It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Teaching "Paw"

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ateam043
Teenager
Teenager
ateam043

Male Join date : 2013-03-06

Teaching "Paw" Empty
PostSubject: Teaching "Paw"   Teaching "Paw" EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 12:45 am

Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping one of you can assist me in teaching Meeka the "Paw" command.

I have had her for 3 weeks and she now "sits", "down", and "Stand" (literally just stands from whichever position and moves around), and "Come". She has these "tricks" down fairly good, however any distraction from any outside dog and forget about it.

I would like to leash train to avoid Meeka form pulling me everywhere, but would would to get down "paw" before anything else.

I have attempted to look at youtube videos, but cannoy find anything.

If any of you have had sucess with it can you let me know how you went about it?

I have tried to sit Meeka and then ask for the Paw command but instead she gives me kisses, and same thing from down position. I don't even get the slightest movement from one of her paws.
Back to top Go down
ateam043
Teenager
Teenager
ateam043

Teaching "Paw" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teaching "Paw"   Teaching "Paw" EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 12:48 am

I realize some folks call it "shake"...(just wanted to throw that in)
Back to top Go down
soul embrace
Teenager
Teenager
soul embrace

Male Join date : 2013-01-04

Teaching "Paw" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teaching "Paw"   Teaching "Paw" EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 1:10 am

what i did when i taught Maya and Zoë to shake was i had them to sit and i also had a treat in my hand. i would grabbed her leg and i said shake (or for you paw) as i gave her the treat, after a little while she caught on and then i could say shake and she would give me her paw.
Back to top Go down
ateam043
Teenager
Teenager
ateam043

Teaching "Paw" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teaching "Paw"   Teaching "Paw" EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 1:24 am

Completely makes sense! I will try that tomorrow morning once the rain dies down here in SoCal.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
soul embrace
Teenager
Teenager
soul embrace

Teaching "Paw" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teaching "Paw"   Teaching "Paw" EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 1:45 am

Maya picked it up really quick, I think it took me maybe 10 minutes to get her to do it on command. Zoë pretty much just learned from watching me working with Maya. When I moved to start teaching Zoë when I told her to sit she pretty much handed me her paw to shake.

Maya would always give me a different paw each time I told her to shake, so I started telling her to shake and after we shook with that paw I would say other paw and she will give me her other paw

You can go here to see a video of Maya shaking the first day she learned how: https://www.itsahuskything.com/t8329-maya-s-training-with-a-beginner-trainer
Back to top Go down
Merch
Newborn
Newborn
Merch

Male Join date : 2013-01-16

Teaching "Paw" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teaching "Paw"   Teaching "Paw" EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 1:58 am

If you can get her to offer her paw without picking it up from the ground she'll learn faster because she is choosing to give it to you but the other way will also work.

I got Varu to offer his paw by holding a treat infront of him while he was in sit. The hand with the treat is closed fist, my other hand was open face up. He first tried to get it out with his mouth/nose but I just waited until he tried to hit my hand with his paw. When he did that I caught his paw with my open hand and offered the treat. On the second attempt I did the same but with no treat in my fist, he paw'd by face up palm so I gave him a treat from my pocket. After that any time I put my hand face up below his nose he knew to paw it for a treat so I had a hand signal and was able to repeat the behaviour consistently this allowed me to put a word to it (I also use paw).

I think Kikopup on Youtube has a video on it.

Edit: Here's a video
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

Teaching "Paw" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teaching "Paw"   Teaching "Paw" EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 11:36 am

It also helps to position yourself + treat vertically above them, and then you can have your shake hand by the paw.

I noticed if I'm too horizontal, in front of Link he tends to wanna scoot down, and being high and vertical keeps him in sit.
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
Super Nova
Teenager
Teenager
Super Nova

Male Join date : 2013-01-18

Teaching "Paw" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teaching "Paw"   Teaching "Paw" EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 12:07 pm

We taught 'Paw' actually really easy.
When you come in from a walk/outside do you wipe the paws? Smile
When you come in have the puppy "Sit" praise, Grab a towel, say "paw" and grab the left paw. When you are done wiping the paw praise the pup, put the paw down. Then say "other paw" grab the other paw wipe and when you are done praise again.
So now you are teaching 3 commands at one time in a short period. ++

After a few times they will get it. When Nova comes in he will sit waiting for his paws to be wiped.

This also is great because he loves to step in mud puddles!
Back to top Go down
ateam043
Teenager
Teenager
ateam043

Teaching "Paw" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teaching "Paw"   Teaching "Paw" EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 2:16 pm

Thank you all....I will take all your training methods to consideration.
Back to top Go down
soul embrace
Teenager
Teenager
soul embrace

Teaching "Paw" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teaching "Paw"   Teaching "Paw" EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 5:58 pm

yes if one method doesn't work try another way there is no one way to train them. what worked for me may not work for you
Back to top Go down
kr1s85
Newborn
Newborn
kr1s85

Male Join date : 2013-03-03

Teaching "Paw" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teaching "Paw"   Teaching "Paw" EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 6:21 pm

i tought my 9 week old in a few hours i just let her sniff her treat between my fingers then put it in my fist so she knew it was ther and then kept repeating paw dogs will naturally try to use their paws to get at things so when she pawed my fist i would praise her and give her treat then when she got the hang of that i would put my other hand infornt of her (with no treat) say paw then when she give it to me i would give her a treat and praise.

worked for me.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Teaching "Paw" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teaching "Paw"   Teaching "Paw" Empty

Back to top Go down

Teaching "Paw"

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1