It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Okami got bit. (Warning- Quasi-graphic images)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

Okami got bit. (Warning- Quasi-graphic images) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Okami got bit. (Warning- Quasi-graphic images)   Okami got bit. (Warning- Quasi-graphic images) - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 9:14 pm

Poor girl! Ouch! Hope it heals quickly!

Wish we all lived close together. We could have a big husky meet up and help socialize pups in need! One of my friend's dogs is really shy around other dogs. I've been taking my two over to her house to help socialize her (not that my two are the best candidates for that. they can be real bullies sometimes). It's slowly helping. We did take her to the dog park once. She was a bit fearful, but we kept a good eye on her and thankfully the other dogs there were good. Do you have any friends with dogs you can set up play dates with? Any good dog classes offered in your area? Those are always good places for dogs to meet each other.

Okami got bit. (Warning- Quasi-graphic images) - Page 2 Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Okami got bit. (Warning- Quasi-graphic images)   Okami got bit. (Warning- Quasi-graphic images) - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 9:16 pm

I had almost the same injury and the same way with my husky before Bodhi. It was another leashed husky. My dog was on a leash too. I asked if they could say hello. The owner said yes, and without provocation, the other dog bit Tasha in the face. "He plays rough," was all the owner said.

When I saw the blood near his eye, I split and didn't get the attacking dog owner's name. We were at the beach and drove home so our regular vet could check out my dog. She had to get stitches, and I had a similar vet bill too. Tasha healed up fine.

But the situation is maddening. I completely understand, having been there!
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Okami got bit. (Warning- Quasi-graphic images)   Okami got bit. (Warning- Quasi-graphic images) - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 9:47 pm

Legend_of_Faolan wrote:
Koda wrote:

If Okami isn't socialized, don't bring her to the dog park.

I have never understood why people say this, and I have run across a lot of people that do. I think most dogs that go to a dog park for the first time that have never been in a group of free-roaming dogs before aren't confident enough to be considered "socialized" to the dog park, and the only way they will gain confidence is to keep going! I have been taking Faolan to the dog park nearly every day since he was 4 months old but it took an entire month before he was comfortable interacting with crowds of other dogs. He will still take cover underneath a picnic table if he runs across an overbearing dog that he's intimidated by!
You missed my point. You don't need to "know" that your dog is completely comfortable or good off-leash. The idea is that you socialize your dog with other dogs in like circumstances. Leashed to leashed, free to free. You take a very large risk mixing the two together. My point was to socialize Okami well with other leashed dogs, and then let her run free and test the waters without being leashed in the dog park. You can't put her (or any dog) in a situation that will make them feel vulnerable and insecure and expect her and every other dog to walk away from it without a scuffle. If you want to leash your dog (which I clearly advise doing) the fenced in dog park is NOT the place.

Ghost wrote:
At the dog parks here, on-leash dogs aren't allowed in. Even if Okami is fine that way, unfortunately other dogs might not be. They might be aggressive towards her because she is on a leash, and you have to protect her from that.
Bingo. That is exactly what I am trying to say. Thank you Smile

Okami got bit. (Warning- Quasi-graphic images) - Page 2 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Okami got bit. (Warning- Quasi-graphic images)   Okami got bit. (Warning- Quasi-graphic images) - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 9:51 pm

Poor baby! Hope she heals up quickly. We don't go to dog parks anymore, I've seen too many fights and WAY too many stupid owners.
Back to top Go down
Legend_of_Faolan
Teenager
Teenager
Legend_of_Faolan

Female Join date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Okami got bit. (Warning- Quasi-graphic images)   Okami got bit. (Warning- Quasi-graphic images) - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 9:52 pm

Koda wrote:
Legend_of_Faolan wrote:
Koda wrote:

If Okami isn't socialized, don't bring her to the dog park.

I have never understood why people say this, and I have run across a lot of people that do. I think most dogs that go to a dog park for the first time that have never been in a group of free-roaming dogs before aren't confident enough to be considered "socialized" to the dog park, and the only way they will gain confidence is to keep going! I have been taking Faolan to the dog park nearly every day since he was 4 months old but it took an entire month before he was comfortable interacting with crowds of other dogs. He will still take cover underneath a picnic table if he runs across an overbearing dog that he's intimidated by!
You missed my point. You don't need to "know" that your dog is completely comfortable or good off-leash. The idea is that you socialize your dog with other dogs in like circumstances. Leashed to leashed, free to free. You take a very large risk mixing the two together. My point was to socialize Okami well with other leashed dogs, and then let her run free and test the waters without being leashed in the dog park. You can't put her (or any dog) in a situation that will make them feel vulnerable and insecure and expect her and every other dog to walk away from it without a scuffle. If you want to leash your dog (which I clearly advise doing) the fenced in dog park is NOT the place.

Ah, I took that sentence literally the way it was phrased, and it didn't include the leashed vs not leashed bit.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Okami got bit. (Warning- Quasi-graphic images)   Okami got bit. (Warning- Quasi-graphic images) - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 9:55 pm

Wink

Back to top Go down
Muddy~Mira
Adult
Adult
Muddy~Mira

Female Join date : 2010-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Okami got bit. (Warning- Quasi-graphic images)   Okami got bit. (Warning- Quasi-graphic images) - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 1:24 pm

How is She today ?
Back to top Go down
anarkii
Newborn
Newborn
anarkii

Male Join date : 2011-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Okami got bit. (Warning- Quasi-graphic images)   Okami got bit. (Warning- Quasi-graphic images) - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 1:51 pm

Wow! hope Okami is doing okay!

