It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Lisa's Sad Gardening Thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

Lisa's Sad Gardening Thread - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lisa's Sad Gardening Thread   Lisa's Sad Gardening Thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 18, 2011 12:04 pm

It is truly a SAD day!! I had a deer invasion last night!! They enjoyed some of my huge hostas for their midnight snack... nasty little deer!! I usually put Milorganite around my plants, but I guess my brain was just not with it this Spring and I forgot to do this.

Poor little baby hosta...
Lisa's Sad Gardening Thread - Page 2 Img_0616
Back to top Go down
snrose
Adult
Adult
snrose

Female Join date : 2010-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Lisa's Sad Gardening Thread   Lisa's Sad Gardening Thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 18, 2011 2:31 pm

Sad
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Lisa's Sad Gardening Thread   Lisa's Sad Gardening Thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 18, 2011 8:31 pm

Aww, that stinks. Hopefully your little hosta will recover. Deer are a big concern of mine too as the woods around our house are full of them. I've been lucky so far, plus my whole backyard is fenced so at least the plants in my backyard are semi-protected.

Adult
Adult
snrose

Female Join date : 2010-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Lisa's Sad Gardening Thread   Lisa's Sad Gardening Thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 18, 2011 10:02 pm

all i have to worry about around here are groundhogs and rabbits (which is why i haven't planted a veggie garden yet Sad)
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

PostSubject: Re: Lisa's Sad Gardening Thread   Lisa's Sad Gardening Thread - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 19, 2011 11:31 pm

I have been VERY negligent... with both updates here and taking pictures. I've missed pics of alot of stuff. The astilbe bloomed (what stalks the deer did not eat), the lilac is done showing off and the daylilies have come and gone all without pics. Here's a few old pics and a pic of the area we mulched on Saturday.
My weird "not really a dogwood but looks like one" tree:
Lisa's Sad Gardening Thread - Page 2 Img_1019
I love this rose but don't know its variety since it came with the house.
Lisa's Sad Gardening Thread - Page 2 Img_1020
Huge area to mulch (BTW, Sabaka potties here, so no brown grass spots!):
Lisa's Sad Gardening Thread - Page 2 Img_1310
Creepy visitor!!
Lisa's Sad Gardening Thread - Page 2 Img_1110

The hostas are huge! Daisies and Black-eyed Susans will be opening soon! And I have the first blooms on a snowball bush that I chopped down thinking it was a weed two years ago! I'll have to take more pics for sure...
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Lisa's Sad Gardening Thread   Lisa's Sad Gardening Thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 5:05 pm

Aww, that stinks you didn't get pics while everything was blooming! Sad Eww I hate snakes in the worst way and since it's warmed up here I am seeing them more and more frequently.

I would love to know what the plant in the first pic is, you have any idea? Oh and the roses you have are gorgeous! I love the color!

My goodness you have a lot of area to mulch over! How many yards did you end up needing? We want to change all the pinestraw in our beds to cypress mulch this fall and it seems daunting enough when we only need about 12 yards I think.

Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Lisa's Sad Gardening Thread   Lisa's Sad Gardening Thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 5:12 pm

great pics on the first 2 you posted. i love the not a dogwood but looks like a dogwood. wounder what it is....
after forgetting to take pictures last year i have taken a hell of a lot this year Smile my daises have started to bloom but something is eating the lower leaves.

Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

PostSubject: Re: Lisa's Sad Gardening Thread   Lisa's Sad Gardening Thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 9:18 pm

Some new color that's showing up in my yard in spite of the oppressive heat!! It may have topped 100 degrees for the record today. My outside thermometer was showing 102 degrees in the full sun!
Here goes....
I LOVE all types of daisies!
Lisa's Sad Gardening Thread - Page 2 Img_1410
This snowball bush has a few issues. I cut it back assuming it was a weed a couple years ago. Last year it had no flowers. This year it's better... not just not right....
Lisa's Sad Gardening Thread - Page 2 Img_1411
I try to plant indigenous plants when I can because they often do better. I guess they naturally tolerate the climate and often are local animal resistant.
Lisa's Sad Gardening Thread - Page 2 Img_1412
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Lisa's Sad Gardening Thread   Lisa's Sad Gardening Thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 9:25 pm

I LOVE those daisies!

Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Lisa's Sad Gardening Thread   Lisa's Sad Gardening Thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 9:34 pm

oh are those Black-eyed Susan's on the bottom?
thats the one thing i have not planted that i want to, maybe my back front bed i still need to build will get them.

i cut some of my daises over the weekend to have inside its nice to do that Smile

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Lisa's Sad Gardening Thread   Lisa's Sad Gardening Thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 10:13 pm

Love the daisies! Heck, I love them all. Thanks for taking some pics of the flowers this time! Smile

Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

PostSubject: Re: Lisa's Sad Gardening Thread   Lisa's Sad Gardening Thread - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 13, 2011 1:12 am

Jenn, the daisies you see in this picture are indeed now inside! Very Happy

If you look closely you can see the buds for the next round which has just begun to bloom this week (these pics were taken last week). I think cutting the first blooms off before they expend any energy producing seeds will help the new blooms grow bigger and better.

And those are Black-Eyed Susans at the mailbox. They are taking over a daylily (barely seen on the right of the picture) and some sedum planted near the road (not in the picture).

It's really been fun following these gardens with you guys (and seeing your's as well)!
Back to top Go down
gladahmae
Teenager
Teenager
gladahmae

Female Join date : 2012-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Lisa's Sad Gardening Thread   Lisa's Sad Gardening Thread - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 5:15 pm

holy crow!! You have a Korean Dogwood???
<<< Super jealous over here. They're borderline for my zone. If I lived closer to Lake Michigan I'd be sorely tempted to attempt growing one. I used to work at a golf course on the maintainence crew, and as the course was practically next to the lake, there were 3 of them there. They were all about 20ft tall, and so incredibly pretty. I think you can eat the fruit....but would consult Dr. Google about that before trying. Wink
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

PostSubject: Re: Lisa's Sad Gardening Thread   Lisa's Sad Gardening Thread - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 7:39 pm

gladahmae wrote:
holy crow!! You have a Korean Dogwood???
<<< Super jealous over here. They're borderline for my zone. If I lived closer to Lake Michigan I'd be sorely tempted to attempt growing one. I used to work at a golf course on the maintainence crew, and as the course was practically next to the lake, there were 3 of them there. They were all about 20ft tall, and so incredibly pretty. I think you can eat the fruit....but would consult Dr. Google about that before trying. Wink

Why, yes, I guess I do! LOL!
I have been calling it "not a dogwood but looks like a dogwood" tree. The fruit is quite messy and, I have heard, edible.

The first year we lived here it had only a few blooms on it. Last spring it was covered in blooms! I wonder what made the difference? It blooms much later than the neighborhood American dogwoods.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lisa's Sad Gardening Thread   Lisa's Sad Gardening Thread - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Lisa's Sad Gardening Thread

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2