It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

is it weird to already be planning for #2?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ccurran07
Teenager
Teenager
ccurran07

Female Join date : 2013-07-21

is it weird to already be planning for  #2? Empty
PostSubject: is it weird to already be planning for #2?   is it weird to already be planning for  #2? EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 8:25 pm

Since I've been immersing myself in all things sibe, I'm already planning the second pup in my head lol. What is wrong with this picture!? I brought it up to the man in casual conversation about wanting a red for my next and he was basically like,"uh no"... anyway, I was stalking breeder pages and fell in love with these dogs: http://vanacasiberians.com/our-dogs.html

Now, I don't want anyone to misunderstand and get all crazy thinking I'm going to rush right out and get another puppy. Two kids and two pups is not my idea of fun. It will be at least two years before another pup.

What kennel is on your dream list to get a pup from? Karnovanda is definitely one of mine.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: is it weird to already be planning for #2?   is it weird to already be planning for  #2? EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 9:49 pm

Haha I have a huge list of breeders I eventually want dogs from, but right now 3 is MORE then enough lol..

Sidra
Karnovanda
JoKar

those are my top 3 right now
Back to top Go down
ccurran07
Teenager
Teenager
ccurran07

PostSubject: Re: is it weird to already be planning for #2?   is it weird to already be planning for  #2? EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 9:58 pm

ohhh.. JoKar I love you 
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: is it weird to already be planning for #2?   is it weird to already be planning for  #2? EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 9:58 pm

Uh, yeah. I'm planning for #4 and #5 as soon as I have a house with a yard.

Possibly Kennedy Sled Dogs (I'm in love with Husker from the current litter but can't have another yet)
Karnovanda (loving those temperaments)

Last edited by Mobezilla on Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

Female Join date : 2013-03-29

PostSubject: Re: is it weird to already be planning for #2?   is it weird to already be planning for  #2? EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 10:08 pm

Journey hasn't even come home to live with us yet and I'm already plotting a third ( year or two down the road). They are addictive.
Back to top Go down
ccurran07
Teenager
Teenager
ccurran07

PostSubject: Re: is it weird to already be planning for #2?   is it weird to already be planning for  #2? EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 10:14 pm

Mobezilla wrote:

Perhaps Kennedy Sled Dogs (I'm in love with Husker from the current litter but can't have another yet)

Yay Kennedy!! lol I'm going to visit my pup on Tuesday and cannot wait to see the current little ones!
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: is it weird to already be planning for #2?   is it weird to already be planning for  #2? EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 10:41 pm

The thing that I don't like about Kennedy (and please, nobody take offense to this); I don't like when you get your puppy based on your deposit.

I believe that you should get the dog with the personality that will mesh most with your lifestyle, activity level, and most importantly, your OTHER dogs' personalities. Sometimes, people get lucky with their "pick"; but sometimes, it can be bad. I personally will never buy from a breeder that doesn't personality test. Not only do I think it defines a breeder, I could not bring any 'ol dog into my house with Sheba here. She is VERY picky about the types of dogs she will accept into the house. I babysat a friends Am. Bulldog and they hated each other. They would have fought till the death if there wasn't more then 2 people there. For three days, I had to crate and rotate the two of them. Imagine if that was a puppy that I had just bought for my very own... I'd have to give that puppy up! I don't understand why breeders DON'T personality test, honestly.

I don't like to define breeders based on what they do and do not do; some breeders who are very renowned and very well known in their breed that don't do contracts. I'm not entirely sure what I think about that, but I do know what I think about temperament testing.

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but I've been wanting to say that for a long time LOL. I do love the look of their dogs, I really, really do. I wish everyone who buys from them on this forum a long, happy life with their new puppies. But they are not a breeder I would buy from.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
ccurran07
Teenager
Teenager
ccurran07

PostSubject: Re: is it weird to already be planning for #2?   is it weird to already be planning for  #2? EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 10:51 pm

I didn't get to pick my dog based on my deposit. She takes preferences into consideration, but I put a deposit down long before I knew who I would be getting. There was a difference between the two litters though, in the sense that the first was mostly females (she kept one) and the second was mostly males (again with her keeping a female) so once her selections were made, then she went back to people who had voiced particular preferences with pups.

She's new to the game, so I'm sure that her process may change a little down the road as she gets more experience.

I asked her in the beginning about temperament testing and what I was looking for in a pup, we talked about it back and forth for awhile. Honestly if my "first choice" look wise was not what she or I thought would do well, then I would choose another.

