It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

What do you think of this breeder?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

breeder - What do you think of this breeder? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this breeder?   breeder - What do you think of this breeder? - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 14, 2013 5:41 am

Using how much you've invested in a dog is not a representation of how much you love a dog nor how much you've cared for it.
Back to top Go down
histi
Teenager
Teenager
histi

Female Join date : 2013-12-10

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this breeder?   breeder - What do you think of this breeder? - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 14, 2013 5:43 am

Mobezilla wrote:
Using how much you've invested in a dog is not a representation of how much you love a dog nor how much you've cared for it.

Too right  Smile 

Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this breeder?   breeder - What do you think of this breeder? - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 14, 2013 6:09 am

I wasn't insinuating it did. I'm just pointing out that to many of us it doesn't matter the cost.

I'll never get any of the money back that I've put into my dogs. I'm fine with it because they deserve everything.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
histi
Teenager
Teenager
histi

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this breeder?   breeder - What do you think of this breeder? - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 14, 2013 7:21 am

I've missed something I think...
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this breeder?   breeder - What do you think of this breeder? - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 14, 2013 7:46 am

mbarnard0429 wrote:
I wasn't insinuating it did. I'm just pointing out that to many of us it doesn't matter the cost.

I'll never get any of the money back that I've put into my dogs. I'm fine with it because they deserve everything.

Ahh my apologies, it may not have seemed it but my post was actually aimed at the OP from their original statement that they weren't trying to make a quick buck since they had already spent $500 into the dog. That because they spent $500 on the dog.. it was proof they obviously cared for it? I too have spent a fair amount of money on my dogs, I've got more collars and leashes than more people can count and spent over $600 in vet bills on Link and I've only had him 6 months.. so I agree with the majority here.
Back to top Go down
AnyaLuv
Teenager
Teenager
AnyaLuv

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this breeder?   breeder - What do you think of this breeder? - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 14, 2013 8:11 pm

This thread squicks me out. My dog is my baby, and if I couldn't take proper care of her, cost would be my last concern.

and a second dog? You have to be joking. You'll have two underexercised, underrtrained dogs. And don't thik a Samoyed will be any easier. I have had both huskies and Sammy, and they are just as high energy. If anything though, they need even more people interaction or they go crazy. My current dogs life goal is to be with me all day every day.

rethink your position on rescues. You admit you can't handle exercising him in the cold. A rescue will have staff to give him the exercise and training he needs, and they have a much better chance finding him a home.

also, your breeder sounds pretty strange.... no self-respecting breeder would allow you to find a home on your own.... most would insist he come back to them, and they would handle it.

just sounds like a sad situation all around. I would do what's best for the dog, and get him to a breed rescue or shelter.
Back to top Go down
http://www.siberiansamoyed.com
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this breeder?   breeder - What do you think of this breeder? - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 14, 2013 8:54 pm

Elusive wrote:

arooroomom wrote:
If you don't end up finding him a home, selling him really sounds quite cold... And are "stuck with him" I really wouldn't suggest getting another. These are special dogs and you would probably end up with 2 dogs getting less than what they need. Double the trouble. They may have each other but if you find it hard with 1, it will be harder with 2 and I worry they will get less time than your current Sibe gets.

It's sounds a bit like you're accusing me of trying to make a quick buck off of him or something. That is not the case, and is actually quite hurtful considering I've put well over $500 into him within the first half year of owning him. I'm only considering selling him because that's what the breeder suggested that I do, but if the perfect home came along then I'd be happy to hand him over for free. Quite frankly, if they can't afford a tiny fee though, I'd doubt their ability to afford emergency vet bills.

No, all I said was that stating you want to "sell him" sounds cold, which it does. The dog needs to be adopted out into a home that can provide the exercise and activities that he needs. Adding a 2nd dog would be the worst possible thing to do.

It doesn't matter how much you've "put into" the dog. The fact is you cannot give this dog what it needs, and you need to find someone or a reputable rescue that can. Husky rescues pride themselves on placing these dogs "forever" and want the best for them. I really would suggest contacting them.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Elusive
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2013-10-16

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this breeder?   breeder - What do you think of this breeder? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 2:43 am

I wasn't using the money I've spent on him to prove how much I care, I was simply stating that if I was in it for the money, I'd have sold him before even putting that much in. In other words, I'd rather spend money on him than make it back, which I've been doing. I'm a 19 year old working a part time job that I hate. I haven't seen much of anything out of it because it all goes to his vet bills, food, toys, and chews. I'm pretty much working to keep this dog going.

