It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Karma and Kato, the cat killers :(

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Iluvmyhuskies
Adult
Adult
Iluvmyhuskies

Female Join date : 2012-12-29

Karma and Kato, the cat killers :( Empty
PostSubject: Karma and Kato, the cat killers :(   Karma and Kato, the cat killers :( EmptyTue Feb 18, 2014 7:46 pm

On sunday night we let them out to play. Usually I can hear their tags jingling on their collars so I know they are outside an ok, but that night it was really quiet. So I knew something was strange. I tried calling them and nothing.

So I go to the back of the house where I know they like to play, and lying before them was a petite grey cat!! Kato, just looked at me and then looked down at the cat....kinda like "look mommy, look what we did!" ugh, this is their third cat....within a couple of months! We have A LOT of strays on our street, so I'm hoping it wasn't someone's pet. Sad

What can I do to stop them from killing cats? I know it's in their nature to hunt, but it's sad to see them kill these cats.
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Karma and Kato, the cat killers :(   Karma and Kato, the cat killers :( EmptyTue Feb 18, 2014 8:29 pm

We had a similar experience over the weekend with one of our squirrels. We let the pups out in the snow, they run around the house and had what looked to be a toy in their mouth, so we think its cute and start snapping pictures and then realized its one of our squirrels we've been feeding. It was so sad! Thankfully, it died instantly so the poor think didn't suffer.

I'm not too sure how to make the behavior stop. I hope your crew don't get anymore kitty's.
Back to top Go down
riggaberto
Puppy
Puppy
riggaberto

Male Join date : 2013-04-28

PostSubject: Re: Karma and Kato, the cat killers :(   Karma and Kato, the cat killers :( EmptyTue Feb 18, 2014 8:58 pm

Sorry to hear that - I can't think of anything that would stop such a thing other than watching them super close and correcting them when they chase. That's what I've had to do with our inside cats.

We also have strays around...I'm worried that Chuck is going to get one that creeps into the back yard one of these days and suddenly the house cats no longer look like the aloof friends who you hang out with for some reason...and instead look like food.

Back to top Go down
techigirl78
Adult
Adult
techigirl78

Female Join date : 2013-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Karma and Kato, the cat killers :(   Karma and Kato, the cat killers :( EmptyTue Feb 18, 2014 9:23 pm

I put up a 6 foot fence with bunny guards going down 18 inches. It stopped the bunnies coming in and squirells seem to be smart and do not come in my yard. My lab probably killed 30 bunnies before we completely bunny proved it. If I had cat issue (no strays ever seen), I would add cat guard that is like netting and flip it the other way. It is put on like 45 degree angle and is about 18 inches tall. I have been debating adding it for opposums as my lab and loki killed 4 babies this past fall.
Back to top Go down
MyDoppler
Newborn
Newborn
MyDoppler

Male Join date : 2013-10-16

PostSubject: Re: Karma and Kato, the cat killers :(   Karma and Kato, the cat killers :( EmptyThu Feb 20, 2014 4:34 am

Oh bless your huskies, our Doppler since we got him able to catch around 5 squirrels wandering our yard, and have not killed any of them.
Back to top Go down
Iluvmyhuskies
Adult
Adult
Iluvmyhuskies

PostSubject: Re: Karma and Kato, the cat killers :(   Karma and Kato, the cat killers :( EmptyThu Feb 20, 2014 2:25 pm

Thanks guys for all the great ideas! I need to try something, I don't want to keep picking up poor lifeless kitty bodies.  Sad 
Back to top Go down
Playing with the Big Dogs
Adult
Adult
Playing with the Big Dogs

Female Join date : 2013-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Karma and Kato, the cat killers :(   Karma and Kato, the cat killers :( EmptyFri Feb 21, 2014 12:37 pm

