It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

He will not move!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rumflower
Adult
Adult
Rumflower

Female Join date : 2015-06-16

He will not move! Empty
PostSubject: He will not move!   He will not move! EmptyTue Nov 24, 2015 11:31 am

Hey y'all. It's me again. Sorry for bothering you guys again but I'm having this new trouble with loki. I searched "won't move" and nothing related came up so please let me know if I missed another thread on this.

Ever since the weather has gotten cooler he won't come in. I've tried bribing him with his favorite treats, toys, cheese etc. and he still won't come in. We'll be on a short walk and when we get back to our yard and he realizes we are going inside he'll plop down and will not move come hell or high water. It doesn't seem to be related to his energy level. Unfortunately I can't carry him anymore as he's pure dead weight. A quick tug on the leash has no effect on him. Can't just leave him, either, because no fence at my parents new house.

In other words, what do I do? Any help is greatly appreciated. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

He will not move! Empty
PostSubject: Re: He will not move!   He will not move! EmptyTue Nov 24, 2015 11:47 am

lol!  We call it "pancaking" here and Ami is famous for it.

If I'm really short of time and he HAS to come, I usually just end up hauling on his collar - its one of those things where dog ultimately learns "who's the boss" and that there are times when Mummy means business.  I hate doing it because I'm sure it's not comfortable on his neck.

Longer term - have you thought about running an Invisible fence around your parent's place?  It is way cheaper than any structural fence.

EDIT: Or just a plain tie out or overhead trolley? Beware, however, there will probably be a big ole hole dug to be made into a bed...
Back to top Go down
Rumflower
Adult
Adult
Rumflower

He will not move! Empty
PostSubject: Re: He will not move!   He will not move! EmptyTue Nov 24, 2015 1:00 pm

Thank you Amy, a pancake is exactly what it is! I'm a bit nervous to pull him in by his collar but it seems to be the only way. Mike and I are eyeing up a house that has a big old privacy fence so hopefully this will be a non issue before too long lol.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

He will not move! Empty
PostSubject: Re: He will not move!   He will not move! EmptyTue Nov 24, 2015 1:02 pm

Kohdi has behaved this way before, and when he did, at first I was irritated, I'm not gonna lie, but I also really know Kohdi and it just didn't seem to me he was doing this just to be a punk, it was more like he was trying to tell me something , like he knew what was best for him and kinda needed to be outside. You say the house is new, could there be something about it, new carpet smell, paint smell, something along those lines, that could be bothering him?
Back to top Go down
Rumflower
Adult
Adult
Rumflower

He will not move! Empty
PostSubject: Re: He will not move!   He will not move! EmptyTue Nov 24, 2015 1:26 pm

That's a good point. The house isn't super new and he does it at mikes apartment too, but there's a lot of stimuli outside. Parents house has opossums, raccoons, moles, etc. and the apartment is crawling with stray cats. Loki likes to kill vermin. I wonder if that is related to his behavior.
But then again he's also a bit of a punk, lol!
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

He will not move! Empty
PostSubject: Re: He will not move!   He will not move! EmptyTue Nov 24, 2015 2:28 pm

Danielle, I think Jimmy is really right on with his comment. Beings (dogs, humans, dolphins, [I'm not too sure about cats]) seldom do things without a reason. With our canine friends, it seems as if we humans are just too dense to see the doggish reason.

Personally, I think you've answered your own question, sounds to me like Loki is saying something like "I don't wanna go in! In the house all I get to do is lay around unless you decide you want to play. Out here there's all these animals I can watch and play with and maybe even eat if I get the chance!!"

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

He will not move! Empty
PostSubject: Re: He will not move!   He will not move! EmptyTue Nov 24, 2015 2:59 pm

LOL Danielle, there's a certain charm to a husky punk though Wink

Smells were just an example, your vermin theory is another good example, with Kohdi this summer there was a rattlesnake killing vermin within Kohdi's territory when Kohdi insisted on being outside, neighbor killed the rattler and once it was gone, Kohdi no longer insisted on being outside at night. Last fall/winter, Kohdi had another episode of staying out and thru sleeping outside with him (just to make sure he wasn't getting into any trouble) I found that a coyote was making a nightly appearance down in the canyon be earth my house. I guess what I'm trying to say is generally there is a reason behind the "punk", figuring it out though isn't always easy.

As for how to handle it though, ugh, with me, it really depended. Like I mentioned I slept outside a few days to see what was going on, there were also times I just picked his ass up and carried him in. But every husky is different and every situation is different, so it comes down to what works for you. Bribing him I'm kinda Leary of cuz it kinda says here is a reward for being a punk, IMO...even grabbing him by his collar can possibly have some consequences, him slipping out of it and bolting, or worse case scenario, him biting, but these I would think might be rare, but still possibilities. Kohdi has to my surprise started to obey me now when I say "time to come in", I kinda don't know how it happened though except for maybe a mutual trust and respect we are building everyday. Loki is so young and he will have his moments but trust and respect are being built between the two of you daily, so yeah, he will constantly get better.

I'm on my phone, so I can't really explain myself the way I'd like but I hope something I've said can help you.

Back to top Go down
Rumflower
Adult
Adult
Rumflower

He will not move! Empty
PostSubject: Re: He will not move!   He will not move! EmptyTue Nov 24, 2015 3:45 pm

Hmm. Maybe I will have to swallow my pride and ask my brother to pick him up when he starts his little tantrum. You'd think 64 lbs wouldn't be that hard to lift but I still fail lol. I can definitely see that the treats might reinforce his behavior.

I completely agree with the trust thing. It's been so long since I had a puppy I'd forgotten how much time it takes to completely bond. I used to think that I was super woman or something when I was able to grab my parents 130 lbs weim mix and make her do something. Now it's too late and I'm realizing it was only because she let me do those things to her. Ah! I got sentimental again!
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

He will not move! Empty
PostSubject: Re: He will not move!   He will not move! EmptyTue Nov 24, 2015 5:22 pm

Not necessarily Danielle, lol. Picking him up is not a whole lot different than grabbing his collar, either gets him in the house quicker but runs a certain risk depending on the dog /and circumstances, or possibly no risk at all, you know Loki best. I did pick Kohdi up, and he bitched and complained a lot, lol, both during and after, but I had done that at the beginning so I don't really view it as solving the problem. It's not an easy thing when outside is more entertaining than inside and you need him to be inside! You will have to work on figuring out what will motivate him to *want* to be inside. With picking him up, or grabbing his collar, each time will advance him to another level of outsmarting you so you have a harder time getting him in, example, dodging you when u come up to him or things of that nature. Figuring out a motivation to be inside rather than outside is a better way to go in my opinion. Maybe a playtime with him or something that he will look forward to when he walks through the door on his own. Even a treat after he is in (not to get him in) and settled. I don't know, these things can be tough!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

He will not move! Empty
PostSubject: Re: He will not move!   He will not move! Empty

Back to top Go down

He will not move!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1