It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Poor Hailey- UPDATE 12/17/13

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

Poor Hailey- UPDATE 12/17/13 Empty
PostSubject: Poor Hailey- UPDATE 12/17/13   Poor Hailey- UPDATE 12/17/13 EmptyThu Mar 03, 2011 3:22 pm

So... I feel like a horrible momma, but there were signs that I just missed in the last week or so.  I took Hailey to the vet today and got meds for a bladder infection Sad Poor little thing.

We didn't realize it until she peed in OUR bed twice and didn't seem to notice!  First time was on Saturday night.  I went to bed early and left the bedroom door open.  John was still at his computer, so Hailey could have easily gotten up and let him know.  Instead, he climbed into bed a few hours later and the bed was soaked where she was laying (not on me, but next to me).  It seemed weird, but I thought maybe I was too dead asleep to notice she had gotten up?  Well- she did it again two nights ago.  John woke up in the morning, I stretched out and my feet hit where she was laying and the bed was soaked through again.  It wasn't warm, so it was clear that it had been a while and she was just laying in it Sad

Then the signs started to come together.  She had been asking to go outside more often (every 2 hours instead of every 4).  I thought it was just all the snow she'd been eating (which the vet said it might have been.  Dogs do it naturally when they have an infection because they somehow know that it will flush it out).  She was getting into more fights with Koda (ie- she didn't feel well and didn't want to be bothered).  Then I realized that she'd stopped sleeping in her bed.  I thought that hers was just old and finally got too uncomfortable (Koda's is nicer so she was stealing his).  I picked up her bed and smelled and sure enough, she had wet her bed at some point and we didn't notice Sad 

The poor little thing Sad I feel HORRIBLE.  She's on meds now and the vet said it should clear up in a couple of days.  He said she could be showing early signs of incontinence too, so to keep a watch out for her.  I guess mild bladder infections can be a symptom.

I feel like such a bad mommy Sad

Poor Hailey- UPDATE 12/17/13 Hailey10

Last edited by Koda on Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:23 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Poor Hailey- UPDATE 12/17/13   Poor Hailey- UPDATE 12/17/13 EmptyThu Mar 03, 2011 3:27 pm

Awww poor Hailey Sad But you are NOT a bad mommy! I wouldn't have noticed that either. You don't think that your doggie has a bladder infection because she peeded in your bed...even if she never does that. I'm glad that she's on meds and will be ok in a few days. Poor thing...those things hurt
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Poor Hailey- UPDATE 12/17/13   Poor Hailey- UPDATE 12/17/13 EmptyThu Mar 03, 2011 3:31 pm

Sweetie, you're definitely not a bad momma! Hindsight is 20/20 so don't beat yourself up for not putting all the pieces together as things were happening.

Bladder infections happen often enough that it's not something you should ever feel bad about happening either. Maybe it could be an early incontinence sign but maybe not. Did your vet say if there was a percentage of dogs with histories of bladder infections that later become incontinent? I wouldn't think the worst right now. Her infection is easily treatable and she is LUCKY to have such a good momma that took her to the vet as soon as you did. Believe me, this pales in comparison with the pet drama my sister is going through right now, you look like a savior compared to my sister.

Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Poor Hailey- UPDATE 12/17/13   Poor Hailey- UPDATE 12/17/13 EmptyThu Mar 03, 2011 3:36 pm

He definitely didn't say that it was common, just that it was more common in females. He said that bladder infections can BE caused by incontinence because of the excess build-up of moisture from the leaking. He did make it pretty clear that it was likely just the bladder infection, but that the not recognizing that she was "leaking" made him concerned enough to mention that if signs persisted that she should come back in.

