It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Raw Turkey Neck Yay or Nay?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rooen
Newborn
Newborn
Rooen

Female Join date : 2016-03-18

Raw Turkey Neck Yay or Nay? Empty
PostSubject: Raw Turkey Neck Yay or Nay?   Raw Turkey Neck Yay or Nay? EmptyThu Apr 14, 2016 5:44 pm

So I'm trying to do some basic raw additions to my pups diet. So far he only get's some raw nuggets from Primal (chicken) and some frozen marrow bones as a treat, a small one after dinner but I wanted to add another treat in there because he's spoiled...and raw is good!

So I wanted to know how safe they are, what should I look out for in terms of choking, is there a high worry about broken or splintering pieces of bone? Do you guys like them in general?

Any help would be great! Thanks!
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Raw Turkey Neck Yay or Nay?   Raw Turkey Neck Yay or Nay? EmptyThu Apr 14, 2016 5:58 pm

Many people feed raw turkey necks, and their dogs do seem to process them good enough. It really depends on how good of a chewer you have. Miya chews down bones really well and digests them no issues. My pup Sofie at 8 months, still does not chew bones small enough and will just swallow them in big enough pieces to swallow and then within 24 hours throws them back up, ew. I would observe, see how well he chews. Another option, which may be cheaper, and the bones are slightly bigger, so chewing is a must, is chicken thighs, the drumstick are ok too, but if you have ever seen a raw chicken leg there is one pin bone that I would remove first before feeding, the thigh is 100% no worries.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Raw Turkey Neck Yay or Nay?   Raw Turkey Neck Yay or Nay? EmptyThu Apr 14, 2016 6:01 pm

Oh and i will add, chicken wings I would skip, no meat value, but turkey wings should work good too.
Back to top Go down
Rooen
Newborn
Newborn
Rooen

Female Join date : 2016-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Raw Turkey Neck Yay or Nay?   Raw Turkey Neck Yay or Nay? EmptyThu Apr 14, 2016 8:04 pm

MiyasMomma wrote:
Many people feed raw turkey necks, and their dogs do seem to process them good enough. It really depends on how good of a chewer you have. Miya chews down bones really well and digests them no issues. My pup Sofie at 8 months, still does not chew bones small enough and will just swallow them in big enough pieces to swallow and then within 24 hours throws them back up, ew. I would observe, see how well he chews. Another option, which may be cheaper, and the bones are slightly bigger, so chewing is a must, is chicken thighs, the drumstick are ok too, but if you have ever seen a raw chicken leg there is one pin bone that I would remove first before feeding, the thigh is 100% no worries.

Oh cool! I'll have to see if they have smaller packs of them somewhere just in case he's not super great with the bones.

What about things like smoked leg bones. Like those really big, kinda oily ones you can get all wrapped up? He loves those but seems to have some soft poops after, generally normal and are those guys safe? He needs something long lasting in his crate.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Raw Turkey Neck Yay or Nay?   Raw Turkey Neck Yay or Nay? Empty

Back to top Go down

Raw Turkey Neck Yay or Nay?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1