It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Argh!! Visiting husky 'claims' my house!!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kronosmommy
Newborn
Newborn
Kronosmommy

Female Join date : 2013-05-09

Argh!! Visiting husky 'claims' my house!!! Empty
PostSubject: Argh!! Visiting husky 'claims' my house!!!   Argh!! Visiting husky 'claims' my house!!! EmptySun Jun 23, 2013 8:53 am

I'm mad. At myself and at the owner of a non-neutered husky that visited us. We wanted Kronos to socialize so this 9 yr old husky came over, met Kronos outside, everything going ok. As soon as he came inside he 'marked' peed and pooped all over my carpet. I mean it was bam bam bam owner didn't stop him, nothing we could do. We've had Kronos a whole month NO accidents. Then this happens!!!!!! I tried to spot clean, but I know Kronos still smells it. I don't want him to remark every spot!!!! Please help.
Back to top Go down
Bella_Jasper
Teenager
Teenager
Bella_Jasper

Female Join date : 2013-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Argh!! Visiting husky 'claims' my house!!!   Argh!! Visiting husky 'claims' my house!!! EmptySun Jun 23, 2013 10:35 am

Clean it as best you can and get an enzyme spray to spritz also. I get one from dollar tree that another member had mentioned, was there just the other day getting more and they actually had two a green bottle and a white one either should work. Its helped with my two and housebreaking them, the people before us had like 4 cats and a little dog which we discovered peed everywhere when we tore carpeting out recently after washing the floors and spraying this on the water marked spots Bella's peeing in the house has gone down a lot.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Argh!! Visiting husky 'claims' my house!!!   Argh!! Visiting husky 'claims' my house!!! EmptySun Jun 23, 2013 12:39 pm

Get a big bottle of Nature's Miracle, there's one that has a nozzle where if you press it it keeps spraying with a power sprayer. I used that a LOT when Yuki was a puppy and quite honestly it was a lot easier to use than a regular spray bottle. Also clean the carpet with a carpet cleaning machine if possible.
Back to top Go down
Kronosmommy
Newborn
Newborn
Kronosmommy

PostSubject: Re: Argh!! Visiting husky 'claims' my house!!!   Argh!! Visiting husky 'claims' my house!!! EmptySun Jun 23, 2013 1:48 pm

Thanks guys! You'd think I would have gotten it already, cause accidents happen. I just got really lucky with Kronos. Seriously, no accidents in his crate and none on our carpet. Now, he has pee'd on my hardwood floors, but that's it. Sigh. I just about died seeing the size of the poo on my carpet! Talk about a reality check. Now I have a good idea for when Kronos is full grown.
Back to top Go down
Emily.Laiche
Puppy
Puppy
Emily.Laiche

Female Join date : 2013-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Argh!! Visiting husky 'claims' my house!!!   Argh!! Visiting husky 'claims' my house!!! EmptySun Jun 23, 2013 5:49 pm

My dog has tried to mark in houses and he gets a SOLID smack for it
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Argh!! Visiting husky 'claims' my house!!!   Argh!! Visiting husky 'claims' my house!!! EmptySun Jun 23, 2013 11:14 pm

I'm pretty sure that smacking a dog for marking is going to turn out to be very counterproductive, and I sure hope you're not punishing him if you don't catch him in the act.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Argh!! Visiting husky 'claims' my house!!! 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Argh!! Visiting husky 'claims' my house!!!   Argh!! Visiting husky 'claims' my house!!! EmptySun Jun 23, 2013 11:27 pm

blueeyedghost wrote:
I'm pretty sure that smacking a dog for marking is going to turn out to be very counterproductive, and I sure hope you're not punishing him if you don't catch him in the act.

Yeah, 

I'm in total agreement with Meredith on this one. 

There are much more efficient and kinder ways to house train a dog than with physical punishment. Smacking, rubbing their nose in it, or yelling just promote fear and confusion....

In terms of the OP,

It happens.... Puppy play dates add a lot of excitement, and investigation. It's normal that accidents happen, especially when two dogs are meeting each other for the first time. Just clean the spot as well as you can... I think every time a new dog has been over at my house in the least year it has relieved itself at some point inside my house. we just clean it, and let the play date continue.

~Chris~

Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Argh!! Visiting husky 'claims' my house!!!   Argh!! Visiting husky 'claims' my house!!! EmptySun Jun 23, 2013 11:27 pm

Plus smacking the dog would be completely uncalled for as the dog who marked was not hers, so in this situation I wouldn't recommend doing so, nor in any situation. There are other ways to handle it as said above.

Have you had any luck cleaning it, and how is Kronos doing with potty training?
Back to top Go down
Kronosmommy
Newborn
Newborn
Kronosmommy

PostSubject: Re: Argh!! Visiting husky 'claims' my house!!!   Argh!! Visiting husky 'claims' my house!!! EmptyMon Jun 24, 2013 12:08 am

Yeah, nothing really happened when the other husky did it. I mean he was not my dog, and I am pretty sure he was a rescue, and the owner wasn't actively training the husky in anything. Poor thing was blowing coat too, and he was just 'plucking' the fuzzies. Now I am not judging his way of taking care of his husky, but I did gently ask the owner if I could brush his dog. Oh my gosh. Seriously I brushed out a pillowcase full of hair! Again another reality check. I am now prepared for the amount of hair when Kronos gets full grown. :DRemember I have not ever in my life owned a dog. So all of this is so new to me.
I am a stay at home mom, so I have lots and lots of time to watch Kronos very carefully. He has been amazing at potty training. I take him out every two hours, and after every nap, and every meal. So he practically goes potty on command. haha. I let him out, and tell him go potty, and he does it every time. he has not had any accidents in his crate. He is only in the crate at night time though. He can go about six hours straight in there. All other times he is with me or my daughter or my husband.
As far as cleaning it, I have a generic cleaner, but I am getting the enzyme cleaner tomorrow. Smile
Back to top Go down
StMavrides
Newborn
Newborn
StMavrides

Male Join date : 2013-06-22

PostSubject: Re: Argh!! Visiting husky 'claims' my house!!!   Argh!! Visiting husky 'claims' my house!!! EmptyMon Jun 24, 2013 1:08 am

The same burgers-with-lemon-juice-on-the-floor happened to me when I got a visit from a non-neutered male, when he entered the house with his owner. What I have to add is that I hosted the same dog in the past (3 months before the "accident") for a couple of days, with no such problems. Hmmm... Anyone who can explain this attitude?
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Argh!! Visiting husky 'claims' my house!!!   Argh!! Visiting husky 'claims' my house!!! EmptyMon Jun 24, 2013 1:17 am

Could the difference be because the owner was with him?
Back to top Go down
StMavrides
Newborn
Newborn
StMavrides

Male Join date : 2013-06-22

PostSubject: Re: Argh!! Visiting husky 'claims' my house!!!   Argh!! Visiting husky 'claims' my house!!! EmptyMon Jun 24, 2013 1:24 am

Most probably. In my case, at least that's the most notable difference and according to the owner he walked the dog right before visiting me. The dog marks because he can claim the territory easier when with his "buddy".
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Argh!! Visiting husky 'claims' my house!!!   Argh!! Visiting husky 'claims' my house!!! Empty

Back to top Go down

Argh!! Visiting husky 'claims' my house!!!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1