It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Backyard Breeder Blues :(

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mikkan77
Newborn
Newborn
mikkan77

Female Join date : 2010-08-30

Backyard Breeder Blues :( Empty
PostSubject: Backyard Breeder Blues :(   Backyard Breeder Blues :( EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 5:48 pm

I was really excited about a local breeder I had found. He only has 10 Sibes but owns 150 acres and only lives about 30-40mins away from me. I was getting ready to arrange a meeting to make sure everything checked out, and the dogs were well kept when I decided to send him an email asking him a few questions about himself and his dogs, using Koda's guideline from another thread. I thought it would save time if I knew all of those answers before hand and then I could just really focus on checking the place out.

Turns out I don't even have to bother going there. This guy is as backyard as they come. Here was his response:

"Hi Jessica,
I don't register the puppies, but they are purebred. I can get them vet checked but you'd have to pay for that. My adults haven't been x-rayed for hip problems or checked for their eyes, but I've never had any problems in 20 years.
I breed huskies because I love the breed, and am planning on getting into dogsleding.
For more questions feel free to call me "

Oh and he charges $750 for these 'purebred' non-vet checked pups and has multiple litters of them a year. Not to mention he avoided answering if he would stand by their health and give me a written health guarantee.

Looks like I'm back to the drawing board Sad Sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Backyard Breeder Blues :(   Backyard Breeder Blues :( EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 5:52 pm

Wow... no tests, no vet care, no nothing? That 750 is pure pocket change for him!
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Backyard Breeder Blues :(   Backyard Breeder Blues :( EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 5:57 pm

That really really sucks, and I'm sorry, but good for you for checking things out first! That makes me so happy that we could help. Keep at it, okay? You'll find a good breeder out there soon! Remember- some of the most reputable ones may be further away and you might have to pay for shipping, but they'd be worth it. If you get to that point and are interested, I could PM you the names of a couple. But keep looking near you.

Kudos to you and your research. It WILL pay off! Very Happy

Backyard Breeder Blues :( Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Backyard Breeder Blues :(   Backyard Breeder Blues :( EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 6:37 pm

I can't even say how happy it makes me to see that you're doing your research and taking your time to do the responsible thing. Most people get all emotional and excited that they go ahead and take pups from irresponsible breeders even though they know they are supporting a BYB purely because they don't want to wait or already "fell in love" with a pup.

As Tori said, mega kudos to you and your patience will be rewarded!

Newborn
Newborn
mikkan77

PostSubject: Re: Backyard Breeder Blues :(   Backyard Breeder Blues :( EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 4:09 am

There is another breeder that I've been talking to that is about 5 hours away from where I live. They seem pretty good, and without me even asking them any questions from Koda's list, they answered them on their own accord and 100% check out. Not to mention they themselves told me what to look for in a reputable breeder in case I decided not to go with them, and even gave me some links to husky rescue societies in B.C Smile

This is their website: http://www.snowpacksiberians.com/

Their pack is absolutely GORGEOUS, so no matter the pairing I know I'll end up with a gorgeous pup.

The only unfortunate part is that my boyfriend and I are moving soon, and they wont even put me on a wait list until I send them pictures of the house/yard to make sure it's suitable for one of their SIbes.

So now the waiting game begins, and hopefully they wont discriminate against me because I'm a renter No
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Backyard Breeder Blues :(   Backyard Breeder Blues :( EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 1:06 pm

That breeder looks pretty darn good! I would definitely go out and meet them Smile I think it's a good sign that they want to know about your next place, but I understand that it sucks to have to wait longer to be put on a waiting list!

I would try going out and meeting them anyway. Sometimes meeting people might change their minds when they realize how serious you are. I guarantee you that their reasoning is that so many people move and surrender their dogs because they can't find a place or end up in a situation where they can't keep them. Meet them, talk to them, tell them your plans, etc. You never know Smile

When are you moving?

Btw- just more kudos to you. This thread makes me so happy Smile We too often hear the horror stories of impatient people, it's great to see someone doing it the educated and mature way Smile Glad to have you here!

Backyard Breeder Blues :( Hailey10
Back to top Go down
mikkan77
Newborn
Newborn
mikkan77

PostSubject: Re: Backyard Breeder Blues :(   Backyard Breeder Blues :( EmptyThu Sep 16, 2010 12:53 pm

Hey Koda,

We're moving mid-November, when our lease is up. There are tons of reasonably priced single family homes for rent right now in my area, so I'm hoping to one of them will at least accept pets (or be persuaded too) Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Backyard Breeder Blues :(   Backyard Breeder Blues :( Empty

Back to top Go down

Backyard Breeder Blues :(

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1