It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Odd Husky Coat Color?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ConnorTeller
Newborn
Newborn
ConnorTeller

Odd Husky Coat Color? Empty
PostSubject: Odd Husky Coat Color?   Odd Husky Coat Color? EmptyMon Feb 16, 2015 3:51 pm

3yrs ago me and my fiance made the decision to bring a husky into our lives. He was simply jet black and white when we picked him up, but now his coat seems to be irregular and I haven't seen another husky like him. He's jet black along the top of his spine with diluted black/silver sides, but he has a very bright copper-red tail and ear tips. His fur also has a very strong copper color when he's in the sun and slight red tints to the fur just in front of his ears. He did have 2 brothers that were the same copper color, one a piebald and the other a typical coat pattern, but I've never heard of a dog getting mixed coat colors like that. His undercoat is also a silvery tan color, slightly more reddish along the sides of the dark stripe down his back. After checking different sites showing the colors they can be, I looked at individual strands and it seems to be irregular as well with a cream base, a copper red band, and a black tip. He also seems to have faint "tiger stripe" markings, similar to brindle dogs, but widely spaced out and much fewer in number.  I'd post pictures, but its hard to get him to hold still long enough and our camera never does the colors any justice.
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Odd Husky Coat Color?   Odd Husky Coat Color? EmptyMon Feb 16, 2015 4:41 pm

Might be agouti from what you are describing. http://www.huskycolors.com/agouti.html

As far as the stripes, they aren't uncommon. My boy has stripes as well though they aren't super pronounced.
Odd Husky Coat Color? 10631110

Could you maybe post a photo?

amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Odd Husky Coat Color?   Odd Husky Coat Color? EmptyMon Feb 16, 2015 5:55 pm

From what I have read, definitely sounds Agouti to me. Would love whatever pictures you can muster.
Back to top Go down
ConnorTeller
Newborn
Newborn
ConnorTeller

PostSubject: Re: Odd Husky Coat Color?   Odd Husky Coat Color? EmptyMon Feb 16, 2015 7:20 pm

I cropped and collaged together parts of each image to show what I'm talking about (friend took the pics last weekend on a hiking trip so I got her to send me what she had)

Odd Husky Coat Color? Jk2pRAe

the red tips on his ears don't show up as good from the front, but they are fox red on the back of his ear. These are the best I can do though, sadly. Agouti was actually what I figured he would be, but the definition says that the base of the hair should be black, which Xy's isn't.

*edit - his tail looks much lighter than than it does in person

Last edited by ConnorTeller on Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:22 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : extra comment)
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Odd Husky Coat Color?   Odd Husky Coat Color? EmptyMon Feb 16, 2015 7:56 pm

If not agouti, then sable is the only other coloration I could think of with his fur coloration.

Also is he out in the sun a lot? Sun bleaching can actually make the black fur look more red. Though I don't know that it'd be as drastic as the photos show.

Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Odd Husky Coat Color?   Odd Husky Coat Color? EmptyMon Feb 16, 2015 8:06 pm

Beautiful Husky Smile

Just before I bought Kohdi, I was visiting a different breeder and she had a black and white that had the reddish hue like in your pic "reddish hue in sun"...on her facebook page she talked about it because she wanted to show him and it was stated that the coat was *sunburned* and she was having a difficult time, although improvement was made, getting his coat back to normal. But only that one pic of yours looks like that, the others look like the the reds are really parts of his color. Its beautiful!! but I can't tell you what coat color it is.
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Odd Husky Coat Color?   Odd Husky Coat Color? EmptyMon Feb 16, 2015 8:22 pm

That coat looks sun damaged, not Agouti nor Sable.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
ConnorTeller
Newborn
Newborn
ConnorTeller

PostSubject: Re: Odd Husky Coat Color?   Odd Husky Coat Color? EmptyMon Feb 16, 2015 8:28 pm

He does spend a lot of time in the sun now, but his coat has had the red hue to it since he was a yr old and we weren't letting him out as often then due to some health issues. He was still jet black then though. The rest of the changes have all been after that. He did have a faint band of cinnamon color to him when he was around 4 months old, but it faded out around 6 months old and came back for a few months from 12-13 months old.
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Odd Husky Coat Color?   Odd Husky Coat Color? EmptyMon Feb 16, 2015 8:34 pm

If the coat, which is black, has browned without much sun exposure you should have his Thyroid checked. Beyond that I'd suspect a dietary deficiency. That is classic damaged black coat.

Agouti coat presents in the guard hair which will be tri-banded. The guard hair itself will be black at the base, tan middle, and black tipped.

Sable is only double banded, the majority of the guard hair (individual) will be tan, the tip is black.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
ConnorTeller
Newborn
Newborn
ConnorTeller

PostSubject: Re: Odd Husky Coat Color?   Odd Husky Coat Color? EmptyMon Feb 16, 2015 8:38 pm

Thanks for the info! We have a vet apt coming p so I'll bring that up with them!
Back to top Go down
JAM
Newborn
Newborn
JAM

Female Join date : 2015-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Odd Husky Coat Color?   Odd Husky Coat Color? EmptySat Feb 21, 2015 12:56 pm

I'd definitely say that is more of a Sun damage type of appearance. If he hasn't changed drastically from the other colors- then I'm not sure what else.

One of our puppies- Loki, was dark when we first met him, he then shed out a few weeks later when we picked him up to a light brown ( like a timber wolf color) He has then since switched to being black/brown/ and whiteish tan points. But almost gets extremely black in the summer time. If it was something like that, with him being such a young age I would question if it was a coat shed but seems highly unlikely.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Odd Husky Coat Color?   Odd Husky Coat Color? Empty

Back to top Go down

Odd Husky Coat Color?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1