It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

my puppy in her crate

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
cosmothunder
Teenager
Teenager

Female Join date : 2014-10-10

my puppy in her crate Empty
PostSubject: my puppy in her crate   my puppy in her crate EmptyTue Nov 18, 2014 1:41 pm

Bandit goes into her home(crate) on command. I can tell she doesn't want to but she has to when I leave. Sometimes I need a break from her while home so I put her in there and relax in the basement with tv or some video games. Well she likes to whine a lot while in her crate. Crying and almost howling anytime she hears me. I set up my gopro to watch her and she is so restless. Moving around, looking for a way out, sometimes chewing on the crate. I haven't caught it yet but I swear sometimes it sounds like she is ramming the crate trying to get out. For an almost 5 month old pup is this normal? Could this be the start of separation anxiety? She eventually calms down. When I leave for work I got about an hour of footage and all she did was whine for a bit then sleep. It's different if I'm home and she cant see me. So is this bad or normal puppy missing her daddy?
Back to top Go down
Barczewska
Puppy
Puppy
Barczewska

Female Join date : 2014-07-21

PostSubject: Re: my puppy in her crate   my puppy in her crate EmptyTue Nov 18, 2014 2:13 pm

It could be a bit of separation anxiety, but she is still young, so as long as you keep her crate a positive space for her, it shouldn't develop in to anything severe, and her crate will be her happy, personal space.

Sinatra has extreme separation anxiety...to the point where he was in an indestructible crate in his foster home as he was breaking out of a regular one and hurting himself on the wires.

Now that he is in our home, he is in a regular crate. He has managed to break out twice, but for the most part resorts to howling and crying for hours on end.

A couple things I have been doing to work on the anxiety:

-He eats in his crate. Not only does he associate food (positive) with the crate, it prevents a bullying opportunity from Kesler
-Every night i stuff a Kong with soft food, kibble, cookies and seal it up with peanut butter and put in the freezer. I put him in his crate about 15-20 minutes before I leave. If he has been calm for at least 10 minutes, he gets the Kong in his crate. This distracts him for a while and he doesn't seem to notice (or care) that I am leaving.
-When I come home, I don't immediately go and let them out of their crates. I spend at least 10 minutes getting settled. If he is howling and crying, I will ignore him until he calms down (harder for me than him). When I do let him out of the crate, I don't make a big deal about the fact that I am home. It is part of a daily routine and nothing to get overly excited about that I am home.
-Like you, if I need a break, I will put them both in their crates for a bit (especially useful when trying to clean the house!) If they are calm for a while, I will give them a treat (while still in the crate).
- I never let him out of the crate unless he is calm. If he starts acting up and I let him out, he will start to figure that all he needs to do to get let out is kick up a fuss.

Even if Bandit doesn't have separation anxiety yet, I feel that these practices can help her realize that being in the crate isn't a bad thing, and that crying and fussing is not a guarantee of being taken out to get attention. Kind of like letting a human baby "cry it out".

Hope she takes the hint! Razz
Back to top Go down
cosmothunder
Teenager
Teenager

Female Join date : 2014-10-10

PostSubject: Re: my puppy in her crate   my puppy in her crate EmptyTue Nov 18, 2014 2:26 pm

Okay I will try some of those things. Usually she gets hyper when I get home, bouncing in the crate. I make her lay down before I open it, if she gets back up I stop opening it. She is starting to under stand that. Now its been about 40mins and she is sound asleep. When she hears my voice I see her eye open but she doesn't care. She has accepted that she is in the crate. Should I feed her in there? maybe that would help?
Back to top Go down
Barczewska
Puppy
Puppy
Barczewska

Female Join date : 2014-07-21

PostSubject: Re: my puppy in her crate   my puppy in her crate EmptyTue Nov 18, 2014 2:32 pm

I would say anything that makes it a positive space for her is a good step. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: my puppy in her crate   my puppy in her crate Empty

Back to top Go down

my puppy in her crate

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1