It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Hi from San Diego

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

Hi from San Diego Empty
PostSubject: Hi from San Diego   Hi from San Diego EmptyThu Jul 24, 2014 8:46 pm

Hello everyone, I'm Jimmy and although I've had Siberian Huskies my entire life, I just recently discovered this site. I lost both my Huskies  April of 2013, just 2 weeks apart, due to Epilepsy...they were my life and I miss them both SO much. However, the house was just too quiet and never being without a Husky, I found myself getting another one, a boy...he's now a year old and just 2 months ago, I got him a lil baby sister..."Kohdi" and "Mishka"...from the same breeder but not the same parents. I still think about my last two Huskies everyday, but Kohdi and Mishka are helping me immensly. I'm happy to have discovered this site!!!
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Hi from San Diego Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from San Diego   Hi from San Diego EmptyThu Jul 24, 2014 9:52 pm

'k, hope tHi from San Diego 00613his works,haha, this is a pic (hopefully) of Kohdi now, at 1 year and 4 months
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Hi from San Diego Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from San Diego   Hi from San Diego EmptyThu Jul 24, 2014 9:59 pm

And this is Mishka, Kohdi's new baby sisterHi from San Diego 00410
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Hi from San Diego Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from San Diego   Hi from San Diego EmptyThu Jul 24, 2014 10:10 pm

I should clarify that I got my current huskies from the same breeder, but NOT the same breeder that sold me my last two who had Epilepsy.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

Hi from San Diego Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from San Diego   Hi from San Diego EmptyFri Jul 25, 2014 1:40 am

welcome Jimmy,

Wow Kohdi has such a striking mask, can't wait to see how Mishka's will turn out. I'm so sorry to hear of both of your losses. It's great that you got two new companions. My girl will turn 2 in November and I've been thinking of adding another. We love pics here, so keep posting. A great group of people on this forum.
Renee
Back to top Go down
lillith87
Senior
Senior
lillith87

Female Join date : 2013-05-26

Hi from San Diego Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from San Diego   Hi from San Diego EmptyFri Jul 25, 2014 12:30 pm

Welcome to the pack Jimmy! Sorry about your precious furkids. They are on the rainbow bridge waiting for you in the next life <3

As for your new furkids! They are soooooooo cute! Can't wait to see more of them Smile Everyone here is awesome so all you have to do is jump in the fun and you'll fit right in hehe
Back to top Go down
Iluvmyhuskies
Adult
Adult
Iluvmyhuskies

Female Join date : 2012-12-29

Hi from San Diego Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from San Diego   Hi from San Diego EmptyFri Jul 25, 2014 2:32 pm

We welcome you and your new furkids to the forums!!
Sorry for your loss...but I'm glad to hear the new furkids are helping you.

Mishka, looks so adorably cute!!!
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Hi from San Diego Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from San Diego   Hi from San Diego EmptySat Jul 26, 2014 4:10 pm

@MiyasMomma, lilith87, and iluvmyhuskies...Thank you so much!!!

Here is my most recent pic of Mishka...she's growing soooo fast, like...overnight!! hahaHi from San Diego 00810
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Hi from San Diego Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from San Diego   Hi from San Diego EmptySat Jul 26, 2014 5:39 pm

They look so happy together. Looks like she may have a little red in her or is it the camera/pic? I'm glad you are having success with them. I'm slightly afraid of getting a second because Miya is so spoiled. How are the two getting along if you don't mind me asking?
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Hi from San Diego Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from San Diego   Hi from San Diego EmptySat Jul 26, 2014 7:54 pm

Hi Renee...Mishka's father is a red/white, her mother is a grey/white, and Mishka is a grey/white but yeah, I've noticed the "red" in her...although Kohdi had similar coloring at her age, and that "red" (in Kohdi's case it was more a brownish-tan) will blend in to what I believe will be a darker (black/grey) top coat (with the reddish underneath...its hard to explain!! LOL) but Kohdi is grey/white and has these brownish-tan hues scattered throughout his coat, I think Mishka will look very similar.

