It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Kuma won't stop pooping inside!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bilbog
Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2013-08-21

Kuma won't stop pooping inside! Empty
PostSubject: Kuma won't stop pooping inside!   Kuma won't stop pooping inside! EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 1:12 am

So we have had Kuma, our husky for a little over 3 months now. We got him to stop peeing inside very quickly, however pooping is a whole other issue. He will poop outside maybe once every 2-3 days. We have tried tethering, if we can see him he won't go. We tried the kennel method, we take him outside. he poops he gets freedom, if he doesn't we put him in the kennel a few minutes. Then try again, repeat, again and again and again. Doesn't work. He will just poop in the kennel. If we take our German Shepherd (she is an angel) outside first, he will just go on the floor during the 2-3 minutes we are gone. He will only go poop if i take him outside, if my girlfreind takes him, he won't go. She is with him 24/7 and i work. We have to take him first now. Sometimes he will actually do good for a few days, then we go in the bedroom and use the computer...come into the living room and he pooped. He eats Nutro ultra dog food. I heard mostly good things about it and our dog trainer suggested we try it. He was on Iams before that and they were both poop machines so we made the switch. Anyway that is bunch of babble, sorry. I am just very frustrated at the moment.
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Kuma won't stop pooping inside!   Kuma won't stop pooping inside! EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 10:51 am

How many times a day and how much are you feeding him? Usually you can figure out when they'll have to poop based on when they are fed. Remember, what goes in must come out. When he poops outside, do you treat him? Praise him? Do anything to make him feel good about it? How big is the kennel that he is able to poop in it? To be honest, I wouldn't leave him alone on his own until he's got this worked out, seeing as how he'll go in the house when you aren't looking.
Back to top Go down
Bilbog
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Kuma won't stop pooping inside!   Kuma won't stop pooping inside! EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 12:43 pm

We feed him 1-2 a day. I try to always take a treat to give him in case he goes. I do forget sometimes. I always praise him lots and we sometimes go for walks/jogs when he goes. His kennel is 36x23 i think. I'm pretty sure that is the size we have. I am at work 10 hours a day so i'm not around that much, but my other half is having a lot of issues with him. If we take him outside and he won't go, he'll just poop in the kennel and lay in it..My lady thinks he just doesn't care. I end up bathing him quite often because of this.

Last edited by Bilbog on Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

PostSubject: Re: Kuma won't stop pooping inside!   Kuma won't stop pooping inside! EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 2:09 pm

3 cups a day is a lot of food for a husky, I don't even feed my one year old female that. That could be part of the problem. How long does she stay outside with him to get him to poop? And does he have a certain spot in the yard that you have made his potty spot? With my lab puppy, I have found she likes to poop in a certain area of the yard. Have you noticed a pattern of when he has to poop. Some pups poop half an hour after they eat but others will hold it longer.
Back to top Go down
Bilbog
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Kuma won't stop pooping inside!   Kuma won't stop pooping inside! EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 2:15 pm

She will stay out there with him for 7-10 minutes sometimes. Usually 5. He is a year old and that's what the Bag suggests, what amount do you recommend? There is only 1 spot he will poop in, ever. I showed it to her but he won't go when she takes him. We try to take them out 30-45 minutes after they eat/drink. Shepherd does great with that time frame, and she is half his age. I am wondering if he has some sort of a phobia of pooping outside. Is that common?
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

PostSubject: Re: Kuma won't stop pooping inside!   Kuma won't stop pooping inside! EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 2:24 pm

Not that I've ever heard of. I only feed my husky about a cup and 3/4 a day...she was getting 2 1/2 but wasn't eating all of her food so I cut it back and she's doing great. She poops twice a day, because I feed her twice a day. Is he more likely to poop on a walk? I have found that going for a walk stimulates my girl to poop. It also sounds like he doesn't see her as someone he should obey, I would see about having her start feeding him every meal and only letting her take him out so that he learns good things come from her too. Also, what brand of food are you feeding him?
Back to top Go down
Bilbog
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Kuma won't stop pooping inside!   Kuma won't stop pooping inside! EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 2:41 pm

I misunderstood what my girlfriend said, he eats 1-2 a day, not per feeding. And i don't hardly ever feed him besides on the weekends, i work an awkward shift and i'm asleep when they eat in the morning and at work when they eat dinner. I just tried taking him for a 10 minute walk prior to posting this, and nothing. We feed them Nutro Ultra Puppy. Our trainer suggested we try it since the Iams had them pooping nonstop.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Kuma won't stop pooping inside!   Kuma won't stop pooping inside! EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 3:04 pm

I would suggest the canidae grain free line. I noticed a reduction in the amount my pup goes when I switched him over to that.
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Kuma won't stop pooping inside!   Kuma won't stop pooping inside! EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 3:30 pm

I agree with Jen. I had problems with both of my puppies and when I got the food aspect under control, it just stopped, a lot of huskies can't eat grains. When I started feeding Orijen everything got better, and now my dogs have perfect poops and neither go in the house, like they use too. The food could be the major problem with him, are his poops solid every time he goes in the house?

