It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Need toilet/crate training help ASAP!!:(

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
pastash420
Newborn
Newborn

crate - Need toilet/crate training help ASAP!!:( Empty
PostSubject: Need toilet/crate training help ASAP!!:(   crate - Need toilet/crate training help ASAP!!:( EmptyThu Jun 04, 2015 11:46 am

Hey, I know this is long but if you could please take the time to read it and reply it would be much appreciated, I'm desperate! I bought a husky pup three months ago now (shes now five months old) and she has so far proved near impossible to toilet/crate train (especially if shes alone). I contacted the breeder to see if he had noticed any troubles specific to her compared to her brothers and sisters and that's when I was informed that he runs a puppy farm and she had "just been left in with the mum and other pups", he told me how her mum was a breeding not a house dog but she was young this was her first litter and she didn't do well so he'd be 'retiring' her, I knew from that point it was going to be a lot harder than any pup I've house trained before but this dog is something else. When I'm in the room, she rarely still has accidents and tends to wait at the door. However, if I'm even just in a different ROOM (I live alone in a wee 1 bed flat) or if she's in the crate and I'm up and about, she starts barking hysterically, pees and almost always poos as well (despite having been taken out to the toilet minutes before), I've been told by neighbours that she usually stops within half an hour or so if I leave her in and go out during the day but if I pop out at night or if I'm still in the house she squeals continuously for HOURS. I've tried leaving her in different rooms, leaving the crate in different rooms, gradually increasing the amoumt of time im leaving her, putting a sheet over the crate (just pulls it in), ignoring her, reassuring her, taking her back out when she starts, giving her treats in the crate, giving her nothing in the crate, controlling her water/food intake before being left alone, leaving her water and food while left alone, giving and taking away bedding, a smaller crate, a pet carrier (with plastic sides), enzyme based cleaners and pet odour removers, I've taken her to the vet and they gave her the all clear so I'm pretty much at my wits end. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, I love this dog to bits and I know I can give her a good life but I don't know what to do anymore, every time i leave her alone and even sometimes during the night (even though her crate is at the bottom of my bed) she does the toilet. She doesn't seem to have any inhibitions about jumping/rolling /lying in whatever mess she makes, when she had bedding in the crate I would come home to find her lying on whatever item I left her drenched in pee and covered in poo and if she doesnt get bedding she just spalshes around in it leaving the surrounding floor, walls, etc covered in mess, meaning i spend lots time crate washing, disinfecting and pet odour removing, multiple extra loads of washing a day, plus I have to regularly rinse/wipe her to get rid of the mess (which I know isn't good for her skin and coat). I really don't have any idea what to do anymore, I'm 17, I got her because I have mental and physical health problems and thought that a dog would be a positive influence in my life and reason to get me up and out more but I can't go see my friends or family because she'll mess either my house and herself (which I feel cruel enough about if I HAVE to leave her in) or theirs as she only pees/poos indoors or in my back garden, so any tips/ advice are readily welcomed! I mentioned the troubles I'm having with the vet and she told me just to stick it out, which I am but nothings improving, if anything it's only getting worse as the pees and poos are getting bigger... what can I do? Sad
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Need toilet/crate training help ASAP!!:(   crate - Need toilet/crate training help ASAP!!:( EmptyThu Jun 04, 2015 12:12 pm

Hi There. Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you've got a couple major problems on your hands. The first is crate training, and the second is potty training.

Lets start with the potty training. What steps have you taken, or what approach have you used?

Back to top Go down
Playing with the Big Dogs
Adult
Adult
Playing with the Big Dogs

Female Join date : 2013-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Need toilet/crate training help ASAP!!:(   crate - Need toilet/crate training help ASAP!!:( EmptyThu Jun 04, 2015 12:45 pm

As far as the going in the crate it sounds like she raised in what at best can be called a puppy mill. Most dogs naturally don't want to go potty in there sleeping area but if they are confined to a small area the whole time when they are young then they have no choice and learn to not care. Which means that it will be a little more work training her.

I agree with Jen that is sounds like potty training is the bigger issue. Answer the questions she asked and it will give us a better idea how to help you.

This is the method I used for house training and it really seams to be the best I have found. Simon was mostly potty trained by 3 months old.

http://www.dogstardaily.com/training/errorless-housetraining
Back to top Go down
http://playingwiththebigdogs.blogspot.com/
calii.brown.3
Newborn
Newborn
calii.brown.3

PostSubject: Re: Need toilet/crate training help ASAP!!:(   crate - Need toilet/crate training help ASAP!!:( EmptyTue Jun 16, 2015 4:16 am

The same exact thing is happening to me currently , but we know for sure she is from a puppy mill. She will roll over in it and smoosh it on the floor. We walk her daily but as soon as we leave her a lone she'll go to the bathroom in the house. All of the things above are happening also:(
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need toilet/crate training help ASAP!!:(   crate - Need toilet/crate training help ASAP!!:( Empty

Back to top Go down

Need toilet/crate training help ASAP!!:(

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1