It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Seamus has a new family... :(

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

Seamus has a new family... :( Empty
PostSubject: Seamus has a new family... :(   Seamus has a new family... :( EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 12:59 pm

So I'm not sure how to write this.. Seamus has been with me for 2 years I think. About 6 months ago we began to think seriously about the possibility of rehoming him. It was not a decision that was reached lightly... He really seemed to need a lot more than I can give him. The exercise needs were not the issue, nor was the shedding, or any other "typical" Border Collie behavior. Seamus needs things emotionally that i'm just not able to provide. He truly was not happy with us at home. It was a tough realization to come to.

So I began searching for a new home about 4-5 months ago, I did not want to turn him over to a rescue. It took a lot of searching... but I found this really great family in Lake Worth who had a work-from-home husband, 3 kids who were old enough to enjoy a dog, and a mom who has been in love with Border Collies forever. We did a few meet and greets at the dog parks near me, and then did a few weekends at their house. About 2-3 months ago they took Seamus for a more permanent trial. Went up and saw them 2 weeks after they "adopted" him for a check-up. I just about cried at how happy he was with them. He was in love with her kids, but especially her son. I was up there for about 5 hours, talking and laughing with them... I truly don't think I could have found a better more perfect family.

We have been staying in touch via email and text as well as facebook. She asked me to come back up yesterday to see everyone. Her kids ran out to me and hugged me hello and we sat out back watching Seamus follow her son around on his power wheels 4wheeler. While he was happy to see me, and most certainly knew who I was, I could tell that he knew this is where he belonged now. That hurt, but I knew that I did the best for him, and I had found him them. Didn't leave until about 10pm last night- I swear it feels like they're part of my family. Her kids asked if I was their aunt because of Seamus. Megan said, "You most certainly can call Kristina, "aunt Kristina!" (Started to cry at that)

Regardless, we all had dinner together and I finally had to leave and I knew this was 100% permanent. And thought it was time I made the announcement. So I'm sure some of you won't agree with me, and feel dogs are a forever commitment. But I feel dogs should be given the best life possible. And I knew I couldn't provide that for Seamus. So I sucked it up and put my own emotions and feelings aside and found him what he needed.

Bryson (her son) and Seamus:
Seamus has a new family... :( 381160_10150451981993507_685653506_8817759_345081562_n

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!

Last edited by arooroomom on Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Seamus has a new family... :(   Seamus has a new family... :( EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 1:06 pm

The fact that this was so hard for you shows how much you cared for Seamus and his happiness. I think it's great that you found him a family that can meet his emotional needs. That's exciting that he has fallen in love with the son!
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: Seamus has a new family... :(   Seamus has a new family... :( EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 1:17 pm

26nikita wrote:
The fact that this was so hard for you shows how much you cared for Seamus and his happiness. I think it's great that you found him a family that can meet his emotional needs. That's exciting that he has fallen in love with the son!

Thank you for understanding, Mindy I have been so nervous to say anything.. My family hasn't been so nice and accepting... and feels as though i've made a "horrible choice" and how dare I call myself a "dog lover" so these past 6 months have been very stressful.

Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Seamus has a new family... :(   Seamus has a new family... :( EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 1:25 pm

For you to realize that for Seamus and found him an exceptional home says a lot about you, Kristina. As hard as it was to let him go, I hope you find comfort that you truly did Seamus right. This says nothing but that you truly cared for Seamus and wanted simply the best for him.

Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Seamus has a new family... :(   Seamus has a new family... :( EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 2:30 pm

This was so touching to read. I absolutely agree with you! You made a hard decision and are such a strong heartfelt person. I teared up towards the end. I'm so happy you found Seamus a wonderful home with such a great family. I give major props to you and have a lot of respect for you for making such a hard but good decision.
Back to top Go down
Mermaidista
Teenager
Teenager
Mermaidista

Female Join date : 2012-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Seamus has a new family... :(   Seamus has a new family... :( EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 2:35 pm

cmanding wrote:
For you to realize that for Seamus and found him an exceptional home says a lot about you, Kristina. As hard as it was to let him go, I hope you find comfort that you truly did Seamus right. This says nothing but that you truly cared for Seamus and wanted simply the best for him.

I agree! Don't worry about what other people "might" think. He clearly loves this family and he needed to be in the right place.

