of them. I did all the halter training basically everything until they went to the race track. I also rented 2 fields and a small barn from the adjoining farm that i kept client horses. I had a goal to be a jockey but i got hurt showing off on a pony. And for me its been in and out of work with horses since, but i sold my mare 4 years ago and havent been on a horse since
Back to top Go down
cheywhite
Teenager
Teenager
cheywhite

PostSubject: Re: Couch to 5k   Couch to 5k - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 05, 2020 11:19 pm

I was gonna be a vet ever since I was a little kid. But senior year of high school rolled around and I decided I didn't want to that. So here I am, going to be an accountant. Big shift! I took lessons a long time ago and wanted to continue because I loved working with them but I got busy with other extracurricular stuff so I stopped. I miss it, even though it was only a short time. They had such personalities!
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Couch to 5k   Couch to 5k - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 06, 2020 2:51 am

I was a pre vet major in college up until i got hurt and a reality check. Very specifically i wanted to do thoroughbred genetics amd husbandry. My uncle is a livestock vet and it took 1 summer after surgery to realize my back couldnt handle carrying gear or picking up a 80lb goat on a regular basis. So i got a degree in homeland security and cyberwarfare. Its almost as different as an accountant.
Back to top Go down
Shepsky13
Teenager
Teenager
Shepsky13

PostSubject: Re: Couch to 5k   Couch to 5k - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 06, 2020 10:21 am

Ha ha, I also wanted to be a vet! The college I went to (University of Pennsylvania) has a famous veterinary school. But instead I became...a graphic designer. :-)

A friend is a vet, she got a bad bite on her thumb and nearly lost the use of her thumb. I was thinking, it's tough to be in a field where your patients are so ungrateful!!
Back to top Go down
cheywhite
Teenager
Teenager
cheywhite

PostSubject: Re: Couch to 5k   Couch to 5k - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 02, 2020 5:01 pm

So far so good! But I think I'm going to take a break until I move out! I've discovered I'd rather run in the afternoon when I can see and I can only do that one day a week. The house is supposed to be done by the end of this month so yay!! I just don't feel safe running in the dark all the way down my road and I'm covering a lot more distance than I thought I would be so I would rather be safe than sorry.
Back to top Go down
Shepsky13
Teenager
Teenager
Shepsky13

PostSubject: Re: Couch to 5k   Couch to 5k - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 04, 2020 5:44 pm

Wow, what part of the Plan are you in now?

Yea, I agree, it's much more pleasant to run in the daylight!
Safer, too...

Congrats on a new house for you and the Pups!
Back to top Go down
cheywhite
Teenager
Teenager
cheywhite

PostSubject: Re: Couch to 5k   Couch to 5k - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 04, 2020 8:06 pm

I started week 4 last week but didn't get to do the last day because I was in New Orleans and definitely did not feel safe running there in the dark. 

I plan to keep running once a week on the one day I can run in the light. That way I won't have to fully start over. So far I love it and I don't want to quit completely. 

We just got the cabinets installed. All that's left is painting those, installing the countertops, buying the kitchen and washroom stuff, and having the furniture delivered! I'm so excited!! With all the crap I've been through the last year, each day closer makes it all seem worth it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Couch to 5k   Couch to 5k - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Couch to 5k

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2