It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Crystals in the bladder

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

Crystals in the bladder - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crystals in the bladder   Crystals in the bladder - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 08, 2012 3:54 am

My huskies are 8 mos. and 2 years old. I can feed Cato, for about .65 - .75 a day. And Delilah is about that same. I have a great Co-op and it helps to buy in bulk. I spent less than 100 on 120 lbs of meat. This will last us 2.5 months. If you can find a co-op in your area it will be help a lot.

http://dogaware.com/diet/rawgroups.html << that is a good compilation list for Co-ops. There are a few in the Carolinas.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Crystals in the bladder   Crystals in the bladder - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 09, 2013 5:03 pm

Going to resurrect this thread, since Shadow was diagnosed with Struvite Crystals this morning.

She started exhibiting the classic UTI symptoms last night, frequent urination, lots of accidents, and mostly just dripping when she did pee. I started giving her cranberry juice last night (we buy the 100% juice, no sugar added stuff, so it's not junky), and she didn't seem to be in a tremendous amount of pain before bed. I woke up several times in the night to take her out, and she still peed in the crate. We got up this morning to her crying while peeing in the crate, we got her out, she cried and peed some more, so I got my act together and took her in to the e-vet. Aaron was able to collect some urine so they didn't have to tap her bladder to get it, and they found a lot of red blood cells and struvite crystals, which they said was indicative of an infection. The vet said I shouldn't have to worry about changing the diet unless the crystals persist, and right now she's on an antibiotic and an anti-inflammatory as well as continued cranberry juice.

So here's what I'm thinking, and please anyone chime in with other suggestions. First off, I'm familiar with raw, have done research and considered it, but it's really not practical for us. From what I understand, and again, correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard that red meat has a higher pH and inhibits crystal growth. It was very difficult to find a food that Shadow tolerated, so we have to be very careful about switching food. We know for a fact that she can't tolerate any kind of potato, so that takes out an awful lot of the grain free formulas. The only kibble I've had any luck with is the Nature's Variety Instinct, and she's been on the chicken formula with the Raw Boost. After doing some research and talking to her foster mom (who has an awesome vet who is very knowledgable on nutrition), I'm going to go exchange the big bag of Chicken for the Venison formula. She's pretty much out of food aside from that unopened bag (was going to open it tonight for dinner), so I need to go do this before the store closes. I'm all ears with other suggestions to try out over time though.

Aside from the food, what supplements are people using? I'm completely open to supplement use, and I really want to keep this from becoming a recurring problem if at all possible. Thanks all!

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Crystals in the bladder - Page 2 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Crystals in the bladder   Crystals in the bladder - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 09, 2013 7:54 pm

Meredith, raw does not cause crystal growth if it is done correctly. That means you are feeding gan adequate amount of muscle and bone. I also feed eggs and fruits and veggies because mine love them.

I would try something besides the Nature's Variety simply because it has a REALLY high ash content, which means it is dense in minerals and could be contributing to the problem. That would be my only concern, as I don't dislike NV.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Crystals in the bladder   Crystals in the bladder - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 09, 2013 9:17 pm

I wasn't implying that raw causes crystal growth, I was just saying it's not really practical for us to do with our dynamic.

I'm aware of the high ash content, it's just been horrible trying to find a kibble that doesn't give her the runs. I'm still looking for another grain free kibble that doesn't have potato in it, which is proving to be difficult. Even most of the THK and Grandma Lucy's formulas have potato.

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Crystals in the bladder - Page 2 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Crystals in the bladder   Crystals in the bladder - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 09, 2013 9:22 pm

OH! I read that wrong, I thought you were asking if it caused it? I knew you were not interested in feeding raw. I guess I wasn't clear on what you were asking.

Have you thought about Back to Basics?
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Crystals in the bladder   Crystals in the bladder - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 09, 2013 9:23 pm

I'm actually not familiar with that one, but I will go look it up. Thanks!

Back to top Go down
Yonjuro
Teenager
Teenager
Yonjuro

Male Join date : 2013-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Crystals in the bladder   Crystals in the bladder - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 13, 2013 5:19 am

My late Schnauzer Tessi suffered from crystals for much of her 14 years. Sometimes they would form into stones and we had to have them flushed under general anesthetic on a couple of occasions after she would get a UTI. My vet (who is fantastic) after much research on Tessi's case, said that she needed to stay off bones as the excess calcium was a known contributor. She wasn't on raw, but I liked to give her bones every now and again, but then stopped bones. I am not sure how this relates to a true raw diet, but it might be worth considering. 

BTW, when I do get my Husky, I fully intend following the Prey model Raw diet, so I am not bashing raw. Just something to consider when you do your full research. It is feasible that an 85% Meat, 5% bone, 5% organ and 5 % liver might be good assuming the stools were okay??

I personally would be worried about distilled water, fully stripped RO water is considered dangerous for humans and this is essentially the same a distilled. You can buy RO units that you can adjust the amount of minerals stripped out. Having said this, there might be circumstances where distilled water is used under medical supervision.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Crystals in the bladder   Crystals in the bladder - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 13, 2013 11:52 am

Distiller water is not harmful; many kidney patients are on it.
Back to top Go down
Yonjuro
Teenager
Teenager
Yonjuro

Male Join date : 2013-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Crystals in the bladder   Crystals in the bladder - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 14, 2013 12:16 am

I have no doubt that there are some instances where Distilled water water is used to treat a medical condition. Following are my comments based on my limited knowledge and experiences.

I looked into getting a Reverse Osmosis De Ionised (RO/DI) unit for my home as I use it for a highly sensitive fresh water aquarium shrimp. We use water with 0 TDS (total dissolved solids) and then remineralise with the appropriate level of minerals for the species of shrimp. I was advised that this pure water was no good for drinking. Which is odd I must admit. The reason is that it will strip essential minerals from your body and taste like crap (I subsequently created a system,catching and clean storage device for rain water which serves my minimal requirements for aquaria)

Here is a paper from the World Health Organisation, that discusses distilled water with the following areas for concern

• Direct effects on the intestinal mucous membrane, metabolism and mineral homeostasis or other body functions.
• Practically zero calcium and magnesium intake. 
• Low intake of other essential elements and microelements. 
• Loss of calcium, magnesium and other essential elements in prepared food.
 • Possible increased dietary intake of toxic metals leached from water pipe. • Possible bacterial re-growth.

http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/dwq/nutdemineralized.pdf

As I said before there may be circumstances where the stripping of minerals is beneficial for certain medical conditions, and may indeed reduce crystals in dogs bladder. This would possibly be consistent with my Vets advice to remove bones from my dogs kibble diet. 

My point in responding to this thread is not to argue or refute the use of distilled water, rather my intention is to raise awareness that distilled water may have undesirable effects. I had researched this quite a bit before deciding against installing a unit in my kitchen. 

My recommendation would be to do a fair bit of research and then consult with my vet or doctor before embarking on medium or long term consumption of distilled water.

To say distilled water is not harmful because many kidney patients are on it may indeed be true, but I don't know what other medications or supplements are used in conjunction with their treatments nor am I a doctor.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Crystals in the bladder   Crystals in the bladder - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Crystals in the bladder

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2