I probably tried 6 different brands, before I finally found one that worked for my huskies systems!
Back to top Go down
Bilbog
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Kuma won't stop pooping inside!   Kuma won't stop pooping inside! EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 3:58 pm

Well, i JUST bought another bag of the Nutro Ultra Puppy, haven't opened it yet. I will take it back and try a different brand. Are there any things i should look for in particular? No grains i see is one to look for, any others?

EDIT: I checked the bag, it is grain free. What other things should i look for? And any other suggestions if i am to try a new food?
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Kuma won't stop pooping inside!   Kuma won't stop pooping inside! EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 4:13 pm

Well, it's kind of a trial and error thing, but from my experience Merrick brand foods increased the amount and frequency of my puppies poops, whereas Canidae (pure sky) reduced it. Taste of the wild was okay, but I didn't notice much either way.
Back to top Go down
Kichu
Newborn
Newborn
Kichu

Female Join date : 2013-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Kuma won't stop pooping inside!   Kuma won't stop pooping inside! EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 4:43 pm

Hey this is the girlfriend! Kuma's other owner.

I usually feed him 1 cup of food around 10 in the morning, he almost always eats the full cup, and I feed him another cup around 9 or so at night and he just picks at it and will eat about half, sometimes more sometimes less. He poops twice a day, usually within 15-45 minutes of eating. Both of our dogs had Giardia a week ago and they were both having diarrhea all over the house, but they are over it now and our Shepherd does fine while Kuma will just poop whenever he feels like it. He did this even before the Giardia. His poop is always solid now.

I feed him every meal during the week, and my bf will feed him sometimes on the weekend, but he just refuses to go to the bathroom with me when I take him out, he will only go for Anthony. He has to take him out every morning, and I try to take him out after dinner but he just won't go. I take him out first, and I'll stand out there 5-10 minutes in his "spot" but he won't go. So I take him back inside with the intent to take him out again after the Shepherd. Our shepherd instantly goes when we take her, so we're out there no longer than 2 minutes, come back in and there's usually poop on the living room floor. Sometimes I'll put him in the kennel when I take the shepherd out so he won't go on the floor and take him out again, he still won't go so I'll let him off the leash in the house. If I just turn around to go into the kitchen, or even just go to the bathroom, he will instantly poop on the floor.

I feel bad, I don't want him to be in the kennel all day so I let him out, but the second I turn my back he starts pooping. A couple days I did leave him in there all day to make sure he wouldn't go on the floor, thinking that if I got him to go outside I'd let him out and he'd finally realize that if he goes outside he gets freedom! But he just poops in the kennel, he doesn't care. He won't whine, howl, make any noise at all, I just start smelling poop, look over, and he's laying in his own waste.

I know that's kind of a jumbled mess, I kept thinking of new things to add. Sorry if it's hard to read!
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Kuma won't stop pooping inside!   Kuma won't stop pooping inside! EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 4:54 pm

Just out of curiosity, could you take him out at the same time as the shepherd? Maybe he'll get some inspiration. Lol. For whatever reason, I notice that when I'm walking Dizzy, if he smells another dogs poop and he hasn't gone yet, he'll go within a few minutes. I know it sounds stupid, but it works for him for some reason. Rolling Eyes 
Back to top Go down
Kichu
Newborn
Newborn
Kichu

Female Join date : 2013-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Kuma won't stop pooping inside!   Kuma won't stop pooping inside! EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 4:57 pm

I can't take them both out at the same time. D: All they want to do is play! They act like they've never seen each other in their whole life! We can't even both be out there at the same time or they will just want to run to whoever isn't holding their leash.

Silly dogs.. lol
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Kuma won't stop pooping inside!   Kuma won't stop pooping inside! EmptyTue Oct 29, 2013 12:43 pm

I have no idea about if it works for pooping but you could always try that training spray, that "makes" dogs go where you want him to. It might inspire him to start going where you want him to in the yard, and then if he does go absolutely crazy, and give him lots of treats so he knows that you are so happy with what he did. It could work, other than that I have no idea!
Back to top Go down
techigirl78
Adult
Adult
techigirl78

Female Join date : 2013-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Kuma won't stop pooping inside!   Kuma won't stop pooping inside! EmptyTue Oct 29, 2013 10:16 pm

Loki eats 3 cups a day and still waits to see if my other dogs leave scraps.

Does kuma go right back inside after he goes? If yes, I think that could be issue. Make outside time really boring until he goes. Just stand by his spot ignoring him. Then, take him on a walk or play after he goes. Basically no fun if he does not go and the best time ever if he does go.
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

PostSubject: Re: Kuma won't stop pooping inside!   Kuma won't stop pooping inside! EmptyTue Oct 29, 2013 10:47 pm

It sounds like he just doesn't want to go outside for you...weird. Are you able to take him for a walk instead? I have found that walking usually promotes pooping.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kuma won't stop pooping inside!   Kuma won't stop pooping inside! Empty

Back to top Go down

Kuma won't stop pooping inside!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1