You'll all be happy to know that I'm no longer considering another dog, though I wish that you'd all realized that I wasn't all that serious about it to begin with. I was only toying with the thought and exploring every option. I was curious about the breeder. Have been before I even got my current boy and I just wanted opinions on the breeder. I don't understand how this turned into a complete attack on the care of my dog, who I do love very much.

I have contacted a rescue, but they haven't gotten back to me. If you'd like to actually be helpful, some reputable rescue suggestions would be nice. I may still try to contact the breeder to see if she'll take him back, but I'm not sure. She insisted that she thought it'd be better for him to stay with me after everything that's gone on with him, but I'm not sure if she completely understood the situation at the time.

Back to top Go down
histi
Teenager
Teenager
histi

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this breeder?   breeder - What do you think of this breeder? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 2:49 am

Not everyone is attacking you... just some.. I just gave you some suggestions  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Elusive
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this breeder?   breeder - What do you think of this breeder? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 2:55 am

I know, I apologize. I didn't mean everyone. I'm actually very interested in your previous suggestion. I just feel like this whole topic went so... off, that I'm sorry I even posted it. I feel like a lot of dog owners now-a-days just like to judge people instead of actually helping them, especially when they don't know the whole situation(again, not anyone specifically, just in general). There was way more that went on personally, I'm just not about to post a big sob story about it, or that would be way immature. At this point, everyone has just about made me feel like the worst pet owner in the world and all I want to do is be rid of the dog so I can't stress him further.

To be honest, when I first took him in it was because I knew what condition he was in, and my first intention was to spend the money to get him fixed, de-wormed, and up-to-date on everything, and then give him away to the right family. I didn't want him. Now I'm wondering if I was being irresponsible for even doing so.
Back to top Go down
histi
Teenager
Teenager
histi

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this breeder?   breeder - What do you think of this breeder? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 3:06 am

Unfortunately with the net SOME people just take what is written at face value instead of fishing for more information to get a clearer idea what the person is trying to get across - and sometimes what is written can be taken in the wrong way, rather then the way it was intended.

Speaking from experience, I have missed the concept once and made a right arse of myself, and now I try to keep an open mind and fish for the information instead Smile

Also a lot of people here have strong opinions they are very passionate about, so sometimes they come across very forceful, but keep in mind they do have the best intentions at heart - for your dog Very Happy
Back to top Go down
histi
Teenager
Teenager
histi

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this breeder?   breeder - What do you think of this breeder? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 3:12 am

Oh, and you should be proud of asking for help, most people wouldn't in your situation, so you, my friend have got shiny balls in my opinion Very Happy (shiny balls is a saying here -NZ- that means... um... well... that you are ... heck ... awesome for what you have done - yeah that will do for now, might get back to you later after I think about it more...)
Back to top Go down
Elusive
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this breeder?   breeder - What do you think of this breeder? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 3:18 am

lol, thank you, that means a lot.

After checking the breeder's website again, I can see that she's extremely adamant about them not going to a shelter or rescue. I think if anything, I'm going to need to contact her again to see if she'll take him. I know that she would if I explained everything, but I just hope that she's willing to pay the shipping to get him back there. I can't afford to ship a dog right now. At least, not for another couple months.
Back to top Go down
histi
Teenager
Teenager
histi

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this breeder?   breeder - What do you think of this breeder? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 3:28 am

Is there really no one willing to re-home him? I'd take him ig I wasnt so far away.. but there are oceans between us lmao
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this breeder?   breeder - What do you think of this breeder? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 3:51 am

This breeder has no links to pedigrees and no mention of working or showing her dogs.

In my opinion, I don't see health testing as the end all be all of ethics. As I said, that is just my opinion.

No one was attacking you, but you have come to a place where many of us got stuck with dogs who have problems and live in pain all the time. I wish Delilah only cost me 500 in a year - it's off putting when someone complains about the cost of an animal...when many of us have it rough with health. Heck, there are many more who are worse off than me. I was just using Delilah as an example.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
AnyaLuv
Teenager
Teenager
AnyaLuv

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this breeder?   breeder - What do you think of this breeder? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 8:16 am

There are several husky rescues in New York.

