It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
snrose
Adult
Adult
snrose

Female Join date : 2010-10-05

Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011   Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011 - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 2:57 pm

my tulips are showing their flowers now but haven't quite opened up yet
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011   Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011 - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 3:27 pm

I'm jealous you have daffodils!

Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011   Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011 - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 4:01 pm

Looking good, Jenn! I'm jealous of your tulips. I've wanted tulips for years but they just don't grow well down south. Sad Can't wait to see them when they open up!

Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011   Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011 - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 1:26 am

Went to home depot tonight, they are having a sweet 4 day sale!... pics tomorrow

its tomorrow! this is what i got for $20 last night

Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011 - Page 2 IMG_20110407_170952

and this is what i did with the flowers.
Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011 - Page 2 IMG_20110407_185925
hanging baskets in the back yard, i did 3 of them

and a pic of my one corner garden Smile its getting greener.
Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011 - Page 2 IMG_20110407_185939

as you can tell we dont have pee spots in the back yard Smile
you need to have grass first affraid

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011   Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011 - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 1:03 pm

Smart move putting the plants up off the ground...notice I made sure I didn't say "out of reach" of the huskies! Laughing Hoping the dogs don't see them as toys. They look really nice though!

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011   Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011 - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 1:06 pm

Very nice Jenn!

Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011   Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011 - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 1:16 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
Smart move putting the plants up off the ground...notice I made sure I didn't say "out of reach" of the huskies! Laughing Hoping the dogs don't see them as toys. They look really nice though!

Val, i tried the first summer doing nice containers on the deck till one morning i came downstairs and all the flowers were all over the yard!!! after that i did the baskets and they are left untouched Smile

i picked up 12 pansies and did one container in the front yard as well as the 3 baskets. also since they are in in baskets i can take them down to safety if the weather turns on us!

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011   Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011 - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 1:28 pm

jbealer wrote:
also since they are in in baskets i can take them down to safety if the weather turns on us!

Smart move!

Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011   Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011 - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 11, 2011 12:53 pm

i need some updates on my plants but they are getting greener, my tulips have yet to bloom Sad and my dang butterfly bushes don't seem like they are gonna come back again this year Sad i have tried the last two years and they do great during the season but come winter they have not come back the following spring and this year i even watered them during our dry winter. my lilac bush is starting to get its buds and the larger lilac bush is green leafed and i think it might bloom in the next 2 weeks i hope!!!

We did go to costco and picked up a shed on sat Smile
Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011 - Page 2 IMG_20110318_185327

then ken left for work and i went to Lowes and loaded 80 pavers on to a cart and then need help pulling it. i did get help loading them into the car Smile i needed them so i could build a platform for the shed to sit on
Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011 - Page 2 IMG_20110409_153749
i think i found the weight limit on the E as my back end SUNK when they were all loaded!!!

Danielle came over and helped me unload them and at carrying 4 at a time it did not take many trips to the back yard.
she left and i went to work digging out the rototiller from the garage. i got it to the back loaded gas in it checked the oil and moved all the levers to the start position and pulled the dang start cord about 15 times before the cord ended up in my hand not attached to the machine anymore affraid this is my aunts tiller Sad she did not seem to mad about it but now im left stuck for a tiller so i can prep the ground to make it level to build my platform... i have a week to figure it out, im on a Cragis list hunt now for my own.

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011   Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011 - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 11, 2011 1:14 pm

Nice shed Jenn, they have one similar and slightly smaller I think at Sam's Club too (same color and all). We need to storage shed or something for our backyard but for the size shed that Costco and Sam's Club sell we'd have to get approval from our HOA. That is a major drawback plus I'd rather have something smaller that is not going to take up so much of my yard. We're looking at the shorter deck style storage boxes that can fit lawn mowers, trash cans, etc. I think Costco and Sam's have something like that too. I need to go to Costco this week.

Hope that load of pavers doesn't do your Element in. I know my last car before I got my CR-V was a Camry that we overloaded with mulch. It sank so far down and made the trip home but for the rest of the life of the care the struts and suspension on it were completely shot. It was awful and if I didn't literally crawl over speed bumps the back end of my car would bottom out. No I learned my lesson from that car, I will NEVER overload another vehicle again. That one overloaded mulch trip ruined my last car for life (and back then I was in college so I couldn't afford to replace the struts, shocks, and suspension).

Sorry to hear about the tiller, hope you get things back on track soon! Pics please when you've got things back on track! Smile

Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011   Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011 - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 11, 2011 1:20 pm

Val,
we need HOA approval as well and i did fax them on it and have yet to hear back. if they fight me on this i will fight back, there are ALOT worse looking things going on in the neighborhood then a good new shed made of plastic. i don't want to brag but i feel we have one of the top 20 homes for landscaping out of over 100 homes so they have no right to bitch about this! i hope i did not mess my E up either with this haul...

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011   Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011 - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 11, 2011 1:35 pm

I hope they approve it. Does your HOA charge? Ours charges $25 just to look at our application! And our storage shed would have to match our house in material AND color to be approved. *sigh*

Did the boxed shed fit in your Element? Wonder if it would even fit in my V if I wanted it.

Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011   Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011 - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 11, 2011 2:23 pm

Val,
on my daily walks i have seen a TON of sheds that do not really match the HOA of shingled roof matching house color, and in this day and age and the price of things there is no reason i can't have this nice looking plastic shed that will last 10+yrs with our rusting or pealing paint, i think i have a good case if they bitch. we do not have to pay to have our application looked at but they have a month to get back to us, i don't have that kind of time to wait.... we picked up the shed in Ken's truck Smile it was in 2 boxes that were 270lbs total, in hind sight i think that was less then all the pavers i picked up Rolling Eyes but ken had to go to work and i had no other option to get them.

Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011   Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011 - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 11, 2011 2:32 pm

so i looked on line and it says that each 12x12 paver weighs 24lbs each so that means i put 1,920lbs in the back of my car!!!!! and that i carried 96lbs 20 times to the back yard, and my arms don't hurt, my wrist does though...
i think i should have the E looked at Sad oops

The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011   Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011 - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 11, 2011 2:48 pm

Another win for the van!! It's rated at 1852 lbs without seats. Maximum on your Element is 750-ish if your gas tank is mostly empty. Heh.

I'm not looking forward to yard work.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011   Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011 - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 11, 2011 3:13 pm

Well, if the back of your E bounces after bumps and holes in the road I'd definitely have it looked at. That's what I had to live with on my Camry after loading it down with 800 lbs of mulch (twenty 40 lb bags). I have no idea what the '96 Camry capacity was but it certainly wasn't 800 lbs. lol

Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011   Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011 - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 11, 2011 9:08 pm

I bought the same 12X12 pavers geez didn't know they would weigh 24lbs each I figured they would be about 10 lbs each. and I loaded 60 of them on the first trip. So far have bought about 200 of them as I want to pave the kennel cuz it really looks like hell. Between urine burns, shit rotting out the grass and the hole digging I decided to try and pretty it up once decent weather gets here. Still need almost another 100 pcs. in order to do the kennel complete.

Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011 - Page 2 Marchapril2011021

Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011 - Page 2 Marchapril2011022

If I'm not to much of a slacker this summer I'll get photos in once it done.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011   Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011 - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 1:35 am

Len, I have not weighed them myself but the google search I have done says they weigh that much...

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011   Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011 - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 1:08 pm

jbealer wrote:
Len, I have not weighed them myself but the google search I have done says they weigh that much...

That weight does sound about right judging from the ones I've picked up (but not bought) at Lowes. They ARE heavy.

Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011   Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011 - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 5:06 pm

Well since i only come off as being a hardass and inside i really am a law abiding citizen i went ahead and filled out new paper work for approval on the shed and faxed it in... i talked to the lady and she said they should look at it in the next few days and she will call me with the yes or no so i don't have to wait for the letter to come in the mail. she does not think it will be an issue that it is plastic and not wood or metal. hears hoping for good news!

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011   Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011 - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 7:58 pm

Hope they give you an approval! Our HOA was also kind enough to give us a verbal approval before they sent out the official approval letter when we requested permission to put up our fence. Yay for that nice gesture!

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011   Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011 - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 11:16 pm

i hope you get the verbal approval soon too!
I don't see why they would turn your request down.
It's a nice shed!

Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011   Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011 - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 2:02 pm

Well what better day to share some pics then on a Fri! we got some good rain the other day and once it warms up i have a feeling things will take off. Since im in CO not much planting yet but i have done that the last 2yrs and now its more of a wait and see what comes back every spring to see where i need to plant again!
ok here is our front yard and what has come up.
Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011 - Page 2 Garden_bed_front
Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011 - Page 2 1_garden_bed_front
Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011 - Page 2 Dafflidos
Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011 - Page 2 Tulips
i could not even tell you everything in there till it starts to bloom! we have some irises, tulips, daffodils, daisies, columbine, sage, lilies, lambs ear, and other stuff, center weeping mulberry tree with little tiny buds Smile
Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011 - Page 2 Corner_bush
nameless bush in the back corner of the front, is should get white flowers but it did not last year. i think its some kind of elder bush....
Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011 - Page 2 Grasses
Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011 - Page 2 Irises
property line, my carl forster grasses to create a living fence and in the front are small irises
and behind that larger irises,my making woopie day lilies and behind that lilies.

Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011 - Page 2 Back_cornor_bed
im putting in a soaker hose, and this is my lilac bush, irises and sage

my sad shade corner
Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011 - Page 2 Miss_may_lalic
miss may lilac, behind that is the bare area that had a butterfly bush and this is where i have planted my hostas and fern bulbs. not sure what the small green thing is growing but who cares its growing!!!
Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011 - Page 2 Weeping_bulberry
this is my weeping birch tree i planted last fall and its getting green Smile the bricks were to keep jack from digging it up!!! in that garden are mums and i put some bulbs in the fall so see if any comes up...

Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011 - Page 2 Shed_location
shed location in the back corner, still no word....

Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011 - Page 2 Starting_seeds
Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011 - Page 2 Seads
started seeds on wed!
well that is all for now, might be hiking on sat and i will see if i start on the base for the shed or not this weekend....

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011   Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011 - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 2:50 pm

I have tomato, basil and spring onions and chives if you want to start those from seed...?

Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011   Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011 - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 21, 2011 3:18 pm

Still waiting on HOA to let me know if its a go or not on the shed.... ugh this sucks, F' them im starting this weekend on it.
oh and we came home from snowbarding on monday and these were there waiting for us Smile
Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011 - Page 2 IMG_20110421_102842
tulips are blooming finally, but just as my daffodils are dying.
and i have some seedlings poking up in my "green" house container Smile

PostSubject: Re: Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011   Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011 - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Jenn's Gardening Thread---what will this summer bring-2011

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next