It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

For all the paranoid husky owners...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
huskyowner7
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2013-05-10

For all the paranoid husky owners... Empty
PostSubject: For all the paranoid husky owners...   For all the paranoid husky owners... EmptyFri Jun 07, 2013 11:53 am

Last edited by huskyowner7 on Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
dbingham12
Teenager
Teenager
dbingham12

Female Join date : 2012-06-07

PostSubject: Re: For all the paranoid husky owners...   For all the paranoid husky owners... EmptyFri Jun 07, 2013 12:19 pm

Saphire can back out of a harness faster than any dog alive, I swear it. So when I have her in a harness, I hook her harness to her collar with a locking carabiner. Then I just hook the leash to the harness. This way when she backs out of the harness she is still connected to the leash.

Although I have to say that I have pretty much given up using a harness unless we are carting or bike-joring, and then its a custom fit x-back harness which is harder to slip out of anyway.

Back to top Go down
huskyowner7
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: For all the paranoid husky owners...   For all the paranoid husky owners... EmptyFri Jun 07, 2013 12:23 pm

Last edited by huskyowner7 on Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SkyPlusUs
Teenager
Teenager
SkyPlusUs

Female Join date : 2013-04-13

PostSubject: Re: For all the paranoid husky owners...   For all the paranoid husky owners... EmptyFri Jun 07, 2013 12:29 pm

Sky backed out of her harness yesterday and took a happy skip down the street. Hubby caught her just inside the park but some woman had picked a big stick up to use on Sky, who was going to say hello, to defend herself and her kid (Sky is only 4 1/2 months old) just as hubby rounded the corner

Was my own fault.. Usually if we go out in the day when we come home the dogs go out the back garden for 10 minutes calm down before we take them for a walk to get the kids from school but yesterday we were late so she went straight in her harness and out the door we go. She was so wound up she was nearly back flipping and slipped back out the harness

We have a long lead with a clip at each end we usually clip one end to the harness and the other to her collar so if something gives she will still be attached to something and the lead
Back to top Go down
huskyowner7
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: For all the paranoid husky owners...   For all the paranoid husky owners... EmptyFri Jun 07, 2013 12:34 pm

Last edited by huskyowner7 on Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: For all the paranoid husky owners...   For all the paranoid husky owners... EmptyFri Jun 07, 2013 1:09 pm

I use a small dog coupler and attach it to their regular collar and the leash. So if (knock on wood) their prongs were to snap the coupler is attached to their collar and leash.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: For all the paranoid husky owners...   For all the paranoid husky owners... EmptyFri Jun 07, 2013 1:20 pm

they cant back out of the ruffwear harness http://www.ruffwear.com/Web-Master-Harness_2?sc=2&category=1131!
also not sure on your belt as with my belt from adanac sleds has a snap for around my waist and then a snap for the leashes so its super secure. http://stores.adanacsleds.com/-strse-Skijoring-and-Canicross/Categories.bok

the next best thing would be to also train for them running off and really work on recall

Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: For all the paranoid husky owners...   For all the paranoid husky owners... EmptyFri Jun 07, 2013 1:23 pm

I try to work on recall a lot, but I can't find anything that really motivates my husky. No particular toys, balls, or treats does he go above and beyond for. Treats work great for the house, and I can't find a food that he really loves for when there are distractions. Any ideas? I've tried hot dogs, turkey, and nothing gets him to just drop what he is going for to pay attention to me. Any ideas that work with your dogs?
Back to top Go down
huskyowner7
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: For all the paranoid husky owners...   For all the paranoid husky owners... EmptyFri Jun 07, 2013 1:25 pm

and thanks for those links, I'll look into those. I love how much dog stuff that I think is going to work to only then find better stuff out there after I purchase things.. aghhhhhh, the money I spend on these dogs! haha.
Back to top Go down
Mishka&Me
Puppy
Puppy
Mishka&Me

Male Join date : 2013-04-02

PostSubject: Re: For all the paranoid husky owners...   For all the paranoid husky owners... EmptyFri Jun 07, 2013 2:30 pm

i tried to have two leashes at once, but it gets to thick for my hand. The leash has slipped in my hand twice, mini hearts atacks. I just run the oposite way and yell at him to chase me, if i chase him i would never EVER catch him!
Back to top Go down
WolvenSight
Teenager
Teenager
WolvenSight

PostSubject: Re: For all the paranoid husky owners...   For all the paranoid husky owners... EmptyFri Jun 07, 2013 3:22 pm

While I am hiking I use a harness but during walks it is collar and leash for me. I have the ruffwear collar that connects like an airplane belt would, instead of a normal belt. I also use the ruffwear leash made of rope and a carabiner end so there is no slipping or mishaps on our outings. When I hold the leash my hand goes through the loop where people normally grab and I grab it that way so even if she pulls and I am not paying attention it won't matter since it my hand/forearm are through that hole.
Back to top Go down
TinaR
Newborn
Newborn
TinaR

PostSubject: Re: For all the paranoid husky owners...   For all the paranoid husky owners... EmptyWed Jun 12, 2013 10:59 am

I use a martingale collar. Hasn't failed me yet.
Back to top Go down
xredrainx
Teenager
Teenager
xredrainx

Male Join date : 2012-05-24

PostSubject: Re: For all the paranoid husky owners...   For all the paranoid husky owners... EmptyFri Jun 14, 2013 12:52 pm

I use a martingale collar and a 6 foot leash.  I just loop the leash and put it around my waist and attach the other end to the collar.  Haven't had a problem.
Back to top Go down
huskyowner7
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: For all the paranoid husky owners...   For all the paranoid husky owners... EmptySat Jun 15, 2013 9:26 am

Last edited by huskyowner7 on Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TinaR
Newborn
Newborn
TinaR

PostSubject: Re: For all the paranoid husky owners...   For all the paranoid husky owners... EmptyMon Jun 17, 2013 2:30 pm

LOVE THAT BRAND!!! I just had my puppy chew up two of my collars and I'm sending them back for my replacements.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: For all the paranoid husky owners...   For all the paranoid husky owners... EmptyMon Jun 17, 2013 2:46 pm

http://www.theanimalhouse.net/leashes/weiss-walkie-dog-training-leash/

When I adopted Kenzi the animal control guy had her on a leash like this and it worked great. Very simple to put on. I don't like the bulk of a harness and Kenzi fights while you put it on and backs out of them as soon as you let her go. This hooks to the collar you already have and tightens around her middle as she pulls instead of choking her and she won't slip out. You can get them cheaper than at this link but I liked their description.

PostSubject: Re: For all the paranoid husky owners...   For all the paranoid husky owners... Empty

Back to top Go down

For all the paranoid husky owners...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1