Back to top Go down
tyler999
Newborn
Newborn
tyler999

Male Join date : 2012-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Okami got bit. (Warning- Quasi-graphic images)   Okami got bit. (Warning- Quasi-graphic images) - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 3:25 pm

Muddy~Mira wrote:
How is She today ?

Thanks for asking. She's doing just fine, except that she was pawing at the stitches so I had to put the cone of shame (Elizabethan collar) on her. She isn't a fan. But it looks to be healing up well. Hopefully in a week or so it should be totally closed.
She did wake me up today by getting right in my face, as usual, only this time I got a plastic collar hitting me in the forehead. ;p
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Okami got bit. (Warning- Quasi-graphic images)   Okami got bit. (Warning- Quasi-graphic images) - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 3:47 pm

tyler999 wrote:
Muddy~Mira wrote:
How is She today ?
Thanks for asking. She's doing just fine, except that she was pawing at the stitches so I had to put the cone of shame (Elizabethan collar) on her. She isn't a fan. But it looks to be healing up well. Hopefully in a week or so it should be totally closed.
Did the vet give her pain killers or an anti-inflamatory? That usually helped Koda when he had his stitches. Also, get some triple-antibiotic ointment and apply 2x day. That will help with the healing and itching. And triple-antibiotic ointment will not hinder the skin growth (ie- it won't keep it "too moist too heal" like some other products do).

Back to top Go down
Muddy~Mira
Adult
Adult
Muddy~Mira

Female Join date : 2010-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Okami got bit. (Warning- Quasi-graphic images)   Okami got bit. (Warning- Quasi-graphic images) - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 3:48 pm

lol! Glad she is doin Better .. Ha Yeah The Cone of Shame for SUre They really do heal Fast .. This was My icons 2 wks Later Perfect !
here is Icons N Mira Ouchies Both Perfect Now .. Stupid Huskies Girls They both did it to each other LOL

Okami got bit. (Warning- Quasi-graphic images) - Page 2 2011-10-03_19-17-07_100

Okami got bit. (Warning- Quasi-graphic images) - Page 2 286823_10150259775028124_733943123_7691539_5091411_o
Back to top Go down
tyler999
Newborn
Newborn
tyler999

PostSubject: Re: Okami got bit. (Warning- Quasi-graphic images)   Okami got bit. (Warning- Quasi-graphic images) - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 5:16 pm

Koda wrote:

Did the vet give her pain killers or an anti-inflamatory? That usually helped Koda when he had his stitches. Also, get some triple-antibiotic ointment and apply 2x day. That will help with the healing and itching. And triple-antibiotic ointment will not hinder the skin growth (ie- it won't keep it "too moist too heal" like some other products do).

The vet gave her some painkiller/anti-inflammatory pills. She also gave some anti-biotic pills that Okami takes every 12 hours. I inquired about using Neosporin or another topical ointment and she said not to, but I got the sense it was more from doctor/vet arrogance ("I didn't prescribe it so it must not be optimal") than good sense.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Okami got bit. (Warning- Quasi-graphic images)   Okami got bit. (Warning- Quasi-graphic images) - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 6:36 pm

tyler999 wrote:
Koda wrote:

The vet gave her some painkiller/anti-inflammatory pills. She also gave some anti-biotic pills that Okami takes every 12 hours. I inquired about using Neosporin or another topical ointment and she said not to, but I got the sense it was more from doctor/vet arrogance ("I didn't prescribe it so it must not be optimal") than good sense.
Oh, hmm...maybe? My vet recommended it and I asked if it would delay the healing process because it doesn't allow the skin to scab over and he said, "Triple-antibiotic ointment does not hinder skin grown or the healing process, so feel free to use it. I recommend two times a day."

Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Okami got bit. (Warning- Quasi-graphic images)   Okami got bit. (Warning- Quasi-graphic images) - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 6:43 pm

Neosporin is fine to use, even neomysin is ok as well. I hope Okami is doing better. I hate seeing other people's babies hurt Sad
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
SiberianAnubis
Adult
Adult
SiberianAnubis

Male Join date : 2010-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Okami got bit. (Warning- Quasi-graphic images)   Okami got bit. (Warning- Quasi-graphic images) - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 18, 2012 10:13 am

If it was the dogs fault or not doesn´t matter, fact is the owner does not have control over his dog so he should be on leash in general.
Back to top Go down
tyler999
Newborn
Newborn
tyler999

PostSubject: Re: Okami got bit. (Warning- Quasi-graphic images)   Okami got bit. (Warning- Quasi-graphic images) - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 1:30 pm

Okami got bit. (Warning- Quasi-graphic images) - Page 2 Photo3-1

You can still see the stitches under her eye, but obviously she is doing fine. Interestingly enough, the statue in the background is Jizo Bodhisattva- a japanese buddhist deity who is, among other things, the "patron saint" of animals.
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Okami got bit. (Warning- Quasi-graphic images)   Okami got bit. (Warning- Quasi-graphic images) - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 2:05 pm

tyler999 wrote:
Okami got bit. (Warning- Quasi-graphic images) - Page 2 Photo3-1

the statue in the background is Jizo Bodhisattva- a japanese buddhist deity who is, among other things, the "patron saint" of animals.

I'll stick with St. Francis its easier to pronounce. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Okami got bit. (Warning- Quasi-graphic images)   Okami got bit. (Warning- Quasi-graphic images) - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Okami got bit. (Warning- Quasi-graphic images)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2