It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Crate Training Help

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CloverField
Puppy
Puppy
CloverField

Female Join date : 2017-11-15

crate - Crate Training Help Empty
PostSubject: Crate Training Help   crate - Crate Training Help EmptyMon Jan 22, 2018 2:53 pm

Hello, so Tetra is not good in her crate whatsoever. I understand she's still a puppy and needs more time to adjust and learn, but we've had her for almost 2 months now and there's been absolutely no change. Honestly I think it's gotten worse. She isn't crated overnight and sleeps on the bed with us, but whenever we leave, we crate her. She's usually in her crate about 4-5 times a week for about 3-5 hours at a time and she still isn't getting any better. I've tried the crating while home and doing things in the room with her, and she seem's perfectly fine being in the crate as long as I'm in the room, but as soon as I leave she cries and doesn't stop for the whole time she's in there. She doesn't always poop in the crate but she always pees and when she does poop, it gets all over and I end up having to bathe her because it's so bad. She's about to turn 4 months old and also seems to have extreme separation anxiety from me even though I leave pretty much every day for school and work while she stays home with my boyfriend. Every time I leave the house she flips out and cries for half an hour and rams herself against doors to try to get to me. I was hoping it was just going to be a phase, but I'm not so sure anymore. He works from home so she always has him around but she could care less about him most the time. I just need some advice on how to help her tolerate the crate more and not have as much separation anxiety from me.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Crate Training Help   crate - Crate Training Help EmptyMon Jan 22, 2018 3:19 pm

OKay, you said it in your last sentence. To me it doesn't sound so much like anxiety over the crate as separation anxiety and that's a whole other ball of wax.

Can you leave her in the house for a few minutes while you, for example, run out to the car and back?? Not suggesting, just asking to see how severe her anxiety is.

Like crate training which needs a gentle introduction for most pups, separation is a project without an immediate reward. You have to be able to leave for short times and then build her up to longer stretches ... as I said, this is not a "easy cure" it's more of a long term project.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
CloverField
Puppy
Puppy
CloverField

PostSubject: Re: Crate Training Help   crate - Crate Training Help EmptyMon Jan 22, 2018 4:14 pm

aljones wrote:
Can you leave her in the house for a few minutes while you, for example, run out to the car and back?? Not suggesting, just asking to see how severe her anxiety is.

If I walk out of the house even for a minute or two to do something she still freaks out. As soon as I shut a door between us, she has a fit because she can't get to me. When she's sleeping and the boyfriend and I are doing stuff and we're all in the same room, if he gets up to leave the room, she lifts her head to see, and goes back to sleep and doesn't care, but if I go to leave the room, she gets up and follows me. If I'm showering, I have to keep the shower door open or she freaks out because she can't get to me. The only time she's okay being out of the same room as me is when I'm doing school work and not paying attention to her so she goes and plays with her toys.
Back to top Go down
Mersea Lopez
Teenager
Teenager
Mersea Lopez

Female Join date : 2017-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Crate Training Help   crate - Crate Training Help EmptyMon Jan 22, 2018 6:45 pm

I think it's normal for Husky puppies to bond to the main parent (me, the mom, in my case), and Sophia is a crier, too. I leave a potty pad in her crate when I go running with Grant because if she is stressed, she poops. Washing a poopy puppy is not fun. And Sophia is meticulous, so it freaks her out.

I'm learning she needs to go out at 5am, but she's sleeping through the night in her crate. Have you thought of crating her at night? I have Sophia right by my bed and keep a flashlight under my pillow to check on her if she stirs. I put my hand on the bars beside her to settle her and keep my energy calm and sleepy. The first couple of nights, she woke up a lot, but she goes 7 hours now.

I say this because crating at night establishes an expectation of settling down to sleep in her crate. Sometimes when I come back from our run, Sophia stays asleep until I wake her up, even if she was crying when I left. I leave classical music on the echo dot and tell her I'll be right back. It's becoming a routine, which puppies seem to thrive on.

All puppies are different, but I think crating at night improves the Husky's crating experience during the day.

Oh, and for now, Sophia goes in the bathroom with me when I shower, too. Haha It fascinates her. She's my shadow just like Grant was, but he outgrew it.
Back to top Go down
CloverField
Puppy
Puppy
CloverField

PostSubject: Re: Crate Training Help   crate - Crate Training Help EmptyMon Jan 22, 2018 7:26 pm

Mersea Lopez wrote:
I think it's normal for Husky puppies to bond to the main parent (me, the mom, in my case).
Have you thought of crating her at night?
The worst part is, Tetra is with my boyfriend pretty much twice a much as she's with me because he's always home and I have work and school 6/7 days of the week for about 5-11 hours at a time. She just seems to prefer women more, but you'd think she'd attach to him in some way with the amount of time they spend together, but she could honestly care less about him. She doesn't listen to him as much as she listens to me, and I'm pretty sure she thinks she's alpha to him. I've tried overnight crating and she does fine as long as she can see me, if not she'll cry all night long. When she sees me she still cries a bit when she wakes up in the missile of the night a little, otherwise she's fine when I'm there. It just seems to be as soon as we leave and she's alone she freaks out.
Back to top Go down
Kon
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Crate Training Help   crate - Crate Training Help EmptyMon Jan 22, 2018 9:06 pm

I have 4 huskies and never have i had this kind of behavior.. Its possible that husky give each other company where they don't show or experience anxiety when i leave or not home... hope its only a baby stage..

sorry i was not much help...
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Crate Training Help   crate - Crate Training Help EmptyTue Jan 23, 2018 11:40 am

Huskies tend to really bond with who does the most for them. Like who walks them, feeds them, teaches them stuff. They see them as the caregiver, as the one they need. Mama. Separation anxiety takes time to work over and a lot of wandering in and out of the house at varying intervals until you basically desensitize them to you leaving and they become used to the fact that you will be coming back and that by disappearing you haven't just died. Even dogs who have other dogs to keep them company can have separation anxiety from their owner and having multiple dogs won't necessarily fix or prevent it from happening. It's largely based on the individual dog and the level of bond or obsession the dog has.

Teenager
Teenager
Mersea Lopez

Female Join date : 2017-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Crate Training Help   crate - Crate Training Help EmptyTue Jan 23, 2018 12:02 pm

I agree with Jenn. Eventually, they relax.

Both Grant and Sophia behaved exactly the same: I picked each one up from the breeder and I timed it in the middle of the 8th week, so some sibs were gone already, but not all. Both were quiet for the entire ride home (two flights and a several-hour layover), so by the time they were in their new home, each was well-bonded to me.

Sophia cries more when I leave, but it's already getting better, and her brother's presence does help when I'm just stepping into the next room (while she's safely in her x-pen).

You can use this bond for training: breaking fellowship for biting, asking for a "sit" before releasing from the pen, reinforcing good leash behavior by rewarding with trips and one-on-one attention--"I get to go with Mom!"

This too shall pass (anxiety), but the bond is a positive part of making a good dog. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Crate Training Help   crate - Crate Training Help Empty

Back to top Go down

Crate Training Help

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1