I've always had 2 huskies throughout my life starting at home with my parents. It was recommended because Huskies are more a "pack" dog, and that they thrive when they have that companionship with another dog. When both my huskies died last year, it was devastating to me...my dogs were my life and so much of my world actually revolved around them (example is a 5 mile walk every night that we never missed...all of a sudden, there was no reason for me to go on a walk anymore) anyways, it killed me to look for another dog so soon but I needed to, so I looked and looked and looked, and found Kohdi, I knew immediately he was for me. Kohdi , like your lil girl, is SPOILED  Very Happy  and although I've always had 2 huskies, I really wasnt sure whether another one would be a good idea. But, I still "watched" for a lil girl (not actively, more when I was bored or something, haha) and this past April I found "Mishka", like Kohdi, I knew she was for me...so I put down a deposit (which coincidentally was a year to the day that my lil girl had passed away) and waited for her to be ready to come "home" (which coincidentally was my birthday)...I worried how Kohdi would react. My worries were for nothing...huskies are awesome that way!!! Wink although when initially first meeting, I truly believe Kohdi thought she was a stuffed  toy, haha, he treats her SO good. He's bigger than her of course, so they do need to be watched together so that she doesnt get hurt/stompled on, etc...but he shares his toys with her, plays with her, "protects" her...hes been awesome!! They have this thing (I think it might be an instictual thing) where either she'll put her head right in his mouth, or he'll open his mouth to put her head in (I know!! sounds wicked crazy but I think its a "test" of trust or something) anyways, neither dog has hurt the other although Mishka quite often has a mouth full of Kohdi's fur from time to time when they play AND there doesnt seem to be any jealousy, which was something I was very worried about since Kohdi was an only child for the first year of his life. With my last 2 huskies, my girl was 5 when I got the puppy, the dynamics were a lil different in that my girl took on the new role of being a "mother" to the puppy (example, teaching him things, playing with him but being more adult like...like with Kohdi, he's still a puppy but has a grown up body, so he COULD do some damage, but with my last 2, my girl was already an adult in mindset)
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Hi from San Diego Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from San Diego   Hi from San Diego EmptySat Jul 26, 2014 8:10 pm

Renee, this pic was taken within the first week of Mishka coming here..."sharing" water from Kohdi's bowl...he was awesome from the start Hi from San Diego 00210
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Hi from San Diego Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from San Diego   Hi from San Diego EmptySat Jul 26, 2014 8:18 pm

And another of them playing with a tree branch Kohdi found (Iphone pic so not that great) but again, within days of them meeting theyre already playing togetherHi from San Diego 02210
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Hi from San Diego Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from San Diego   Hi from San Diego EmptySun Jul 27, 2014 1:38 am

Awwwwwww, thank you Jimmy for sharing. They are so great together. I love, love, love the water bowl pic, so adorable.

As a girl growing up we only had one dog at a time, multiple cats, but only one dog. We first had a husky/gsd, when she passed away we had a gsd/wd(long story for today, haha). My mom always had some form of a gsd, before I was born. My parents last dog was "Clifford the Big Red Dog", lol, Irish Setter/golden Retriever named Jeter(If you know baseball, You know the name), he was a goofball, my sister got him because my parents were so lonely after our Gsd died. Like you, they had no reason to walk, etc., so I understand.

I can't talk my husband into getting a male, most people with multi dogs have male/female. Do you think it's ok to have 2 female huskies? We do know for sure it will be a husky, would like to wait until fall, when it's cooler to start training, but you never know.

Thank you again for sharing, you have a beautiful pair.
Renee
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Hi from San Diego Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from San Diego   Hi from San Diego EmptySun Jul 27, 2014 2:20 pm

Thank you Renee Smile
Personally, I think it would be ok to have 2 females. I know that most people (breeders, etc...) don't recommend having 2 males, but growing up, we had 2 males (one Husky and one Alaskan Malamute) and they were awesome together. There were lil "spats" here and there, but I think that happens in any house where more than one dog live together (its no different in people either, haha). Both of our males were neutured though so that may have some influence on it. The last few days since I joined this site Ive been skimming the forums and so many people have even more than 2 huskies/dogs so I'm thinking that how they get along together has less to do with the gender of each dog and more to do with us. You've already gotten your Miya to share a house with your cat...I think you'll be ok with whatever you bring home to her Wink I hope you will post pics when you get her!!!

Btw, the waterbowl pic...Mishka does it all the time, Kohdi's water must taste better than hers or something, LOL...as cute as it is though, often when she's finished, she takes the water bowl down with her Sad haha
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Hi from San Diego Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from San Diego   Hi from San Diego EmptySun Jul 27, 2014 2:43 pm

Miya is a gentle soul, loves to chase, but only wants to play. She tries so hard to communicate with the cat. She finds the highest pitch, quietest woof she can muster, thinking it sounds like "Meow" cat just freaks out and hides, haha. I think Miya would rather play with a living creature than a toy. One reason why we want another. I have pics of Miya, "Miya's scrapbook" and indeed I'll be more picture savvy with our new one when we get her.

