It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Do Husky get alone with small breed dogs

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
prentiss80
Newborn
Newborn
prentiss80

Male Join date : 2012-12-09

Do Husky get alone with small breed dogs Empty
PostSubject: Do Husky get alone with small breed dogs   Do Husky get alone with small breed dogs EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 9:23 am

I have two Husky and I want to get a small dog? I am just wondering will that work. My husky are over a year old. Should I introduce a small breed dog to them?
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Do Husky get alone with small breed dogs   Do Husky get alone with small breed dogs EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 9:49 am

Personally, I wouldn't. We have a larger size Yorkie (12 lbs) and I'm constantly on the watch with him. The dog's are ALWAYS separated and only together at bed time. The reason for this is because, we use to have two Yorkies. We had them over five years, before we got our Huskies and figured them growing up together wouldn't be an issue, especially since the Yorkies were here first. A little over a year ago, one of my Huskies attacked my tiny female and killed her almost immediately. Since, my Husky has attacked my male Yorkie as well. He's also attacked smaller dog's at the park (this was only when stupid people brought food into the park though). My life is chaos having the Yorkie and Huskies.

Some people have tiny dogs and Huskies together, but I would never trust it, especially since you're Huskies are older. Huskies are known to have high prey drives, so please consider this before welcoming home a new small dog.
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Do Husky get alone with small breed dogs   Do Husky get alone with small breed dogs EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 10:50 am

I think it depends on the dog and if they get along with small dogs now. Siku is excellent with small dogs and puppies and he just knows their limits, however Nikolai I'm confident giving the chance, he would probably kill a small dog, just because he has very rough play skills like most huskies. I would say no, if you aren't sure how you dogs act around smaller animals. Maybe consider something that would be say like 35lbs or so?
Back to top Go down
prentiss80
Newborn
Newborn
prentiss80

PostSubject: Re: Do Husky get alone with small breed dogs   Do Husky get alone with small breed dogs EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 11:24 am

Thank you for your feedback. I will not get a small dog. Hayden_69 I am so sorry for the loss of your puppy. I felt the pain just from reading it. You guys are great and your post finalized my decision.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Do Husky get alone with small breed dogs   Do Husky get alone with small breed dogs EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 11:30 am

It really depends on the individual, but yes they can. Of course it will be your responsibility to keep the small dog safe which means close supervision and separation when left alone.

I have a sibe who does great with cats, small dogs, and even guinea pigs. Granted it took a lot of work and training and he can never be completely trusted without supervision.

I also know someone with 3 huskies and 3 chihuahuas, it is entirely possible.

Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Do Husky get alone with small breed dogs   Do Husky get alone with small breed dogs EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 12:42 pm

My brother his a min pin. And they play every weekend together. They never have roam of the house unsupervised. But they are both still really young with koda being lil over year, and bernard being 6 months. They play well together, sometimes i have to tell koda to be easy, but for the most part he does really good. He actually lays down and plays with bernard usually unless they are playing chase. Sometimes bernars is actually a little rougher than koda lol. But like val said i think it depends on each dog, and just always have them supervised
Back to top Go down
prentiss80
Newborn
Newborn
prentiss80

PostSubject: Re: Do Husky get alone with small breed dogs   Do Husky get alone with small breed dogs EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 2:01 pm

I am talking a maltipoo Pomeranian mix very small puppy and will stay small. I just cannot see being watch guard trying to make sure my husky dogs will not attack the tiny one.
Back to top Go down
laura56083
Teenager
Teenager
laura56083

Female Join date : 2013-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Do Husky get alone with small breed dogs   Do Husky get alone with small breed dogs EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 2:58 pm

I definitely have to agree it depends on the dogs. My oldest one is absolutely great with small dogs, in fact she plays with my cousins chihuahua mix almost every day with no problems. However, Keeara on the other hand plays way too rough and I always have to separate her. She has hurt him in the past, not because she wanted to but because she's so much larger and rougher. I would have to say it IS possible but it would require a lot of supervision!
Back to top Go down
RachelNala1694
Adult
Adult
RachelNala1694

Male Join date : 2013-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Do Husky get alone with small breed dogs   Do Husky get alone with small breed dogs EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 4:36 pm

My boyfriends mom has 2 small poodle mix dogs and Nala sees them and just attacks she isn't very good with them at all. she cant be around a small dog she plays waaaaay to rough, i think it does depend though if the sib grows up with the smaller dog. Not the other way around.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Do Husky get alone with small breed dogs   Do Husky get alone with small breed dogs EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 6:38 pm

RachelNala1694 wrote:
i think it does depend though if the sib grows up with the smaller dog. Not the other way around.

I disagree, my sibe is a perfect example of this. Either situation would require lots of patience, training, and supervision.

Based on the OP's last response it doesn't sound like they are interested in putting in the extra work a small dog will require. With that in mind, I wouldn't bring in a small breed into the equation.