I get what your saying though. Time will tell with her next round of breeding, I think. I have nothing but a positive experience so far, so fingers crossed lol
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: is it weird to already be planning for #2?   is it weird to already be planning for  #2? EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 10:52 pm

Sheba&Kennedy wrote:
The thing that I don't like about Kennedy (and please, nobody take offense to this); I don't like when you get your puppy based on your deposit.
No worries, you're entitled to your opinion. I personally am looking for racing-line and love the piebald coloring. Although I am hoping to put down a deposit way beforehand and ask her to let me choose first pick (after her own pick obviously). I personally would like to meet their temperaments myself, but with my pups temperament I don't think anything will be any issue unless its a dominant female which is why I'm leaning towards another male anyway.
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

PostSubject: Re: is it weird to already be planning for #2?   is it weird to already be planning for  #2? EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 10:55 pm

ccurran07 wrote:
I didn't get to pick my dog based on my deposit. She takes preferences into consideration, but I put a deposit down long before I knew who I would be getting. There was a difference between the two litters though, in the sense that the first was mostly females (she kept one) and the second was mostly males (again with her keeping a female) so once her selections were made, then she went back to people who had voiced particular preferences with pups.

She's new to the game, so I'm sure that her process may change a little down the road as she gets more experience.

I asked her in the beginning about temperament testing and what I was looking for in a pup, we talked about it back and forth for awhile. Honestly if my "first choice" look wise was not what she or I thought would do well, then I would choose another.

I get what your saying though. Time will tell with her next round of breeding, I think. I have nothing but a positive experience so far, so fingers crossed lol
I guess deposit order wasn't the correct wording. It was AMB's post where he said he wanted Dash or a blk/wht male and that's what he got; Dash. What if Dash isn't the best pic for him when Dash turns 8 weeks? By the way, not trying to call you out AMB, that's just the example I am using! Smile 

I'm glad everything has been positive and I hope it continues to be that way!!
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

PostSubject: Re: is it weird to already be planning for #2?   is it weird to already be planning for  #2? EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 10:58 pm

Mobezilla wrote:

Sheba&Kennedy wrote:
No worries, you're entitled to your opinion. I personally am looking for racing-line and love the piebald coloring. Although I am hoping to put down a deposit way beforehand and ask her to let me choose first pick (after her own pick obviously). I personally would like to meet their temperaments myself, but with my pups temperament I don't think anything will be any issue unless its a dominant female which is why I'm leaning towards another male anyway.
I like racing line as well; I REALLY like the dogs that Lani got Mason and her new pup from. Truth be told, we only get a little bit of a taste of what breeders are out there from this forum. Never heard of Kennedy until someone posted about them; never heard of Jill Wilson's dogs until Lani. I definitely still have a very open mind when it comes to breeders; we just all have things we prefer in a breeder!
Back to top Go down
ccurran07
Teenager
Teenager
ccurran07

PostSubject: Re: is it weird to already be planning for #2?   is it weird to already be planning for  #2? EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 11:00 pm

Ok, gotcha. Yeah,I'm guessing she allowed that because of the fact that litter is very male heavy, so she's trying to accommodate. You're right, what happens if by 6 weeks he's a terror lol. I'm glad that I had to wait longer and so she knew more about the pups before I got to know which one I was getting. She waited because she wanted to see which female she wanted out of the 5.

Curious to know if Aidan will be locked into Dash if he decided to change his mind!?
Back to top Go down
ccurran07
Teenager
Teenager
ccurran07

PostSubject: Re: is it weird to already be planning for #2?   is it weird to already be planning for  #2? EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 11:11 pm

Sheba&Kennedy wrote:

I like racing line as well; I REALLY like the dogs that Lani got Mason and her new pup from. Truth be told, we only get a little bit of a taste of what breeders are out there from this forum. Never heard of Kennedy until someone posted about them; never heard of Jill Wilson's dogs until Lani. I definitely still have a very open mind when it comes to breeders; we just all have things we prefer in a breeder!
So true about the number of breeders. Not to mention those who don't have websites. Do you know of the top of your head who the breeder Lani got the pups from? I'm too lazy to go searching hahaha!
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

PostSubject: Re: is it weird to already be planning for #2?   is it weird to already be planning for  #2? EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 11:14 pm

She got the girls from Galena Creek if I'm not mistaken; but I was talking about the racing dogs she just got, Weaver. He's from Karen something.. Can't remember her last night! I've got to creep on FB for a minute lol!!! He is GORGEOUS and I love his look.
Back to top Go down
ccurran07
Teenager
Teenager
ccurran07

PostSubject: Re: is it weird to already be planning for #2?   is it weird to already be planning for  #2? EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 11:16 pm

ohhh...is it the one she posted on the For the Love of Breed FB page?
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

PostSubject: Re: is it weird to already be planning for #2?   is it weird to already be planning for  #2? EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 11:18 pm

YES. I'm the one that told her to get me one too LOL!! I'm actually getting educated there right meow as we speak.

