It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Purina Bought Merrick?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rumflower
Adult
Adult
Rumflower

Female Join date : 2015-06-16

Purina Bought Merrick? Empty
PostSubject: Purina Bought Merrick?   Purina Bought Merrick? EmptyFri Sep 18, 2015 9:22 am

Ok, so please tell me I'm not the only one that is completely out of the loop on these things. Apparently Purina bought Merrick and Castor & Pollux way back in July.

Article Here

Better article here

I feel kind of sad. Everything Purina owns sucks. Sad Do any of you use Merrick?
Back to top Go down
davecerv
Adult
Adult
davecerv

Male Join date : 2014-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Purina Bought Merrick?   Purina Bought Merrick? EmptyFri Sep 18, 2015 10:05 am

Yep I was bummed out when I heard of this a couple weeks ago.. I like to give Mylo merrick canned food from time to time (mixed with his dr tims kibble).
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/davecerv
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Purina Bought Merrick?   Purina Bought Merrick? EmptyFri Sep 18, 2015 10:31 am

My cat gets Merrick. It is hard to get any food that isn't owned in some fashion by a questionable brand. I think unless you are going to buy some really hard to find backwoods brand made by a farmer in small batches or if you feed raw there's no way around it. Just about everything is owned by Purina or Diamond so you have to pick your poison.

Teenager
Teenager
tyler.jenkins.125

Male Join date : 2015-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Purina Bought Merrick?   Purina Bought Merrick? EmptyFri Sep 18, 2015 10:49 am

I like my Orijen too much. The one thing that has happened is that people are knocking their food off and selling it on the internet. They strongly urge to only buy from a licensed retailer. Besides that, it's such a good food.
Back to top Go down
http://tylerjenkinsmusic.com/
Rumflower
Adult
Adult
Rumflower

PostSubject: Re: Purina Bought Merrick?   Purina Bought Merrick? EmptyFri Sep 18, 2015 10:56 am

Sorry David. At least you still have the Dr. Tim.

Yeah you're right Jen. It's unfortunate that another company joined the corporate monster but it happens I suppose. Maybe I need some better perspective lol.I think once Mike and I get our house might switch loki to raw or something. Our groomer does raw and loves it.

Then instead of recalls and mergers I get to stress over parasites and pathogens lol. /facepalms at myself
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: Purina Bought Merrick?   Purina Bought Merrick? EmptyFri Sep 18, 2015 11:31 am

Move to a house on some acreage and raise your own beef and chickens to feed the dogs. Then you have less to worry about with parasites and diseases. Wink

Adult
Adult
Rumflower

PostSubject: Re: Purina Bought Merrick?   Purina Bought Merrick? EmptyFri Sep 18, 2015 1:17 pm

Lol! Not a lot of those around here. There are lots of squirrels though... What do you think is better for them: Purina or dumpster squirrels?
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: Purina Bought Merrick?   Purina Bought Merrick? EmptyFri Sep 18, 2015 1:33 pm

Squirrels are good eating. Throw them in a stew and you're golden. If you pressure cook them a little first it really tenderizes the meat nicely.

Adult
Adult
Rumflower

PostSubject: Re: Purina Bought Merrick?   Purina Bought Merrick? EmptyFri Sep 18, 2015 2:16 pm

Is it Thanksgiving already?! Pressure cooked rodent. Sounds succulent.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Purina Bought Merrick?   Purina Bought Merrick? EmptyFri Sep 18, 2015 3:04 pm

I had seen this just a few days ago, and well I was disappointed, I was planning on making the switch to Merrick's. According to their website, they will not be making any changes, business as usual. The purpose of Purina was to make it easier to get Merrick's food available to more people. After the big lawsuit Purina has had with Blue, I think Purina wanted to get in on the grain free market. As of now the only foods that I believe (someone please make changes if I am wrong) are privately owned and sourced USA or Canada are Fromm, Earthborn, Acana, Orijen, Dr. Tims, and I imagine a few more. I will be making the switch to Merrick's, for possible rotation diet for Miya and her baby sister coming in October, and I will watch for any changes. Luckily I do feed a partial raw diet, and may just have to buy a freezer and go all raw.
Back to top Go down
Rumflower
Adult
Adult
Rumflower

PostSubject: Re: Purina Bought Merrick?   Purina Bought Merrick? EmptyFri Sep 18, 2015 3:21 pm

Ah! New puppy! So exciting!