Huskyhouse.org

Siberescue.org

tundraspirits.com

husky savers hskysavr@rochester.rr.com

second chance Siberian husky rescue. ruthh.sno-dog@juno.com

Back to top Go down
http://www.siberiansamoyed.com
Elusive
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this breeder?   breeder - What do you think of this breeder? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 10:40 am

mbarnard0429 wrote:
No one was attacking you, but you have come to a place where many of us got stuck with dogs who have problems and live in pain all the time. I wish Delilah only cost me 500 in a year - it's off putting when someone complains about the cost of an animal...when many of us have it rough with health. Heck, there are many more who are worse off than me. I was just using Delilah as an example.

I never complained about putting money into him. If you'd re-read my posts, I was simply stating that I wasn't trying to get money out of him, as some people were implying. I'm sorry that I ever mentioned a figure of numbers as far as how much I may have spent on vet bills.

AnyaLuv wrote:
There are several husky rescues in New York.

Huskyhouse.org

Siberescue.org

tundraspirits.com

husky savers          hskysavr@rochester.rr.com

second chance Siberian husky rescue.          ruthh.sno-dog@juno.com

Thank you, I'll look into those. Tundra Spirits was the one I contacted, but they won't answer to any emails. I'll have to try the others.
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this breeder?   breeder - What do you think of this breeder? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 11:14 am

Have you joined a local H2M2 (Husky huddle malamute mingle) on Facebook? I belong to two and see people posting Huskies ALL the time and many of the members have adopted dogs from there. If you do decide to join, try joining some out of state and maybe a transport could be arranged.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this breeder?   breeder - What do you think of this breeder? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 2:07 pm

Husky house is great! They are very active!

Check out their Facebook page.
Back to top Go down
Elusive
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this breeder?   breeder - What do you think of this breeder? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 3:16 pm

I didn't think about contacting people through Facebook... Thanks for the tip!
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this breeder?   breeder - What do you think of this breeder? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 4:08 pm

Where in NY are you? I will help rescue huskies and find homes. I'm in the capital region.

Please remember that all people know of you on this forum is what you put in your posts...what they see on this screen. That means you have to explain situations thoroughly and re-read what you post for clarity. Otherwise, it will be misinterpreted. We see a LOT of people come on here and many of have dogs that were quite literally tossed aside because the owners made a mistake. There's no sense in getting hurt over people's reactions and if you re-read what you wrote, you make many statements that are quite cold. While I understand and am sure that you love your dog very much, I can understand why people have said what they have said to you. Just something to consider.

If I can be of help, let me know. I would prefer you not to surrender to Tundra Spirits for personal reasons. I can explain more in a PM.

breeder - What do you think of this breeder? - Page 2 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Elusive
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this breeder?   breeder - What do you think of this breeder? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 7:46 pm

Koda wrote:
Please remember that all people know of you on this forum is what you put in your posts...what they see on this screen.  That means you have to explain situations thoroughly and re-read what you post for clarity.  Otherwise, it will be misinterpreted.  We see a LOT of people come on here and many of have dogs that were quite literally tossed aside because the owners made a mistake.  There's no sense in getting hurt over people's reactions and if you re-read what you wrote, you make many statements that are quite cold.  While I understand and am sure that you love your dog very much, I can understand why people have said what they have said to you.  Just something to consider.

I guess I just don't understand what it was that I said that was considered "cold", unless we're talking about the same few phrases that I already clarified and people are still not getting. For whatever it was that I said though, I apologize. There's a very different crowd of people here and I guess I just don't understand everything well enough. Back on the other forums I've been a part of, it's just considered common sense that there's more to everything than what you're seeing, and we take that into consideration before we jump to conclusions. I'll be happy to be out of everyone's hair once I get pointed in the right direction.

Koda wrote:
Where in NY are you?  I will help rescue huskies and find homes. I'm in the capital region.

If I can be of help, let me know.  I would prefer you not to surrender to Tundra Spirits for personal reasons.  I can explain more in a PM.

I'm near the Waterloo and Seneca Falls area. About 15 minutes out, but close.

Thank you for the heads up about that rescue. I'd love to know why, but either way, I trust your judgement and I'll steer clear of them. That's what I was most afraid of to be honest. Everyone was pushing me to throw my dog into a rescue when I have no idea which ones to trust, hence why I wasn't rushing to do so. So again, I appreciate the clarity. I'd love any more recommendations you have.