My basis for temperament testing is largely due to my first breed; Standard Poodles. With Spoos, temperament testing has been preached to the moon and back. So, maybe temperament testing is more important for certain breeds?? I still am not sure if I would feel comfortable with getting a dog not being tested, but my mind is being opened a little bit more!
Back to top Go down
ccurran07
Teenager
Teenager
ccurran07

PostSubject: Re: is it weird to already be planning for #2?   is it weird to already be planning for  #2? EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 11:22 pm

If it is something that is a concern for you, then absolutely you are justified in thinking that. I met all of her dogs before placing a deposit, met with her, emailed for months. Both Roxanne and Trigger were solid temperament wise, so I just don't think she is concerned that they won't turn out that way.

I don't know anything about Spoos so, I'll take your word on that lol
Back to top Go down
ccurran07
Teenager
Teenager
ccurran07

PostSubject: Re: is it weird to already be planning for #2?   is it weird to already be planning for  #2? EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 11:26 pm

http://www.tumnatkisiberians.com/
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

PostSubject: Re: is it weird to already be planning for #2?   is it weird to already be planning for  #2? EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 11:28 pm

ccurran07 wrote:
http://www.tumnatkisiberians.com/
Look at you go!! Wink 

THEY ARE SO PRETTY!
Back to top Go down
ccurran07
Teenager
Teenager
ccurran07

PostSubject: Re: is it weird to already be planning for #2?   is it weird to already be planning for  #2? EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 11:30 pm

they are! I love Comet
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

Female Join date : 2013-09-24

PostSubject: Re: is it weird to already be planning for #2?   is it weird to already be planning for  #2? EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 11:35 pm

Cortnie, you're not alone in already planning for No. 2. My husband and I already have planned that we would eventually like to have a small recreational sled team of three, the next being a gray or wolf-gray male named Timber and the third being a red or copper (either male or female). As you said, it would be quite some time before the next one comes, though, since one pup is enough to handle, and we are thinking about having a child eventually, so that would just add to the craziness!

While I love working with Rachel at Kennedy and I absolutely adore all her dogs, I feel I would be remiss if my next Sibe weren't a young rescue (one year or less). With all the volunteering I've done with dogs at shelters, I know how important rescue is, and I would love the opportunity to give a Sibe another chance at a happy forever home. I'm also thinking about the possibility of fostering for Patriot Siberian Husky Rescue at some point once Layla's a little older.

Any rate, you're definitely not alone. Perhaps we will rescue our second and get a puppy for our third. In that case, there are several great breeders I would like to work with in New England:

- Kennedy (again)
- Sibersong Sleddogs (Arrow came from here)
- Kryska Siberians (Roxanne)
- Kiana Siberians (Trigger came from here -- I almost got a female pup from Corina about a month ago but someone else beat me to her)
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

Female Join date : 2013-09-24

PostSubject: Re: is it weird to already be planning for #2?   is it weird to already be planning for  #2? EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 11:41 pm

Mobezilla wrote:

Possibly Kennedy Sled Dogs (I'm in love with Husker from the current litter but can't have another yet, and I need to do more research on if they have OFA/CERF)
Kennedy does clear eyes and hips (OFA and SHOR, I think?). She lists the certificate numbers for each dog (both eyes and hips) on her Web site.
Back to top Go down
ccurran07
Teenager
Teenager
ccurran07

PostSubject: Re: is it weird to already be planning for #2?   is it weird to already be planning for  #2? EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 11:42 pm

Liz, Corina's dogs are beautiful too! She's got a litter due in November and I know I am going to want one Wink Nando is also another New England breeder, but I don't believe they are racing lines. Another member her got her pup (Dizzy) through them I think.

I agree with adopting one too at some point. I just know I'm going to wind up with 3-5 dogs lol
Back to top Go down
ccurran07
Teenager
Teenager
ccurran07

PostSubject: Re: is it weird to already be planning for #2?   is it weird to already be planning for  #2? EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 11:45 pm

capellalayla wrote:

Mobezilla wrote:

Possibly Kennedy Sled Dogs (I'm in love with Husker from the current litter but can't have another yet, and I need to do more research on if they have OFA/CERF)
Kennedy does clear eyes and hips (OFA and SHOR, I think?). She lists the certificate numbers for each dog (both eyes and hips) on her Web site.

Megan- certificate numbers are listed under the individual dog's pages

Last edited by ccurran07 on Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: is it weird to already be planning for #2?   is it weird to already be planning for  #2? EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 11:51 pm

capellalayla wrote:
Ah thank you. I thought I looked and couldn't find them, but then again I look at a ton of breeder pages.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: is it weird to already be planning for #2?   is it weird to already be planning for  #2? Empty

Back to top Go down

is it weird to already be planning for #2?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next