It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Breaking/Redirecting Focus?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
KairoAndEmber
Puppy
Puppy

Female Join date : 2016-09-04

Breaking/Redirecting Focus? Empty
PostSubject: Breaking/Redirecting Focus?   Breaking/Redirecting Focus? EmptySun Sep 04, 2016 11:17 pm

So I am quickly learning that the "death stare" misplaced focus is completely a Husky trait - and Kairo has it. I can do NOTHING to get her to look at me short of having food (and I cannot hand back a fattened husky at the end of two months).

I know what games I played to get Ember's attention on me, and it took time but it was easy.

These games do not work for Kairo. They work as long as the food exists, but once they are gone, she will not look at me or react to any sound I make. She spends hours staring over the baby gate (usually at nothing, it would seem) and the rest of the time pacing inconsolably.

I am working on her exercise to stop the pacing, but I am not seeing any shift in focus. If anything, I am finding her LESS willing to look or work with me. I am hoping this is a time issue, but I need to know if not, how to stop it and redirect her focus.
Back to top Go down
Mark Grubbs
Teenager
Teenager
Mark Grubbs

Male Join date : 2016-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Breaking/Redirecting Focus?   Breaking/Redirecting Focus? EmptyMon Sep 05, 2016 2:21 am

To be honest, it sounds like she is missing her dad. Keep working with her and hopefully you won't get her trained right before your brother gets home! lol
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Breaking/Redirecting Focus?   Breaking/Redirecting Focus? EmptyMon Sep 05, 2016 11:24 am

To keep her from becoming a porker try using her kibble as her treats and factor in how much you've used and subtract it from her main meals.

Chances are she has seen or can hear your cat beyond the gate. My girl is hard to break as well. I push her. If she gets focused in I give her shove that throws her off balance and I follow it with a verbal queue. With time she will learn what is expected of her. Right now it's like you are working with a dog that has had zero training.

Puppy
Puppy

Female Join date : 2016-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Breaking/Redirecting Focus?   Breaking/Redirecting Focus? EmptyMon Sep 05, 2016 4:07 pm

All of this makes sense. I will keep working with her. Today she seems a little more settled even though we haven't worked as much. Maybe I jumped in a little too fast.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Breaking/Redirecting Focus?   Breaking/Redirecting Focus? Empty

Back to top Go down

Breaking/Redirecting Focus?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1