I once had taken in a stray black cat and he fought viciously with the cat I had. I had a lady, who runs a cat rescue, actually tell me to keep them in separate rooms, and I should never give the cat up! That is no life for either of the cats to me! I chose to trust my gut, and adopted out the black cat with a cat rescue at Petsmart to a lady who just fell in love with him.

Sometimes, what is best for an animal isn't what is best for us, or what society thinks is best.

You did the right thing, and you know that! That's all that matters!
Back to top Go down
http://seaside.scentsy.us
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Seamus has a new family... :(   Seamus has a new family... :( EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 2:44 pm

OMG! I had no idea! It sounds like he's with a really great family now. I know the feeling. I think a lot of my mom's dogs would be better off as a family's only dog or with just one other dog. That's most of the reason why we limit ourselves on how many cats and dogs we are willing to own. And I actually think my cats would be happier if they were only cats (they fight quite often), but I just can't bring myself to rehome them. You have more courage than me. I'm so happy you found such a good home for him!

Seamus has a new family... :( Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Seamus has a new family... :(   Seamus has a new family... :( EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 4:35 pm

It sounds like you did the right thing for Seamus. To realize he needed more and to have the courage to find him a new home shows how much you really care for him, you just wanted what was best for him!
Back to top Go down
SiberianAnubis
Adult
Adult
SiberianAnubis

Male Join date : 2010-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Seamus has a new family... :(   Seamus has a new family... :( EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 10:30 am

It really sounds like you went to war with yourself to make this decision, and it seems to be the right one for Seamus, so it doesn´t matter what others think about it, as long as oyu know that you did the right thing..
Although it must be alot of pain, he is happy now.
Back to top Go down
Erinc
Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

PostSubject: Re: Seamus has a new family... :(   Seamus has a new family... :( EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 10:47 am

Hey, Seamus is happy right? Deep down, what makes our kids happy makes us happy too Smile You've found a great family for him, and what makes it even more perfect, is that you sound like you get on with that family too - so you could always visit Seamus to say hello and see how great he is doing! Massive kudos to you - If I were in the same situation, Im not sure I could pluck up the courage to the same thing, even if it is the right thing to do!
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Seamus has a new family... :(   Seamus has a new family... :( EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 11:05 am

Omg I didn't know. We all know how much you LOVE your animals and for to make such a difficult decision shows that you TRULY felt that Seamus wasn't fully happy with your pack.

This made me ball at my desk Sad but I'm so happy that you found him a great family that loves him and LOVES you for that matter. That's awesome!!!

Hugs from me, lots of licks from Mya, and OH LOTS of whiny woos from Kody! Razz
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Seamus has a new family... :(   Seamus has a new family... :( EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 11:33 am

Kristina did u really think we would give u a hard time about finding seamus a new home? We all know how much u love and care for all ur dogs and I'm with everyone else and u did a brave thing, its not like u dumped him somewhere, u spent time and love finding him a great new home! And for u to see that he needed that takes a hole lot of truly knowing ones dogs. U did the best thing for all involved, and we still love you!

Last edited by jbealer on Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Seamus has a new family... :(   Seamus has a new family... :( EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 12:36 pm

Kristina I definitely think you did the right thing for Seamus, he's a one dog family kinda dog, and he's happy now. You did a great thing for him and found him an awesome home and I'm sure he appreciates it Smile
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: Seamus has a new family... :(   Seamus has a new family... :( EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 5:14 pm

You guys are awesome, I love you all! When it warms up they're going to come down and go to the dog lake by us. I'll be sure to post some pictures.

Back to top Go down
capblossoms
Teenager
Teenager
capblossoms

Female Join date : 2011-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Seamus has a new family... :(   Seamus has a new family... :( EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 5:22 pm

I have also had to rehome a dog. It's NEVER easy, but sometimes it's the best thing to do. You did the right thing!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Seamus has a new family... :(   Seamus has a new family... :( EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 5:39 pm

I haven't read all the responses but had to say I'm sorry you've struggled so much with this, Kristina. Anything done in the best interest of Seamus is absolutely the right thing to do and of course we support and applaud you for having what it takes to do right by him. Yeah I do think dogs are a lifetime commitment but that doesn't mean in a certain home/situation. You HAVE made a lifetime commitment to Seamus by doing whatever it takes/took to find the best possible life for him. I'm sad that he is no longer with you but happy to know that he is in a great home and is hopefully living life to his fullest potential now with all his needs being met. I do believe everything happens for a reason, Seamus came into your life needing help and you've more than given it to him. I'll be looking forward to hearing updates on him whenever you receive them from his family. Smile

Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: Seamus has a new family... :(   Seamus has a new family... :( EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 8:57 pm

the key to any dog is for them to be truly happy. Never worry about what others "think" of you because you did what was best for him. I agree with everyone else on here. It is not an easy for anyone to give up a dog. Fostering dogs is tough, but its great when you run into the families that have the dog you took care of and love them and can't stop talking about them. That is the greatest return of your time and effort with them.

Kudos on recognizing that you were not fulfilling his needs and found one!
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Seamus has a new family... :(   Seamus has a new family... :( EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 9:07 pm

Kristina, it really sounds like you have put Seamus's interests first. It must have been really hard to do. He looks very happy in his new home.
Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Seamus has a new family... :(   Seamus has a new family... :( EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 11:34 pm

I really can't agree more with everyone else who posted. And thank you to Val and Jenn for so accurately reflecting what I would only hope our staff here would feel Smile

Kristina, you know how much I admire and respect you. I would hope that you would know that I trust your instincts and therefore know beyond a shadow of a doubt that this was the best move for Seamus. You don't rescue 5 dogs just to give one up on a whim. I know how hard this must be for you, but hearing your story and seeing that picture, I know that Seamus is truly happy and this was the BEST move for him. You will still be in his life and it sounds like you found the perfect family.

Kudos to you for making the tough choice and I hope you know that we will always support what is best for the animal, even if it doesn't seem so obvious at first.

We love you I love you

Seamus has a new family... :( Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Kiyonai
Teenager
Teenager
Kiyonai

Female Join date : 2012-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Seamus has a new family... :(   Seamus has a new family... :( EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 12:17 am

I agree with everyone else and I cannot believe your family isn't more supportive.... sometimes dogs need to be in another place to be happy and it sure sounds like you have found that. I think you did the best thing possible, and the fact that you are able to go see him periodically and keep in contact with him essentially is awesome.
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Seamus has a new family... :(   Seamus has a new family... :( EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 12:32 am

Kristina - YOU out of anyone I've ever "known" - would do ANYTHING for a dog. It's very evident even though I haven't met you in person. No one here would ever judge you. You've provided a wonderful life for Seamus - and I remember you posted about his medical issues (tail surgery?). That picture says it all! Seamus has his own little boy and is sooo happy! Smile
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: Seamus has a new family... :(   Seamus has a new family... :( EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 4:05 am

Aw thank you all so much for your kind words... It really means so much. I'm sad, I miss him! But I know how happy he is with a housefull of kids who love him.

Sam he had a big weight problem when I got him (which subsequently led to his weaker knees) and was heart worm positive. His tail thing came later after door dashing at work... Rolling Eyes crazy Border Collie.

Back to top Go down
Dee&Frankie
Adult
Adult
Dee&Frankie

Female Join date : 2011-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Seamus has a new family... :(   Seamus has a new family... :( EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 10:04 am

I had no idea Kristina. I know that this is a decision that you would not take lightly. The fact that you waited until you found the perfect match speaks volumes. Recognizing that you were not meeting his needs and finding the family that could is one of the most selfless acts I could think of. I know you will miss him but have comfort knowing that he is loved and happy.
Back to top Go down
Domingo
Teenager
Teenager
Domingo

PostSubject: Re: Seamus has a new family... :(   Seamus has a new family... :( EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 11:09 am

Doing what's best isn't always the most popular opinion. People hear and think what they want, but, a long as you know you did what's best for your family, be happy with it. It sounds like this was the best answer.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: Seamus has a new family... :(   Seamus has a new family... :( EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 11:13 pm

Just an update... Megan got Seamus CGC certified a few weeks ago and is taking him to become a certified therapy dog next weekend. She's planning on having him participate in the Tail Waggin Tutors Reading programs which helps kids who are struggling to read.

I'm crying i'm so happy. This is the perfect life for him, 100%

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Seamus has a new family... :(   Seamus has a new family... :( Empty

Back to top Go down

Seamus has a new family... :(

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next