It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Arlington, TX - Beautiful Red Husky Needs A Beautiful Home

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
GibbyCanes
Newborn
Newborn

Arlington, TX - Beautiful Red Husky Needs A Beautiful Home Empty
PostSubject: Arlington, TX - Beautiful Red Husky Needs A Beautiful Home   Arlington, TX - Beautiful Red Husky Needs A Beautiful Home EmptyTue Jun 04, 2013 1:47 am

Our friends had neighbors who made the husky commitment without considering whether or not they could be proper husky owners. Because of demanding day jobs and marital issues, they decided to take the dog to the local pound which is an awful environment for her. So now I have her and am working with my fiance to take care of her. Unfortunately this is only possible because it is summer break for our college courses. Even now our jobs make it difficult to spend the necessary amount of time at home. We also have a house mate with a cat and no backyard, so this is sort of urgent. Now about the dog:

Arlington, TX - Beautiful Red Husky Needs A Beautiful Home Imag0411

Sorry for the mediocre image. I'd take a better one but I'm not at home.

She has recently gotten all of her shots and vaccinations. She may have already had them but we had them done just to be sure. She also has a bed, leash & harness, some Innova food, half a bag of treats, and a FURminator that we will gladly give with her for her comfort and for the convenience of her new owners.

She is completely healthy and between 2-3 years old. She has no behavioral issues that we have observed, and she doesn't feel the compulsion to chew on things that most other huskies seem to have. She is the ideal weight for her size (somewhere around 40 lbs if I remember correctly) and enjoys living with other dogs. Due to the quality of her previous owners, she has no name she genuinely responds to, and will gladly learn whatever name you choose for her. We've taken to calling her Sam, which is pretty much the least husky-ish name ever.

We have not had her long enough to do much training, though she has quickly been picking up on the "heel" command, with no incentive other than me refusing to continue walking until she stands next to me. This leads me to believe that she is still very capable of learning and responding well to obedience training. She is fearful of car rides because cars have only taken her to vets and new homes, so a nice road trip or two may be good for her.

Overall she's a gorgeous dog that owners would typically have trouble finding without buying from a breeder (as her original owners did), and how happy we are to have her is matched only by how sad we are to admit that she won't be happy living here long term. My only price is that her potential new owners allow me to ask them a few questions and drive her to her new home to ensure its quality. I'd prefer her new home to be one with:

Other dogs- preferably huskies
Experienced owners- preferably husky owners
A well fenced yard- otherwise you'll have to walk her every time she goes out
Loving owners who would likely be described by others as "dog people"

Also she transitioned to her home here within days and showed no apparent signs of separation anxiety, so her transition into your home should be easier than transitioning a puppy.

Edit: Also she's fixed. Can't believe I almost forgot to mention that.

Last edited by GibbyCanes on Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:50 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I'm retarded)
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Arlington, TX - Beautiful Red Husky Needs A Beautiful Home   Arlington, TX - Beautiful Red Husky Needs A Beautiful Home EmptyTue Jun 04, 2013 2:41 am

Try contacting Texas Husky Rescue. They're based in Dallas/FT Worth Area. They have a Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/TexasHuskyRescue?fref=ts and a website - http://texashuskyrescue.org/.
With her being healthy and spayed, I see no reason for them to decline her (unless they lack fosters).

You did a wonderful thing by keeping her in your home instead of that shelter!

Does she have a crate, or do you let her have free roam during the day and night? Does she chew stuff up? If you have vet records, they would probably like those too. Smile

If THR doesn't work, try Texas Sled Dog Rescue - they are in Houston. They are also on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/texassled.dogrescue?fref=ts and have a website - http://texassleddogrescue.org/. They'll probably post it on their Facebook to see if we can get anyone to foster her.

Good luck and keep us updated, please!
Back to top Go down
GibbyCanes
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Arlington, TX - Beautiful Red Husky Needs A Beautiful Home   Arlington, TX - Beautiful Red Husky Needs A Beautiful Home EmptyTue Jun 04, 2013 2:55 am

Thanks for the reference, I will definitely contact them. She doesn't chew, but unfortunately she does not have a crate or any crate training because we have yet to buy one. I will post here if/when she's taken to a shelter so anyone who may be interested in taking her will know.
Back to top Go down
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

Male Join date : 2009-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Arlington, TX - Beautiful Red Husky Needs A Beautiful Home   Arlington, TX - Beautiful Red Husky Needs A Beautiful Home EmptyTue Jun 04, 2013 8:56 am

I can't really do anything to help but I wish you good luck, hopefully you can find a good home for her soon.
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Arlington, TX - Beautiful Red Husky Needs A Beautiful Home   Arlington, TX - Beautiful Red Husky Needs A Beautiful Home EmptyTue Jun 04, 2013 2:22 pm

A friend of a Friend of mine does Fosters and Rescues in Dallas. She deals with a lot of fearful and neglected cases... A true animal lover.

I Posted the information up on her Facebook wall in hopes she could share the information with other rescues, fosters, or people in the area.

Caddy's Rescues & Fosters

~Chris~

PostSubject: Re: Arlington, TX - Beautiful Red Husky Needs A Beautiful Home   Arlington, TX - Beautiful Red Husky Needs A Beautiful Home Empty

Back to top Go down

Arlington, TX - Beautiful Red Husky Needs A Beautiful Home

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1