Don't quote me on this, but I got the impression that dogs normally show more signs of pain. Hailey shows NO signs of pain at all, just a slight increased urgency and leaking. He said most likely it's just the infection and no big deal, but he made sure I was keeping a good watch on her to make sure the symptoms go away because if they don't, he wants to see her again soon. That's all Smile I didn't mean to be misleading there Smile

And thanks for the support Sad I'm just home all day with them, I feel like I should have realized that there was a problem sooner Sad

Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Poor Hailey- UPDATE 12/17/13   Poor Hailey- UPDATE 12/17/13 EmptyThu Mar 03, 2011 3:47 pm

Tori (and Val): If I could be half the 'husky-mom' you are, I'd be so happy!

Tori - you're are FAR from being a bad momma....

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Poor Hailey- UPDATE 12/17/13   Poor Hailey- UPDATE 12/17/13 EmptyThu Mar 03, 2011 3:50 pm

The important thing is that you took her in fairly quickly especially if it's been less than a week since you started noticing things. Don't forget what happened to our departed guinea pig, Minnie. She showed signs of something being wrong for 2 weeks and I didn't put two and two together. Only after her death did I finally connect the dots and realize that I should have noticed something was seriously off and that she needed help.

Hailey is lucky to have such a caring mom!

Keep us updated on how she progresses! Hopefully that is the case that she is not in pain, and not that she's just hiding her discomfort. Get better soon Hailey!

Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Poor Hailey- UPDATE 12/17/13   Poor Hailey- UPDATE 12/17/13 EmptyThu Mar 03, 2011 3:52 pm

I hope Hailey gets better soon! at least you caught it when you did it could have gone on longer. your a fantastic momma!

Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Poor Hailey- UPDATE 12/17/13   Poor Hailey- UPDATE 12/17/13 EmptyThu Mar 03, 2011 3:58 pm

Aww. Thanks everyone (especially Claudia! So sweet! Smile ).

He poked an prodded a lot around her bladder and bowels, etc. She's just a little trooper. She also got three shots today (she was due on some vaccines) and didn't even flinch. The vet was actually in love with her. He couldn't say enough nice things at how well-behaved and beautiful she was. Smile

I will definitely keep you all posted. Thanks again for the encouragement and support! Smile

Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Poor Hailey- UPDATE 12/17/13   Poor Hailey- UPDATE 12/17/13 EmptyThu Mar 03, 2011 4:15 pm

Poor thing! It took me a week or so to figure out Cheyenne had a UTI when we got her... I just thought she was being a bratty husky pup and didn't want to be housebroken!

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Poor Hailey- UPDATE 12/17/13   Poor Hailey- UPDATE 12/17/13 EmptyThu Mar 03, 2011 4:24 pm

aww Sad i hope hailey gets better soon!
Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Poor Hailey- UPDATE 12/17/13   Poor Hailey- UPDATE 12/17/13 EmptyThu Mar 03, 2011 6:32 pm

I'm hoping Hailey recovers quickly.

You aren't a bad mom.

I am constantly amazed at how stoic huskies are.
Back to top Go down
CoffeeK8
Adult
Adult
CoffeeK8

Female Join date : 2010-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Poor Hailey- UPDATE 12/17/13   Poor Hailey- UPDATE 12/17/13 EmptyThu Mar 03, 2011 6:39 pm

Oh Tori! I'm so sorry! YOU ARE NOT A BAD DOG MOM! You're fantastic!! I really hope this is a one time deal for Hailey and that she recovers quickly. Lots of healthy, healing juju being sent her way.
Back to top Go down
friesianet
Puppy
Puppy
friesianet

Female Join date : 2011-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Poor Hailey- UPDATE 12/17/13   Poor Hailey- UPDATE 12/17/13 EmptyThu Mar 03, 2011 7:07 pm

Sorry about Hailey, but glad you caught it!!!! Hope she feels better soon.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Poor Hailey- UPDATE 12/17/13   Poor Hailey- UPDATE 12/17/13 EmptyThu Mar 03, 2011 10:04 pm

Thanks, everyone! Hailey seems to be in good spirits, but she appreciates everyone's well-wishes I'm sure Smile

Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Poor Hailey- UPDATE 12/17/13   Poor Hailey- UPDATE 12/17/13 EmptyMon Mar 07, 2011 12:09 pm

Just an update: Hailey hasn't had an accident since we took her to the vet and got meds. She's in much better spirits and has been able to hold it for 4 hours now during the day and all night. So it sounds like the meds are doing their job!

