It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

help with pulling

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
civicgurl69
Newborn
Newborn

help with pulling Empty
PostSubject: help with pulling   help with pulling EmptySun Dec 29, 2013 11:13 pm

I have a 4 year old Siberian Husky that we just got 3 days ago, he will chase cats (which I understand why) but I try to take him for long walks and would love to get him to run with a bike, but he will also go after horses, and cows, any thing that moves, is there anyway I can get him to stop going after everything?
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

help with pulling Empty
PostSubject: Re: help with pulling   help with pulling EmptySun Dec 29, 2013 11:25 pm

I would suggest start small on foot and with treats. This way you can have a precise amount of interaction with him and begin teaching commands for left, right, on by, whoa, etc.

Have really high value treats on hand and reward for successfully obeying commands.

Then just work your way up towards active pulling with less direct interaction.
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
Taiga
Newborn
Newborn

help with pulling Empty
PostSubject: Re: help with pulling   help with pulling EmptyMon Dec 30, 2013 12:54 am

What Seattlesibe said ^

Also, it may just be an acclimation thing. If he hasn't had much interaction with other species and he's full of energy, *everything* is probably potential chase/play material. Oh boy! Horse! Oh boy! Cow!

You may find just hanging out near them for a while where he can't chase them (on lead, or in an enclosure) helps wear some of the newness off.

We have elk where we live, and when we first moved in our husky would run up and down the fence line barking at them and playing with the calves (who liked a good romp as much as Vikhr did, much to their mom's displeasure). However, as time as gone on, he does it less and less. It's more "Oh, I see the elk are here tonight. Very nice." and goes back to nosing around.

I'm not saying he wouldn't chase them outside the fence if we were close enough, and I'd still keep a sharp eye on him while on my bicycle. But it's not the foregone conclusion it used to be.
Back to top Go down
Hughie
Adult
Adult
Hughie

help with pulling Empty
PostSubject: Re: help with pulling   help with pulling EmptyMon Dec 30, 2013 10:15 am

You have only had three days so in his mind he is not your dog yet. This does give you an empty slate to work with so to speak. He knows what he could do with his previous owner but you are new and can teach him what YOU expect of him! Four years old or not I would start with basic obedience, this would help in trust and bonding issues that will need if you plan to run him later with bike, sled, or ski's. If your not sure how to start find an excellent trainer (many trainers out there, get one that knows what they are doing) and consider the monies you spend on this to be well invested in a long happy future with your dog Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
HuskaDoodle
Newborn
Newborn
HuskaDoodle

Male Join date : 2013-12-13

help with pulling Empty
PostSubject: Re: help with pulling   help with pulling EmptyMon Dec 30, 2013 10:37 am

As Jeff said, high value treats work well! Hughie is also bang on - training / basic obedience goes along way. Look for training that isn't in a busy place, and smaller class sizes (10-12 dogs). Easy Walk harnesses are great for walks - for off leash events I generally suggest taking the harness off. Taiga is 100% right, everything right now is new and exciting - hence the pulling! Over the coming weeks you will see adjustment in behaviour as the bond between the two of you grows!

Don't get frustrated, just as you are adjusting so is he and this is a great time to set expectations. He will tell you things he needs and you will tell him things you need. Dogs love routine and regularity. Right now is the best time! Although trying, this is when you shape each other and the relationship you'll have for years and years to come!
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

help with pulling Empty
PostSubject: Re: help with pulling   help with pulling EmptyMon Dec 30, 2013 10:49 am

All the training suggestions are great. Smile

You could also try a pinch collar or no pull harness (easy walk, wonder walker, etc.) as a temporary fix until you are able to implement the training. You will probably have trouble getting him to focus on anything until you get some of the crazy out. Smile Using one of these tools would help you be able to safely get that energy out, and then you could start working on your training sessions following the energy release.

I think trying to get him to focus on training with all that pent up energy is going to be almost impossible.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

help with pulling Empty
PostSubject: Re: help with pulling   help with pulling EmptyMon Dec 30, 2013 3:30 pm

My impression of the OP was that she wanted the dog to pull just to not be distracted by other things, essentially how to train the dog to focus and stay on course??

Is this right? You weren't interested in stopping the pulling per se, like on walks?

Either way, it's basically the same advice.

The right equipment, treats, patience, corrections, and praising obedience to the commands.
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
HuskaDoodle
Newborn
Newborn
HuskaDoodle

Male Join date : 2013-12-13

help with pulling Empty
PostSubject: Re: help with pulling   help with pulling EmptyMon Dec 30, 2013 5:58 pm

Ah good point Jeff. If that is the case, you're 100% bang on.. as with anything practice makes perfect. Patience and consistency is key.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

help with pulling Empty
PostSubject: Re: help with pulling   help with pulling Empty

Back to top Go down

help with pulling

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1