It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year)   Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year) - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 08, 2014 11:00 am

Our vet put Keno on Flexadin plus currently. It is a full supplement that supposedly contains glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM, creatine, perna canaliculus, and omega-3 fatty acids (so the package says). It is a chewy bone shaped thing but he won't take it as a treat so I've had to resort to hiding it in his food. If it tastes as strongly as it smells I can see why he doesn't like it. Apparently we could step up to the Advanced version and it is supposed to have some pain killing properties with some added ingredients, but I figured I would start with this. Like you, I would really like to manage without painkillers until I have to. I have this fear of him going through life in a fog and he's had so little life I know that's just no way to be.

Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year)   Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year) - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 09, 2014 2:16 am

Jenn,
I have mentioned this in another post before, but Keno reminds me so much of the very first dog I ever had as a little girl. Her name was Toni, husky/gsd with the same floppy ears and HD as well. Does Keno's ears straighten up when he is listening to something at a distance, just curious, hers did, otherwise floppy. On a hopeful note to you and to Kelly, medicine is leaps and bounds away from the early 80's, the last year of her life was tough, she was 12 when she passed. I remember my mom picking her up and carry her in on her bad days and wrap her in cool, wet sheets in the summer to give her relief. It was very hot that year, and my mom felt that the moisture penetrated her to her core and made it easier for her to walk. Don't know, she was a sweet dog, I would have thought warm and wet would have worked better. Anyway, she was 12 had it terribly bad, but she never fussed about it, girl's best friend.
Renee
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year)   Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year) - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 09, 2014 10:45 am

His ears never quite make it all the way up unless he's laying down and then the side that is pointed up will straighten. Other than that they just draw up a little taller but the tip, probably two inch worth, stays flopped over. He has been one of the sweetest natured dogs I've run across in a long time and seems to have a real affinity for telling when others are in pain. My husband blew his knee out last weekend and came hobbling into the house after. Keno made a bee line to that side and started sniffing the bad knee and making whimpering noises. He did the same when my blood pressure tanked shortly after I got him. He gets unnaturally concerned. I've been mulling over whether to say anything to my trainer about it. Maybe I could give Keno a purpose.

Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year)   Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year) - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 09, 2014 12:39 pm

That may be a great idea, forgot the term, but a dog that goes to hospitals, because of his empathy. Or an alert/companion dog. Don't get me wrong Kenzi is beautiful as well, but sometimes people pass over the mutts, as untrainable, or whatever, but they can indeed be wonderful dogs. You're a wonderful example of successfully adopting, and an ambassador for the mutts.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year)   Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year) - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 09, 2014 1:23 pm

Aww....thank you. I grew up with mutts and pure breds alike. We always had dogs with purpose or we didn't get them. My mom is like a divining rod for good hunting dogs and sure footed horses and she passed a lot of that along to me. When we first saw Keno I though, hmm...good running partner for Kenzi (mostly based on the breeds they claimed he was), but when I met him I knew that just wouldn't be so. So he couldn't do the job I got him for, doesn't mean there isn't a more worthwhile job out there for him. I think he would be a good therapy dog and potential service dog if we can get his hip issues under a good management system and maybe figure out how to keep him from clearing a table with a wag and a half of that lab tail of his. lol.

Canadian Sunrise
Kellyb

Female Join date : 2012-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year)   Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year) - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 09, 2014 2:09 pm

We got Ripley certified as a therapy dog actually, the hip issues shouldnt stop him at all on that front. the problem we faced was that this particular organization required a set commitment of hours per week, while I understand the need, its not an easy thing for us to do, so we opted to pass on the thing. Maybe we'll get her re certified with a different organization later that is a bit more flexible.
It has more to do with the dog's temperment than any breed/mix in my opionion. Rip was one of the few mutts in the group being tested, and she was the only mutt to pass. She's just a sweet, calm and loving girl, and they see that more than anything else. Though she almost failed when she tried to jump up at one point, but she jumped on the walker and thankfully not the person so she squeaked by.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year)   Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year) - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 09, 2014 2:27 pm

Keno won't jump on a person, but he is a bit of a licker. Not sure if that would be a problem. My trainer for kenzi has done many therapy dogs and owns one that he does work with regularly. They also host events at their training center and invite groups to come out and spend time with the dogs in training and those that pass the courses. The time commitment would be tough for me too. Balancing the things I would be doing with him while maintaining my time and responsibilities to Kenzi would be hard since I can't just take her along to events where other dogs might be and my husband isn't going to walk her.