I was bummed out because Merrick is one of two foods on this entire earth Mr. Loki eats. I did not realize orijen was USA made. I've been wanting to try orijen but I've only seen large bags of it at our stores and it's hella expensive for something he might turn his nose up at. If I could get a small bag somewhere it might be a different story lol.

Tyler what flavor of it do you get?
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Purina Bought Merrick?   Purina Bought Merrick? EmptyFri Sep 18, 2015 3:30 pm

Danielle, Orijen and Acana I do believe are made in Canada, so they are safe. Yes they are expensive. I'm still going to go over to Merrick, and just watch for any changes. I do know that Chewy's carries both, and do offer 5 pound bags, if that helps.
Back to top Go down
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: Purina Bought Merrick?   Purina Bought Merrick? EmptyFri Sep 18, 2015 3:41 pm

wow, didn't know that. i usually buy here treats need to keep a close eye on my boys for any strange reactions to the treats specially my old man Joey. might have to start making my own chicken jerky treats lol.
I just hope that they don't loss the quality like blue buffalo did when they sold there company and had questionable sources, crosses fingers.
Back to top Go down
Rumflower
Adult
Adult
Rumflower

PostSubject: Re: Purina Bought Merrick?   Purina Bought Merrick? EmptySun Sep 20, 2015 1:47 am

Ahhh, Renee! Why did you tell me about Chewy's?! I just spent way too much money there LOL! I read up on those brands and saw Eathborn. When I looked at the reviews it seemed like the people really liked it so I ordered a sample baggie (and an elk antler and a backpack and some treats...). I hope this goes well!

Ronin let me know how it goes! I'm all ears when it comes to treat recipes lol.
Back to top Go down
tyler.jenkins.125
Teenager
Teenager
tyler.jenkins.125

Male Join date : 2015-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Purina Bought Merrick?   Purina Bought Merrick? EmptyMon Sep 21, 2015 11:00 am

Rumflower wrote:
Ah! New puppy! So exciting!

I was bummed out because Merrick is one of two foods on this entire earth Mr. Loki eats. I did not realize orijen was USA made. I've been wanting to try orijen but I've only seen large bags of it at our stores and it's hella expensive for something he might turn his nose up at. If I could get a small bag somewhere it might be a different story lol.

Tyler what flavor of it do you get?

I have Koda on the puppy right now. She DEVOURS it! It is expensive, but I believe it's worth it.

Earthborn is a good company. They are based in Evansville, IN which is only about and hour or two from where I live.
Back to top Go down
http://tylerjenkinsmusic.com/
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Purina Bought Merrick?   Purina Bought Merrick? EmptyMon Sep 21, 2015 11:05 am

This is what I feed Diz now. It has been the best food I have found by a long shot. I have him on venison, but I plan to rotate through the turkey and lamb flavors.

http://www.brotherscomplete.com/LEARN-MORE
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Purina Bought Merrick?   Purina Bought Merrick? EmptyMon Sep 21, 2015 11:17 am

Also, FWIW, keep an eye on stool when you switch to Merrick. The amount that was coming out of Diz was, ah hem, quite a bit more than any other food, which to me meant that there was a lot of useless ingredients in that food going to waste. I feed Diz 1.5-2 cups a day and a 25 lb bag lasts about 3 months.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Purina Bought Merrick?   Purina Bought Merrick? Empty

Back to top Go down

Purina Bought Merrick?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1