It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Tips on adding a new member to our family!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
meg1995
Puppy
Puppy
meg1995

Female Join date : 2016-09-29

Tips on adding a new member to our family! Empty
PostSubject: Tips on adding a new member to our family!   Tips on adding a new member to our family! EmptyMon Jan 13, 2020 11:18 pm

Hello all, I haven’t been on here in a long time but need some advice and figured what better place to ask! We are adding another husky to our family shortly (1.5 y/o female) and I’m looking for tips on ensuring the best possible introduction and adaptation to bringing in a new dog. I took my 2.5 year old girl to meet her a week ago and we walked them to a park and let them run off leash together. They had a few small snarls but would go back to running and sniffing each other after. I plan on the day we bring her home to have the girls walk together and then play before bringing her inside our home. I’m mostly worried about toys/food/anything that could be resource guarded by my dog. She’s never done it with dogs she’s familiar with so I’m not sure how it’ll go! Any tips on this stuff would be SO welcome! We are so excited and happy to be giving this dog a happy home
My current girl is the black one, copper is the girl we are bringing home soon!Tips on adding a new member to our family! 3f56a710
Back to top Go down
RAHUSKY
Puppy
Puppy
RAHUSKY

PostSubject: Re: Tips on adding a new member to our family!   Tips on adding a new member to our family! EmptyTue Jan 14, 2020 2:53 pm

I think meeting on neutral territory like you have and then walking home together is a great idea. Make sure all toys, bones, bowls etc are picked up so when you get home there will be no surprises. Feed in separate rooms to begin with and closely supervise all toy play at first. Good luck!!!
Back to top Go down
http://rahusky.blogspot.com/
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Tips on adding a new member to our family!   Tips on adding a new member to our family! EmptyTue Jan 14, 2020 2:59 pm

I can only ditto @RAHUSKY s comment - you don't want to have anything that they might contest out of sight (out of mind)
I have three Huskies, two are fed on the front porch since the don't squabble (much) over their food.  The third gets fed in the back room so she has her privacy - we've had a couple of 'discussions' so in the long run it's safer to just keep mine separate ... you'll have to determine, over, time how they act around each others food and toys.

You'll have a pretty pair to start your sled dog team with!

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Tips on adding a new member to our family!   Tips on adding a new member to our family! EmptyTue Jan 14, 2020 3:29 pm

Ditto the above.  Also, I do recommend keeping a leash on both dogs inside and out for a few days in case of a tangle, safer to untangle pulling on a leash than jumping into the fray.
Back to top Go down
meg1995
Puppy
Puppy
meg1995

PostSubject: Re: Tips on adding a new member to our family!   Tips on adding a new member to our family! EmptyTue Jan 14, 2020 11:47 pm

Hey everyone! Thanks for the responses. So the family rehoming her (military family) asked if we could take her today so..we did! And i did everything suggested and they’re doing AMAZING together. A few tiny squabbles on the leash at first but after a good walk and some off leash play time, they came into the house and we haven’t had any issues. I’m so excited! Here’s some pics of them from this evening Tips on adding a new member to our family! 5101df10
Tips on adding a new member to our family! A10c5310
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Tips on adding a new member to our family!   Tips on adding a new member to our family! EmptyWed Jan 15, 2020 12:41 am

As they become more "friendly" expect a squabble or two ... there'll be a few "I'm the boss" and "I was here first" discussions but as comfortable as they look there, they'll probably be snaps and growls ... with mine a well voiced "Girls, behave!" normally works though I have been ignored a time or two and just let them settle it themselves - again, with mine there's never been any major blood - a scrape or two when they got too close.

Noticed that the new dog has the higher position ... interesting.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
RAHUSKY
Puppy
Puppy
RAHUSKY

PostSubject: Re: Tips on adding a new member to our family!   Tips on adding a new member to our family! EmptyWed Jan 15, 2020 12:38 pm

Great pictures. Exercise the heck out of them ,a tired husky is a good husky lol. Have fun!
Back to top Go down
http://rahusky.blogspot.com/
meg1995
Puppy
Puppy
meg1995

PostSubject: Re: Tips on adding a new member to our family!   Tips on adding a new member to our family! EmptyThu Jan 16, 2020 5:01 pm

I have noticed sometimes their play fights get extra noisy but so far me yelling hey! Gets them to calm down. New girl is on higher ground in that pic but seems pretty submissive in general, funny though!
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Tips on adding a new member to our family!   Tips on adding a new member to our family! EmptyThu Jan 16, 2020 7:13 pm

Sometimes i would swear mine are fighting with snarls and growls and teeth. I let it play out because when my dogs do fight its very silent and more calculated not loud and visibly apparent. At the end they start barking and howling together amd its over. I do have to referee because shadow cant see and splinter could get tripped over. Nothing is funnier then watching splinter knock over spider and then not let her up.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Tips on adding a new member to our family!   Tips on adding a new member to our family! EmptyFri Jan 17, 2020 3:51 am

Z'ev makes some ungodly noises. It is not rare for hubby and I to ask each other if Z'ev is playing or fighting with Ami. I've finally decided to watch Ami, if Ami reacts playfully, then Z'ev is playing. If   Ami flinches or backs off then Z'ev gets corrected by us. An entitled brat that one is.

Weirdly, one of the things that gets guarded in this house is doorways. Interior AND exterior. Inside, it's kind of funny. One will lay on the floor blocking a doorway, seemingly totally oblivious while the other one stands there yelping/whining/outright bark. Or pacing and "channeling" me too intervene. They wait for me to come stand beside the offending dog and then blithely walk through the door Rolling Eyes

Ami has his moments too. He'll go after something Z'ev "owns" just to get Z'ev to chase him. Then morphs into zoomies until I holler "OUT' and open the back door.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tips on adding a new member to our family!   Tips on adding a new member to our family! Empty

Back to top Go down

Tips on adding a new member to our family!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1