Canadian Sunrise
Kellyb

Female Join date : 2012-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year)   Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year) - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 09, 2014 3:08 pm

Tika cant go either, she gets too excited when seeing other dogs. and she has a bad tendency to jump though we are trying very hard to break her of the habit (baby steps). Either way I doubt our schedule will be greatly reduced in the coming years, but maybe once we're a bit older (provided Rip is still able) we can visit a few places for therapy, otherwise maybe when Tika gets older and is calmer.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year)   Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year) - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 15, 2014 12:09 pm

Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year) - Page 2 10513388_10204573591607721_4161144111301753307_n

He LOVES his crate.

Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year) - Page 2 10502274_10204573591687723_2049167728686224464_n

Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year) - Page 2 10494813_10204573593287763_1133222018012882310_n

Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year) - Page 2 10402796_10204573593207761_6211585054732355549_n

Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year) - Page 2 10408939_10204573592767750_3951893881839319604_n

He can't contort himself quite as much as Kenzi, but he tries.

Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year) - Page 2 10302060_10204573593927779_4591459850185529959_n

Destroying bee legs

Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year) - Page 2 10500383_10204573594647797_37722679384903803_n

Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year)   Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year) - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 16, 2014 12:45 pm

Aw! He's so cute! I def see the husky in that upside down pic! I love the third pic from the bottom, he looks so loving and sweet. Smile
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year)   Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year) - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 05, 2014 4:31 pm

Now that Keno has earned his way out of the crate and into the bedroom at night he had to have a second bed since lugging his first bed was a hassle. He seems to have taken to it well. He snores 10x worse in this bed though.

Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year) - Page 2 10514717_10205011922205712_5694888192984650210_n

He looks terribly thin in this picture but he really isn't. He has filled to the perfect weight for him. Food time is his favorite time.

Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year) - Page 2 10647067_10205011922885729_6338654621701110222_n

Big yawn!

Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year) - Page 2 10407312_10205011922805727_8486096080488564693_n

And now a little demonstration of how excited he gets for dinner. He wasn't as vocal this time. Sometimes he dances and "sings".

Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year)   Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year) - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 05, 2014 4:39 pm

lol! lol! you got me laughing so hard. Kenzi was like, mom just give the silly boy his food. He looks so good, not thin at all. Thanks for sharing
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year)   Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year) - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 05, 2014 5:08 pm

I will be glad when he starts putting hair back on. My parents were over sunday and dad took one look at him and said "he shrunk". He lost so much hair, I assume clearing out the bad hair from when he was sick and years of being on crappy food. New food, new hair? Kenzi kinda did the same thing after we got her. She lost it all then put it all back on and never lost it the same again.

Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year)   Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year) - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 05, 2014 5:43 pm

Hey Jenn and he looks like a great pet - no other purpose, just company (kinda like my silly boy Avalanche!)
I had an old lab a few years back who was having some hip problems - at 12 I wasn't too concerned about getting her looked at but our regular vet suggest glucosamine ... like you I was wondering if it was going to help, but after a while (a month+) I could see that she was getting around easier, jumping up stairs that she had difficulty climbing, getting in the Jeep, etc. It helped her a lot, it just took time.

That first vid where they're dancing with the crate between them was a great example of what dogs who really want to get together and play will do!

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year)   Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year) - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 05, 2014 7:12 pm

Hey, I have noticed a difference since we started him on everything. Rarely do I have to help him up into the car after a walk and he even gets a little too excited sometimes and jumps up on the couch on his own. It's amazing what that stuff can do once it takes hold. I'm hoping it works for him for a long time before we have to step up to stronger stuff. Sometimes I think he gets around better than Kenzi now. Lol.

Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year)   Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year) - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 14, 2014 2:02 pm

Since he has slicked off and without his collar he looks like such a long dog sometimes and he really isn't.

Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year) - Page 2 10380558_10205286269024211_1047994113574895374_o

And this is how awkward mutts stack. Pure breds be jealous.

Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year) - Page 2 10661996_10205286271424271_546530631921919330_o

And this is what all the hullaballoo was about. Llama!

Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year) - Page 2 10700757_10205286269224216_5688580134152919945_o

Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year)   Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year) - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 14, 2014 11:49 pm

Ohhh, Jenn, you've done a fantastic job on Keno, nice stacking pick btw, he looks more Alaskan Husky now than gsd/husky. Such wonderful pics, and lol at the llama.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year)   Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year) - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 15, 2014 2:56 am

He has such pretty eyes...pretty dog overall of course, but I just love his eyes Smile
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year)   Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year) - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 15, 2014 8:43 am

He is looking so good. Such a handsome boy.

Is that an alpaca? Lol.

TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year)   Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year) - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 15, 2014 10:57 am

I'm pretty sure it's a Llama. It's pretty big and has the bigger ears. Most people around here get the llamas to protect their cattle since llamas will kill dogs and coyotes and there are a lot of dogs in our area that are allowed to just roam and do what they want.

Thanks guys. He is a sweetheart but a total pain. He's a whole different dog now that he's healthy and acts just like all the husky puppies I see in their terrible teens. Rotten to the core, this one, and we wouldn't change a thing.

Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year)   Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year) - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 03, 2014 2:05 pm

So Keno is not liking the new camera. Not sure if he thinks it is a gun or what, but the only time he will somewhat be himself is if he is outside running around.

Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year) - Page 2 10517404_10205477692169670_4594457037953730337_o

Maybe if I don't look at it it won't steal my soul.

Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year) - Page 2 10515195_10205477692129669_4541553816368907775_o

Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year) - Page 2 1658323_10205477692689683_3413233674964050903_o

He has such a strange body structure.

Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year) - Page 2 10697438_10205477692809686_7270911362447046263_o

Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year) - Page 2 10514190_10205477736770785_207593052583775275_o

Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year)   Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year) - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 03, 2014 2:23 pm

Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year) - Page 2 1404926_10205477694089718_457535196047754776_o

Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year)   Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year) - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 03, 2014 4:57 pm

He is so handsome, is it because of his hips that he appears to have longer back legs to his front legs? The next to last pic, his front legs up, is my favorite, omg, he is so adorably cute, not sure what he is about to pounce on, my guess Kenzi. They do make a happy pair.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year)   Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year) - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 03, 2014 5:08 pm

It could be some due to his hips that he looks taller in the hind end. His hips are mounted below the socket (what tiny bit of a socket there is) so his legs are actually a little lower than the top line of his back than where they should be. A lot though is just the odd mixture of breeds that is in him. He is structurally confused on many levels.

Totally getting ready to pounce on Kenzi in the bunny hop picture. lol.

Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year)   Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year) - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 25, 2014 1:23 pm

Keno sometimes gets to play with the neighbor's dog. Her name is apparently Esme, according to the collar she had for a very brief moment in time. We call her Spooky since when we moved in we were pretty sure she was a stray that had been abused because she was afraid of people and deathly thin. She has gotten very comfortable with us since. Kenzi won't be nice to her so she doesn't get play-time with Spooky. Anyone have any thoughts on Spooky's mix?

Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year) - Page 2 10636912_10205635836683184_731315140342719851_o

Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year) - Page 2 1556450_10205635836723185_5479769953091836544_o

Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year) - Page 2 10620442_10205635836763186_1879018993124424808_o

Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year) - Page 2 10655166_10205635837283199_6922557513499621504_o

Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year) - Page 2 1404673_10205635837443203_2518671120903575428_o

Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year) - Page 2 10548007_10205635837523205_9214548264044650621_o

Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year) - Page 2 10697157_10205635837923215_8654053576678853092_o

Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year) - Page 2 10680092_10205635838003217_8948520679948209952_o

Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year) - Page 2 1798963_10205635838043218_2982430516374801995_o

Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year) - Page 2 10830081_10205635838403227_9101671070754198148_o

PostSubject: Re: Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year)   Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year) - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Our backyard dog-Keno (We've had him a year)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next