I would be interested if you knew of anyone, yes. I'd love any help I can get at this point. Though, I still think I'm going to try and send the breeder an email tonight and see about that first. If she'd still like me to find him a home myself, then I will. If she'd take him, then it'd mean 1 1/2 acres of fenced in play area with a bunch of other huskies to run with, until she could find him a more suitable home up there. It'd be like vacation for him.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this breeder?   breeder - What do you think of this breeder? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 9:01 pm

Perhaps you haven't been on a dog forum before? People deal with rescue dogs all the time. Rehoming and rescuing are hot botton topics because we see people adopt or purchase puppies without doing the proper amount of research on them. They end up getting in over their heads, blame it on the dog, and then rehome them. While there's no doubt in anyone's mind that you love your dog very much... it doesn't give the best impression and people will react to what they see.

And you may have clarified, and that's all well and good. That's why no one is continuing to harp on the same statements. But you used the words "stuck with him"... you said the only sledding dog you ever liked was a Samoyed and yet you are the owner of a husky... why did you get a husky if you didn't like them? You said that you weren't sure if you could keep up with your dog just yet... why did you get a dog if you weren't sure? Again... I'm not judging you. You've stated enough times how you care and I believe you. I'm just responding to your question as to what you said. You of course know your own intentions and thus the words you used don't seem to be out of the ordinary, but to us we don't know your intentions and thus only can react to what you say.

If you are interested, you can PM me as I said. I will not speak ill of a rescue on a public forum. I'll reach out to the people I know in those areas and see if someone is willing. A past forum member lives out that way that I still keep in touch with.

breeder - What do you think of this breeder? - Page 2 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Elusive
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this breeder?   breeder - What do you think of this breeder? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 16, 2013 1:02 am

Koda wrote:

And you may have clarified, and that's all well and good.  That's why no one is continuing to harp on the same statements.  But you used the words "stuck with him"... you said the only sledding dog you ever liked was a Samoyed and yet you are the owner of a husky... why did you get a husky if you didn't like them?  You said that you weren't sure if you could keep up with your dog just yet... why did you get a dog if you weren't sure?

Ah, I guess I see your point. What I meant was, well, I didn't really just go out looking for a husky. I know my dog breeds and I knew that I couldn't handle a husky even if I wanted to. I could do it just fine if I had my own home and could modify it accordingly, but due to living with parents, along with their spoiled dogs, in a single wide trailer... it's complicated. I took him in with the intention of getting him back on his feet as far as health went and then re-homing him. The problem was, my parents, who know nothing about dogs, decided that they though he was cute and told me that if I wasn't keeping him, they were. I tried to tell them how much danger my cat would be in and what he could potentially do to their house, but they didn't listen. Thing is, if they kept him, that pretty much meant that I would be doing all of the work anyway. They'd complain to me about everything and make me raise him just like I did their other dog, but they'd neglect everything else. I didn't have the heart to let them take control(to them a good dog is supposed to sleep 24/7), so I did the best I could with what I had. At first, he was getting hour long walks each day, plus a run with the ATV until he didn't want to go anymore. Months down the road, my parents finally realized that he was a monster in the house and discarded the idea and pretty much told me I could get rid of him if I wanted to. At this point I was really attached and had devoted a ton of time into him. For the past few months I've been really undecided as to what to do. I'm scared that there's just something I'm missing that could make it all work and that if I get rid of him I'll miss it, but if I don't get re-home him he'll be the one struggling while I try to figure it out. I've gotten to a point where I don't want to make him wait anymore. So that's why I'm here, and I hope it makes more sense as to why I'm so conflicted. I just wish that I could have done a better job with his training before passing him on.

Most of all, I'm going to miss having a dog to bring places and go walking with. I truly enjoyed working with him, but I hate leaving him with nothing to do in the winter. I wish there was some kind of winter gear to make the Raynauds bearable, but I haven't found anything yet. sadly, after this, I don't think I'd have the heart to ever take a dog again. I feel like I'd screw up again.

Okay, that was the most useless rant ever, sorry. I feel like I needed to explain. Thank you though, if the breeder will help me in shipping him back, then that's what I'll do. But if not, you'll be the first person I contact. Smile
Back to top Go down
histi
Teenager
Teenager
histi

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this breeder?   breeder - What do you think of this breeder? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 16, 2013 1:18 am

That wasn't a useless rant, that was probably what some of the people here needed to know in the first place. Well done  Wink 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of this breeder?   breeder - What do you think of this breeder? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

What do you think of this breeder?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next