It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Starting to run

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
BryanKohh
Newborn
Newborn
BryanKohh

Starting to run Empty
PostSubject: Starting to run   Starting to run EmptySat Dec 08, 2012 12:36 am

I have a 6 weeks old pup. I was wondering when will she be able to take jogs or run. Shes receiving her first vac on the 14th. I was told that she needs to get all her vacs before she can leave the house=\. Currently i jog up and down my house with her
Back to top Go down
drzcoyotex3
Teenager
Teenager
drzcoyotex3

Male Join date : 2012-07-07

Starting to run Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting to run   Starting to run EmptySat Dec 08, 2012 12:43 am

6 weeks old is too young. She shouldnt be going up or down the stairs. As for running and jogging that will happen when she is close to a year or so after she has stopped growing from the advice's I have gotten so far, if you run with them when they are young it can do damage to their joints. She can still run at the park on the grass which will be fine but not on concrete. As for taking her outside I believe it is after she has gotten all of her vaccine but dont quote me on that. Some of the senior members will be able to provide way more info than me. Smile
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

Starting to run Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting to run   Starting to run EmptySat Dec 08, 2012 12:59 am

You need to wait until she's had all of her vaccines, not just the first round before you take her out in public. Around your house and yard is fine, and play dates with dogs you know are up to date are fine as well. Do not take her to a dog park, most of them have age restrictions anyway.

As for running, Jeffry is absolutely right. She is *far* too young to be doing any sort of structured running. Let her run around in your yard for a few minutes at a time, but I wouldn't run her up and down in your house. That is very hard on her joints, and you could wind up with nasty orthopedic issues in the future. Wait until she's a year old before you start taking her on structured runs.

If you're worried about her having too much energy, mental stimulation will wear her our just as much if not more than a good romp in the yard, and training is essential to having a well rounded, well behaved Husky. Specifically, you really need to start looking into bite inhibition since she was taken from her litter so young. Good luck!

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Starting to run 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Robinhuskylover2231
Teenager
Teenager
Robinhuskylover2231

Female Join date : 2012-08-11

Starting to run Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting to run   Starting to run EmptySat Dec 08, 2012 1:07 am

Advice so far is great, they know what they're talking about. Just wanted to add to what Jeffry said- "structured" running on both grass and concrete isn't good. But as Meredith said, you can allow him to run around on his own and not structured. Your pup can then tell when she is done and can lay down and take a break and be done but structured running is as everyone said- hard on their joints and they won't necessarily tell you they need a break.
Back to top Go down
BryanKohh
Newborn
Newborn
BryanKohh

Starting to run Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting to run   Starting to run EmptySat Dec 08, 2012 1:12 am

Oops i meant i jog around my house and she would chase me haha
Back to top Go down
BryanKohh
Newborn
Newborn
BryanKohh

Starting to run Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting to run   Starting to run EmptySat Dec 08, 2012 1:14 am

Hmm if not running how do i use all my pups extra energy. Ive tried using toys but she either loses interest in them or plays too rough
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

Starting to run Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting to run   Starting to run EmptySat Dec 08, 2012 1:24 am

Short play sessions in the yard are fine. Also, like I said in my last post, you need to be giving her mental stimulation. Get puzzle toys for her, and do things like frozen kongs. There are some other threads here on stuffing kongs, and those will generally get you an hour or so of peace. Finally, training. Training, training, training. Wait a few more weeks, and then get her in a formal training class. In the meantime, there is a lot you can be teaching her, and both you and she will benefit from the training.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Starting to run 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

Starting to run Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting to run   Starting to run EmptySat Dec 08, 2012 1:59 am

You'll need to provide lots of mental stimulation, as mentioned puzzle toys and plenty of socialization with you and your family. She should not have been taken from her mother an littermates this young so you will have to provide the structure and pack socialization she's missing out on. She should be allowed to romp and play in a safe environment like a fenced yard, young pups like this usually have 'bursts' of energy and then nap time. If you think she's got energy now wait until the naps are fewer and further between!
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
BryanKohh
Newborn
Newborn
BryanKohh

Starting to run Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting to run   Starting to run EmptySat Dec 08, 2012 3:26 am

Thanks for the advice! I'm gonna try penut butter kongs.
Back to top Go down
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

Female Join date : 2012-05-31

Starting to run Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting to run   Starting to run EmptySat Dec 08, 2012 11:32 am

if you havnt startted basic training yet, now is a good time. It will keep her mentally stimulated as well.
3-5 5 minute sessions a day is a good place to start using treats as a reward.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/For-the-Love-of-Readi
BryanKohh
Newborn
Newborn
BryanKohh

Starting to run Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting to run   Starting to run EmptySat Dec 08, 2012 1:08 pm

Yup im starting to train her , asking her to sit before eating and playing and there has to be eye contact. But i'm scared that i'm feeding her too many treats. I give around 4 treats per day. Hmm should i break my treats to half so they'll last longer?
Back to top Go down
gocavs627
Puppy
Puppy
gocavs627

Female Join date : 2012-10-18

Starting to run Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting to run   Starting to run EmptySat Dec 08, 2012 6:48 pm

We break Kane's treats up into small pieces and he's 2 years old. Especially for training, I think you should break them up so they'll last longer and they won't fill up on treats and spoil their meals. I've found that Kane doesn't care how much of a treat he gets, he's more interested in how many Smile
Back to top Go down
reyeskid
Newborn
Newborn
reyeskid

Male Join date : 2012-11-17

Starting to run Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting to run   Starting to run EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 6:13 pm

let her do what she does until about a year than you can worry about getting her up and running.. literally
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Starting to run Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting to run   Starting to run Empty

Back to top Go down

Starting to run

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1