It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

so just to clairfy; feeding a whole chicken is okay?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
LibbyM
Newborn
Newborn
LibbyM

Female Join date : 2016-02-18

so just to clairfy; feeding a whole chicken is okay? Empty
PostSubject: so just to clairfy; feeding a whole chicken is okay?   so just to clairfy; feeding a whole chicken is okay? EmptyThu Feb 25, 2016 2:11 pm

Ok, so I'm thinking about supplementing the girls' diet with raw when I can, but I just wanted to be sure, It's okay to give them raw chicken, bone and all?

I know only cooked bones splinter, but wont they choke on small bones? I just want to be 100% sure it's safe before I try.

also, they are both gulpers, I'm needing some slow feed bowls as it is.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: so just to clairfy; feeding a whole chicken is okay?   so just to clairfy; feeding a whole chicken is okay? EmptyThu Feb 25, 2016 2:16 pm

My in-laws feed whole raw chicken thighs without issue to their beagles who are the epitome of inhaling their food kind of dogs. As for whole chickens, I personally would avoid ribs. Not much for meat on them anyway, or get a meat grinder and grind up the bones and meat all. My parents have the LEM big bite grinder and it chews through raw chicken bones like they are nothing more than a little gristle.

I have kygen slow bowl and it works great with kibble. It isn't as efficient with raw. Raw that is ground up or cut up in small enough bites to fit in the grooves it does okay with but it won't work great if you need them to slow down eating a whole leg or wing or such.

Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: so just to clairfy; feeding a whole chicken is okay?   so just to clairfy; feeding a whole chicken is okay? EmptyThu Feb 25, 2016 2:25 pm

I know from reading, that a lot of raw feeders give whole, raw chicken leg quarters. I have a hard time visualizing a dog gulping that down. I also read a study (which, I cannot remember where nor who but vaguely remember that at the time it seemed well done) where a dog was given raw bones, they then did serial imaging, and the bone was well digested in the stomach (now that I think about it, that study was to determine whether feeding mixed kibble and raw was ok. Conclusion was, yes ok.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: so just to clairfy; feeding a whole chicken is okay?   so just to clairfy; feeding a whole chicken is okay? EmptyThu Feb 25, 2016 2:28 pm

Whole chickens are fine, the issue is amount, if you are feeding kibble then a whole chicken is way too much. Chicken leg quarters are a good choice, they get the drumstick and thigh, those bones are less pointy, and easier to chew up, feed frozen will slow them down. You may need to remove skin and some fat if stools get loose, however, with the bone in it and they eat the bone too, it should balance out. I prefer having my dogs eat the bone on their own rather than grinding, Jenn's method is perfectly fine, and the dog will get the bone that is needed, but, for me them eating the bone on their own cleans their teeth, I have never brushed my girls teeth, because the raw meaty bones clean them. At 3 years old Miya's teeth are still white just by giving her RMB's.

So my question is will you be feeding kibble every day and just want to add some raw? Or feed complete raw one day and kibble the next? I ask because the amount of food fed will vary depending on how you plan to feed.

Amy, I posted the thread a while back on the study, so it's here somewhere.
Back to top Go down
LibbyM
Newborn
Newborn
LibbyM

Female Join date : 2016-02-18

PostSubject: Re: so just to clairfy; feeding a whole chicken is okay?   so just to clairfy; feeding a whole chicken is okay? EmptyThu Feb 25, 2016 2:41 pm

yeah i'd rather give the bone whole than grinding, I'd probably get complaints from Dh about having to buy "another thing for the dogs" lol. Thighs and quarters sound good, I can definitely get ahold of those in bulk for a good price.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: so just to clairfy; feeding a whole chicken is okay?   so just to clairfy; feeding a whole chicken is okay? Empty

Back to top Go down

so just to clairfy; feeding a whole chicken is okay?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1