It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Another Long coat / wooly question

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mterkawi
Newborn
Newborn
Mterkawi

Male Join date : 2013-08-30

Another Long coat / wooly question Empty
PostSubject: Another Long coat / wooly question   Another Long coat / wooly question EmptySat Aug 31, 2013 12:54 am

So I found this community today after adopting a husky from the Humane Society. Growing up I had 3 Samoyed's and a Husky, so I knew I was gonna have my hands full and we finally have the large fenced yard which helps too. Well we found our girl "Cayenne" and they weren't sure if she was mixed. She tips the scale at 43lbs and has beautiful blue eyes, they estimate her at 5 years old. But she has very long hair, and im just kinda looking for some opinions from some folks with more experience then me. Is she a Long coat or Wooly? or maybe a mix with...??? I will post more pics tomorrow but here's one for now. I should say that im not overly concerned either way, just curious. Thank you!!!
Another Long coat / wooly question 64445_12
Back to top Go down
JillC
Teenager
Teenager
JillC

Female Join date : 2011-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Another Long coat / wooly question   Another Long coat / wooly question EmptySat Aug 31, 2013 12:59 am

She's beautiful! Looks like a wooly to me and at 43lbs she's in the standard weight for a female sibe. I don't see a mix. Enjoy her Smile
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Another Long coat / wooly question   Another Long coat / wooly question EmptySat Aug 31, 2013 1:22 am

She certainly looks all Siberian, just woolie coated.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
amychuke
Teenager
Teenager
amychuke

Female Join date : 2013-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Another Long coat / wooly question   Another Long coat / wooly question EmptySat Aug 31, 2013 1:22 am

Agree, she looks woolly but omg she is very pretty!!!! I honestly love woollys I dont care if they are out of breed standard they are awesome!!! Enjoy!!!!
Back to top Go down
Mterkawi
Newborn
Newborn
Mterkawi

PostSubject: Re: Another Long coat / wooly question   Another Long coat / wooly question EmptySat Aug 31, 2013 11:23 am

Found this ad this morning on craigslist   http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/for/3969019749.html  which is sad becuase that means she bounced around for a month. At least she ended up with me but this is still sad.
Back to top Go down
lillith87
Senior
Senior
lillith87

Female Join date : 2013-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Another Long coat / wooly question   Another Long coat / wooly question EmptySat Aug 31, 2013 11:38 am

The vet estimated her at 5, but the Craigslist ad says she is 8.... scratch 

Very pretty husky, I am glad she has a home now! Smile
Back to top Go down
JillC
Teenager
Teenager
JillC

Female Join date : 2011-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Another Long coat / wooly question   Another Long coat / wooly question EmptySat Aug 31, 2013 11:43 am

I'd say she's lucky to have found you! It's so sad to see these ads where it's like nothing for people to just let a member of their family go. Poor girl. She sounds like a wonderful dog. How is she adjusting in your home?
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Another Long coat / wooly question   Another Long coat / wooly question EmptySat Aug 31, 2013 5:44 pm

Beautiful dog.. she has a woolie coat. So glad you adopted her and will give her a good home..

Back to top Go down
techigirl78
Adult
Adult
techigirl78

Female Join date : 2013-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Another Long coat / wooly question   Another Long coat / wooly question EmptySat Aug 31, 2013 8:24 pm

Very pretty dog. Kind of interesting you found the ad.
Back to top Go down
Mterkawi
Newborn
Newborn
Mterkawi

PostSubject: Re: Another Long coat / wooly question   Another Long coat / wooly question EmptySun Sep 01, 2013 12:00 am

She is doing great, getting along with our Mini dash "pickles" and our cat "olive" (we have a thing for naming our critters after food, lol), and our kids are loving her. I do have a question though, today we went to the beach and I wanted to take her but its around 90 degrees and we were going for 4-5 hours. I wasnt sure she would be able to stay cool even in the shade. I know their coat protects the from heat too but is that something I should worry about?  Another Long coat / wooly question 11508610
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Another Long coat / wooly question   Another Long coat / wooly question EmptySun Sep 01, 2013 11:07 am

Usually as long as they have access to shade and fresh, cool water, they do pretty well at the beach. Even letting her in the water helps cool them off. If you noticed her getting too overheated, then I would say it was time to go.

VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Another Long coat / wooly question   Another Long coat / wooly question EmptySun Sep 01, 2013 1:51 pm

She should be fine as long as you have access to fresh water or shade. She does look like a full Siberian Husky, but with the recessive wooly gene. It is very pretty!

She will not shed as much as a regular short-coated husky, but she will still have 'blow-outs' every year. Her coat is high maintenance and will require frequent brushing to avoid mats (I would say at least once a week). Smile My local rescue has a soft spot for woolies, so we always end up pulling them!

Thank woo for rescuing. <3
Back to top Go down
Ashley&Kaia
Puppy
Puppy
Ashley&Kaia

Female Join date : 2010-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Another Long coat / wooly question   Another Long coat / wooly question EmptyFri Sep 06, 2013 10:51 pm

Yanno what's funny...I was just on Pinterest and of course put in huskies into the search bar...and up comes "kaityjane photo" and there's a pic of a husky who I recognized from the forum...you're new girl cayenne. Apparently this photographer had taken pics of all the adoptable dogs. I had to come back and find this post to see if you were from Jacksonville to see if it was actually the same dog lol.
Back to top Go down
Juno's Dad
Puppy
Puppy
Juno's Dad

Female Join date : 2011-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Another Long coat / wooly question   Another Long coat / wooly question EmptySun Sep 08, 2013 12:22 am

She's gorgeous--and lucky to have found a home with you.  Smile
Back to top Go down
Hughie
Adult
Adult
Hughie

PostSubject: Re: Another Long coat / wooly question   Another Long coat / wooly question EmptySun Sep 08, 2013 11:14 am

Everyone has said cute, I think I'm going to say "Snuggle y". May I suggest a search of McKenzie River Husky's, they seem to be a more woolly coated part of the breed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another Long coat / wooly question   Another Long coat / wooly question Empty

Back to top Go down

Another Long coat / wooly question

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1