Funny with the water bowl, Miya goes to the bathtub, that's where she gets her"thirsty" at night she drinks the cat's water, never could get her to drink from a bowl.
Renee
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Hi from San Diego Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from San Diego   Hi from San Diego EmptySun Jul 27, 2014 3:50 pm

Awww, Miya sounds a lot like my Kohdi.

I'm going to check out "Miya's scrapbook"...I've been skimming thru some of the scrapbooks already, getting to know the site... but find myself going back to threads on Epilepsy for some reason. Habit I guess from when I was reading everything I could find on the subject when my last 2 Huskies were going through it. Anyways, I'm going to check out Miya's scrapbook, and maybe start one for Kohdi and Mishka in the next few days.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Hi from San Diego Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from San Diego   Hi from San Diego EmptySun Jul 27, 2014 4:50 pm

Please start scrap books, we all love pics here. I never realized how common Epilepsy is with huskies, so sad, and I wonder why. Did you speak with the breeder you got Kohdi and Mishka from? As far as Epilepsy is concerned? Miya had some strange episodes when she was on Comfortis, my vet didn't know why I decided to stop using it, that's where I started learning more about Epilepsy in huskies. They are so smart, she refused to take Comfortis, I tried everything to hide it so she would take it and she knew every time. I give her topical flea meds now, plus Comfortis did not provide tick prevention and this topical does. She does fine with it and no more episodes, thus far.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Hi from San Diego Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from San Diego   Hi from San Diego EmptySun Jul 27, 2014 7:59 pm

I did speak with the breeder of Kohdi and Mishka about Epilepsy (one reason I chose her is because of her health guarantee of 8 years which includes Epilepsy...so many breeders won't even utter the word in their health guarantees) by coincidence, the clients she was helping at the time I got there, had just lost a husky to Epilepsy and were buying an adult for companionship for their other Husky, anyways, she says its becoming more and more common and blames it on irresponsible breeding practices mostly. The breeder I bought my last 2 from was a husky breeder for 50 years...when informed of not only their seizuring but also their deaths, all I was told by her was that none of her dogs ever seizured ( I would give ANYTHING to be able to talk to people who have littermates of the 2 I had) My vet, and the emergency vet that I often had to use, told me they had genetic epilepsy, there was a 5 year difference in age between both dogs and both had the same father...the breeder had continued to breed that dog for many years, if indeed genetic, just think about all the dogs out there who may have epilepsy, and even if not developing epilepsy, are carrying the gene for it. The breeder has since retired, but sold her business to someone else...I informed her also last year when both my dogs passed away...and on her site, I see pedigrees, and most of them have my dogs father listed in them. All she told me was that she was sorry for my loss.
As far as flea meds...I'm leary of all of them. I've read the topicals (like Frontline) build up in the dogs organs, and are finding as time goes on, organ failure and cancers linked to the specific chemical that builds up in the organs. I just recently read it though, and Kohdi is on Frontline, my last 2 were on Advantage. If using topicals, its recommended taking a break from them for a few months so that the dogs body can rid itself of the chemical. I've heard of Comfortis though, and I think its really hard on the stomach (I could be wrong though)
Im happy to hear Miya hasnt had anymore episodes...Smile!!!

I'll start a scapbook...Ive got tons of pics, LOL...Mishka's scapbook will be small though, haha, shes 16 weeks now...
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Hi from San Diego Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from San Diego   Hi from San Diego EmptyMon Jul 28, 2014 2:10 am

We use Fiproguard now, although few things are totally safe. Some of the husky owners here use natural products, having a cat makes it more difficult. Miya is a big time swimmer, so that's also a challenge. Winter time I'll stop using, thanks for the info. As far as comfortis goes, I am not a fan, I couldn't figure out why she would throw up so severely and have what I suspect mini seizures. That's when I read how many dogs had died from taking it, and was not recommended for dogs who were prone to seizures. She was literally telling me it was bad for her.

Many breeders are reluctant to believe that improving the breed starts with the health of their sire and dam, and not about eye or coat color. My neighbor wouldn't talk to us for months after having Miya fixed, because they wanted their husky to mate with ours. Yes he is show quality, conforms to standard perfectly, but neither theirs nor ours could get any paper work on their lineage. I wasn't smart to get Miya from a byb, but I knew better than to have her have puppies. Too many out there anyways. It's sad. The unsuspecting buyer, doesn't realize the challenge they are in for, weather it's health related or temperament. Sorry, I'll get off of my soap box now.

I can't wait to see your 2 beloveds scrapbooks. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hi from San Diego Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from San Diego   Hi from San Diego Empty

Back to top Go down

Hi from San Diego

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1