Adult
Adult
RachelNala1694

Male Join date : 2013-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Do Husky get alone with small breed dogs   Do Husky get alone with small breed dogs EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 6:39 pm

Neither would i.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Do Husky get alone with small breed dogs   Do Husky get alone with small breed dogs EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 6:59 pm

Like mentioned above, it greatly depends on the individual dogs personality and prey drive. Kale lives with a 15lb Dachshund/Corgi and two cats and has never shown any aggression whatsoever towards any of them, and I leave them all home alone together (yes the cats and Violet have an escape route  Rolling Eyes ). Kale gets along with dogs of all sizes, even 4lb Chihuahuas. It's all in really knowing your dog, and what they can and cannot handle. (Note the high value antler in the first pic lol, and no Kale's not choking himself in the second pic, it's a flexi-lead)

Do Husky get alone with small breed dogs Img_1310

Do Husky get alone with small breed dogs 98390210
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
lillith87
Senior
Senior
lillith87

Female Join date : 2013-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Do Husky get alone with small breed dogs   Do Husky get alone with small breed dogs EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 9:33 pm

When we went to the Michigan H2M2, there was this TINY TINY TINY itty bitty dog. It was not bigger than a Guinea  pig maybe even smaller... I was soooooo afraid because of all the huge huskies and Mals around... because honestly it looked like a squeak toy. Okami ran over to it and was playing with it all careful and gentle. So I would say that it is possible, but I would certainly make sure there is supervision at all times to be safe. Okami has also played with scotties and did just fine. I personally would never get a small dog while I have big dogs. I used to when I was a kid, wasn't exactly my choice, but I was pretty much the main caregiver for them since I was like 13 and my dad didn't seem to care to take care of them at all... anyways.... we had a German Shepard, a Lab, a Lab and Pit mix, a Beagle and 2 Boston Terriers... They all got on like they were a pack, so it was easy going. IT IS A LOT OF WORK! Training is almost impossible so it happens slowly and over time to work with the bigger dogs to not be rough to the little dogs, but you have to be consistent.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Do Husky get alone with small breed dogs   Do Husky get alone with small breed dogs EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 11:16 pm

Definitely depends on the individual dog, my huskies get along perfectly fine with Cloud, my 22 pound American Eskimo. Link has incredibly high prey drive, any cat he sees is lunch to him but despite that he sees Cloud as a playmate and never goes into prey mode with him. But smaller dogs, like 10 pounds, I probably wouldn't chance. Just personal preference though, and because I know my dogs prey drive.
Back to top Go down
techigirl78
Adult
Adult
techigirl78

Female Join date : 2013-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Do Husky get alone with small breed dogs   Do Husky get alone with small breed dogs EmptyTue Jan 21, 2014 12:13 am

I agree with others that you would have to know your dog. Personally, I know after having a small dog with big dogs (not huskies) that I would probably avoid it. I would be more inclined to slightly larger dog like 20 or 30 or more pounds.
Back to top Go down
moto1087
Teenager
Teenager
moto1087

Male Join date : 2013-07-08

PostSubject: Re: Do Husky get alone with small breed dogs   Do Husky get alone with small breed dogs EmptyTue Jan 21, 2014 9:06 am

We have a 16lbs boston terrier and a kitten along with rikku. rikku and the boston terrier get in to fights here and there, so we are constantly trying to keep an eye on them. yet rikku plays great with small dogs at the dog park and when they come over and is best friends with our cat. rikku also plays great with the boston terrier, but when one or the other is not in the mood, chaos will break loose, and if we are not paying attention for the signs, the boston terrier would probably suffer some serious injuries, so id say it depends on how much you want to keep an eye on them and how well you know the dogs, just because they play well together doesnt mean its always going to go well it only takes one time of them getting pissed off.
Back to top Go down
TheBadGuppy
Teenager
Teenager
TheBadGuppy

Female Join date : 2013-06-20

PostSubject: Re: Do Husky get alone with small breed dogs   Do Husky get alone with small breed dogs EmptyTue Jan 21, 2014 12:00 pm

It also depends on the personality of the little dog. Gus gets along great with small dogs. Sometimes i feel like he prefers playing with the little ones at the park haha. Two of my friends have smaller dogs (around 20lbs), and Gus plays great with them. He's very gentle with them. BUT these two smaller dogs are also very feisty! They aren't scared of him, and they have no problem "fighting" back. Just last night, he was playing with one of his small buddies (a pug), and the pug had Gus on his back and was just wrestling his face. But i guess the pug got a little too wild and Gus started whining so we intervened right away, but pug's are slippery! Gus was also getting up and about to put his buddy in his place. Ten seconds later, they were back to being friends again haha.

Gus has defended himself to smaller dogs before though. It's weird, but some smaller dogs just don't seem to like him at the park, but they can't just leave him alone. No, they have to run along side him and repeatedly nip at his face while barking at him. So eventually he does get fed up and will put them in their place. I get there pretty quickly to break it up, so i don't know if he would ever actually hurt them. He hasn't so far. This seems to only happen with small dogs. I don't know if it's that bigger dogs just understand cues better or what it is. But a simple growl between Gus and a bigger dog, and then it's over.

So i think it's two way street. Husky has to be good with the small dog, but the small dog also has to learn to respect the husky!
Back to top Go down
sinolav
Newborn
Newborn
sinolav

Male Join date : 2014-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Do Husky get alone with small breed dogs   Do Husky get alone with small breed dogs EmptyThu Jan 30, 2014 6:30 pm

Lexie took care of our aging Yorkie-Poo for the first six years of her life. She was a bit heart broken when he passed away at 17 years old. She never was aggressive with him, but kept him in tow gently. So yes, Huskies can get along with small dogs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do Husky get alone with small breed dogs   Do Husky get alone with small breed dogs Empty

Back to top Go down

Do Husky get alone with small breed dogs

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1