It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Lack of Energy

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
EliTheHusky
Newborn
Newborn
EliTheHusky

Lack of Energy Empty
PostSubject: Lack of Energy   Lack of Energy EmptyMon Sep 19, 2016 5:40 pm

Hello all! I have not posted much since I got Eli as a baby, but he's just over 11 months now. This past weekend he seemed a little bit slower, but still ran around, hiked, and had plenty attentiveness to everything going on in the woods. Last night and now mostly all of today he has been sleeping or lying down. Most days he comes to construction sites with me, but today was a rainy day and along side with the behavior from last night, I did not want to bring him out. My mom said he's been laying down (coldest title floor in the house) all day and she had to work to get him to go out. Normally if I am even gone for 30 minutes he runs up to me doing his happy cry all excited. Now he will rolls over to let me rub his belly, but apathic after. I'm sure many husky owners would agree that this is anything but usual.

He tends to get a little constipated here and there, but still goes regularly. He has always been a light eater and self regulates, but he is still currently able to eat when he does get up. One thing that makes me worried is the amount of panting he does. I feel as though he is always panting like he's hot, but today seems quite more aggressive, almost like he is trying to pant out the pain.

Anyone have any recommendations on what it could be? He's poops seem pretty normal and nothing in it, but a test could be needed. If no one has any recommendations I'm going to head to the vet in the morning
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

Lack of Energy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lack of Energy   Lack of Energy EmptyMon Sep 19, 2016 9:33 pm

Slowing down when hot is normal. We are currently in a heat wave here and mine barely get off the floor. Is it maybe warmer where you are lately? Rainy days can do the same. A vet visit is never a bad idea though. Getting to the bottom of the constipation would be good. If he's currently in the middle of a potential bout of constipation that could stress him and make him pant more.

Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

Lack of Energy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lack of Energy   Lack of Energy EmptyTue Sep 20, 2016 12:54 am

Temps have been more moderate this weekend, no? Possibly he's pooped from the hike? Hills involved? As for the panting, Ami has been doing the same and I have to admit I'm a bit concerned... back burner sort of thing. Husband says he hears a wheeze now and then so I'm wondering allergies. However, in the evening, when the temps go into the 50's he comes alive with archer.

Short answer... if he doesn't perk up in a day or so, a call to the vet wouldn't hurt... it is tick season...
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

Lack of Energy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lack of Energy   Lack of Energy EmptyTue Sep 20, 2016 2:11 am

Mishka has always been the same way. I've brought it up here and at the vet and been told it's probably heat related, which it could be because it tends to be better when it's cooler. With Mishka, I was concerned she might have gotten heart worm, but that's not the case.

@Amy...you described Mishka to a T ...the wheeze every once in awhile really concerned me. I brought it up to the vet multiple times now and she's not concerned about it, at all. Last appt her lungs and heart sounded strong she said and since the wheezing is periodic and not all the time, she is not concerned. Havnt heard her wheeze in awhile now, but panting, her and Kohdi both do more when it's warm, both are full of energy once it hits about 4pm or so though!
Back to top Go down
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

Lack of Energy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lack of Energy   Lack of Energy EmptySat Sep 24, 2016 3:45 pm

i agree too, it heat related and tired from the hike. lol! Leo turns into a sack of potatoes in the summer and all he wants to do is short walks and sleep. then when we do go out hiking he usually needs a day or so to recover.
Back to top Go down
AnyaLuv
Teenager
Teenager
AnyaLuv

Lack of Energy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lack of Energy   Lack of Energy EmptySun Sep 25, 2016 5:23 pm

I agree that it's likely due to heat and exercise and he should be back to his crazy self in a few days.

However, if he is still lethargic in a couple days, I would take him to the vet just to be on the safe side. I'm always paranoid about Lyme disease, as that can cause intense fatigue.
Back to top Go down
http://www.siberiansamoyed.com
Rooen
Newborn
Newborn
Rooen

Female Join date : 2016-03-18

Lack of Energy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lack of Energy   Lack of Energy EmptyTue Sep 27, 2016 8:51 am

During the heat this summer my Miss was panting all the time, every second she was awake it would be a slow but still persistent pant. My 1 year old was doing the same thing if not more aggressively since he's a spaz. They both have the double coat and and Miss loved to lay on the beds upstairs where it is the warmest. There were even days were she would like directly in the sun on the deck and I had to push her back inside before she got sick but they are smart and if she was in real trouble I figured she would seek out a cool place if she was over heating to an extreme (which she will, the shower is a nice cool nap spot).

Panting can also mean they are excited or even happy. Farlow my 1 year old will pant while laying in the snow he's just so excited, and he's excited about someone saying his name...

On that note we did see a chance in Miss this last season and it turned out to be Lyme, a basic blood test will at least rule out anything and is always good to do once a year anyway. If he's moving around in the places he likes to lay (not just curled up in the same spot for days) it's most likely just the heat.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Lack of Energy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lack of Energy   Lack of Energy Empty

Back to top Go down

Lack of Energy

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1