Maybe put a bell on there collars? I know when I had a cat as a kid putting a bell on him stopped him killing birds so maybe if you make the huskies more noisy the cats will get a heads up?
Back to top Go down
http://playingwiththebigdogs.blogspot.com/
Iluvmyhuskies
Adult
Adult
Iluvmyhuskies

PostSubject: Re: Karma and Kato, the cat killers :(   Karma and Kato, the cat killers :( EmptyThu May 15, 2014 2:39 pm

And this is what happens to him when he wants to crawl under the fence for cats.... Rolling Eyes 

Karma and Kato, the cat killers :( 20140511

Karma and Kato, the cat killers :( 20140512
Back to top Go down
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Karma and Kato, the cat killers :(   Karma and Kato, the cat killers :( EmptyThu May 15, 2014 5:18 pm

Ooh Lord haha. And he has that look of "I did nothing wrong"
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Karma and Kato, the cat killers :(   Karma and Kato, the cat killers :( EmptyThu May 15, 2014 5:21 pm

"SEE, I TOLD you they are evil!"
Back to top Go down
Iluvmyhuskies
Adult
Adult
Iluvmyhuskies

PostSubject: Re: Karma and Kato, the cat killers :(   Karma and Kato, the cat killers :( EmptyThu May 15, 2014 5:34 pm

Rocio_Caballero wrote:
Ooh Lord haha. And he has that look of "I did nothing wrong"

Ahhh yes he does, he has the same look for EVERTHING that he gets into.

Last edited by Iluvmyhuskies on Thu May 15, 2014 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Iluvmyhuskies
Adult
Adult
Iluvmyhuskies

PostSubject: Re: Karma and Kato, the cat killers :(   Karma and Kato, the cat killers :( EmptyThu May 15, 2014 5:36 pm

wpskier222 wrote:
"SEE, I TOLD you they are evil!"

"it's ok mom, I'll get em next time!"...lol

I swear with these two! Karma too had blood all over her front paws. At first we just thought they played a little rough with eachother, but then I heard the neighbor behind us hammering the fence. So I asked him what happened, and he said "your dogs tried getting into my yard...I think their after the strays we have back here"....hmmm, you think!!!!

The other day I peeked over the fence to see his wife feeding at least 20 strays...
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Karma and Kato, the cat killers :(   Karma and Kato, the cat killers :( EmptyThu May 15, 2014 6:20 pm

Iluvmyhuskies wrote:

The other day I peeked over the fence to see his wife feeding at least 20 strays...

Yummy tongue I'll bet that smells wonderful. Part of Ami's job is to deter feral cats. Damn things spray all over the front and back steps, the garages...drives husband wild Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
Iluvmyhuskies
Adult
Adult
Iluvmyhuskies

PostSubject: Re: Karma and Kato, the cat killers :(   Karma and Kato, the cat killers :( EmptyThu May 15, 2014 6:36 pm

The other day I was in the backyard brushing Kato, and we heard an old woman say "come and get it, I know your hungry" I thought oh she must be feeding a dog or something...so my daughter looks through a peep hole in the gate, and she tells me "mom, look at all those cats!" I can't stand when people do that...then we have litters of kittens hiding in the garage or backyard.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Karma and Kato, the cat killers :(   Karma and Kato, the cat killers :( EmptyThu May 15, 2014 6:54 pm

I can't stand when people do that...then we have litters of kittens hiding in the garage or backyard

That was our first introduction to the feral cat problem - went into my shed one spring and a cat (that I thought was male Laughing ) went shooting past me from the rafters and still wet kittens fell from tarps! I used to do trap, spay and release to try and control the population but there was always more to move in. The humane society would spay them for free if I agreed to release them back here and feed them - the theory was that the spayed cats would not reproduce and would keep others from moving in. Not. Ami does a much better job - the cats took one look at the "wolf" in the back yard and no more ferals Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Karma and Kato, the cat killers :(   Karma and Kato, the cat killers :( Empty

Back to top Go down

Karma and Kato, the cat killers :(

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1