Thanks again for the support all.

Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Poor Hailey- UPDATE 12/17/13   Poor Hailey- UPDATE 12/17/13 EmptyMon Mar 07, 2011 12:22 pm

Yay! So glad to hear you've had quick, good results!

Did they have her on liquid antibiotics? If they did, and gave you syringes, you should save the syringes from her medication for times like your recent brownie incident. Wink

Puppy
Puppy
j.gabriel

Female Join date : 2011-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Poor Hailey- UPDATE 12/17/13   Poor Hailey- UPDATE 12/17/13 EmptyMon Mar 07, 2011 12:27 pm

Glad she is feeling better!
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Poor Hailey- UPDATE 12/17/13   Poor Hailey- UPDATE 12/17/13 EmptyMon Mar 07, 2011 1:03 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
Yay! So glad to hear you've had quick, good results!

Did they have her on liquid antibiotics? If they did, and gave you syringes, you should save the syringes from her medication for times like your recent brownie incident. Wink
Nope- they gave us pills actually (Hailey is awesome with them. She'll eat anything LoL). However, after our last convo, I made John stop at the pet store on his way home from work and pick up a packet of syringes. Apparently the pet store woman thought he was crazy and was a little snooty about it. "Goodness, how often do you have to give him peroxide?" Stupid people. Not often, I just don't rush my dog to the vet like most people and like to be prepared! Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Poor Hailey- UPDATE 12/17/13   Poor Hailey- UPDATE 12/17/13 EmptyMon Mar 07, 2011 1:32 pm

So happy to hear Hailey is doing better!

Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Poor Hailey- UPDATE 12/17/13   Poor Hailey- UPDATE 12/17/13 EmptyTue Mar 08, 2011 4:50 pm

Another update: We've taken some steps back... she had an accident again last night and all of a sudden today she's going back to every 2 hours she needs to go out. We've been perfect with her meds, so I need to call the vet back Sad He said that the ammoxicillin doesn't work for every dog so I'm hoping it's just a medicine change that's needed Sad

Last edited by Koda on Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Poor Hailey- UPDATE 12/17/13   Poor Hailey- UPDATE 12/17/13 EmptyTue Mar 08, 2011 5:05 pm

Crying or Very sad

I hope it's just an Rx change....

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Poor Hailey- UPDATE 12/17/13   Poor Hailey- UPDATE 12/17/13 EmptyTue Mar 08, 2011 5:20 pm

awww poor Hailey! When are you taking her in? Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Poor Hailey- UPDATE 12/17/13   Poor Hailey- UPDATE 12/17/13 EmptyTue Mar 08, 2011 5:22 pm

Waiting for a call back from the vet...

Back to top Go down
friesianet
Puppy
Puppy
friesianet

Female Join date : 2011-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Poor Hailey- UPDATE 12/17/13   Poor Hailey- UPDATE 12/17/13 EmptyTue Mar 08, 2011 6:42 pm

Hope Hailey starts responding to new meds soon!!!
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Poor Hailey- UPDATE 12/17/13   Poor Hailey- UPDATE 12/17/13 EmptyTue Mar 08, 2011 8:57 pm

Vet just called back. He said the ammoxicillin WAS working to clear up the infection, but I guess it wasn't strong enough, so it stopped working he said. Hence the progress and then the huge step back today. I'm off to pick up another round of antibiotics that are a little stronger. It sounds weird, but in the appointment the first time, he did mention that this was possible, so I believe him.

My poor little Hailey! She just about breaks your heart normally with how pathetic and cute she is, but when she's not feeling well like this it just about kills you... Sad

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Poor Hailey- UPDATE 12/17/13   Poor Hailey- UPDATE 12/17/13 Empty

Back to top Go down

Poor Hailey- UPDATE 12/17/13

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next