It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

New Husky WT and nutrition questions

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tbrown16
Newborn
Newborn

New Husky WT and nutrition questions Empty
PostSubject: New Husky WT and nutrition questions   New Husky WT and nutrition questions EmptyWed May 25, 2016 10:54 pm

. I just got my Husky 2days ago. They showed me papers of the parents showing they were purebred. I was just wondering your opinion my the looks of her. I'll post a pic. We got her young but they were selling her regardless and we gave her a good home. The first day she was a bit shy and sleepy. Now she is getting a lot more comfortable and playful. Eating much better. We took her to the vet to get her first shot and she said we needed to feed her more because she weighs 3.7lbs. The owner said she just turned 6 weeks. Today we have just left the food bowl out so she can eat as much as she wants along with giving treats for good behavior. Such as pottying outside. I have looked a lot of places trying to find a growth chart for a female husky puppy. We want her to be healthy! Thanks for the input!New Husky WT and nutrition questions Image18
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: New Husky WT and nutrition questions   New Husky WT and nutrition questions EmptyThu May 26, 2016 12:55 am

Tbrown...it would far easier for us to help you by telling us what you are currently feeding, and how much you are feeding and how many times a day you are feeding. Did you read the entire or most of the thread I linked you to get an idea on how much other people's new pups weighed? She looks healthy and if the vet seems to think all she needs is some weight gain, this is the place to get answers, but first we need to know what I asked to help.
Back to top Go down
whitehusky3
Teenager
Teenager
whitehusky3

Female Join date : 2016-02-10

PostSubject: Re: New Husky WT and nutrition questions   New Husky WT and nutrition questions EmptyThu May 26, 2016 3:40 pm

She is a beautiful puppy! Do you know how much the parents weighed? Sometimes the smaller size can be explained if the parents are on the small side.

I also second what Renee said about letting us know what you're feeding and how much. If you're feeding puppy food, you'll want to start with the amount recommended on the bag and adjust from there. If you're feeding an all life stages food and it doesn't tell the amount to give puppies, you generally want to double the amount recommended for a dog of the puppy's size. That's a good starting point, and then adjust accordingly if your puppy gets too fat or skinny.

With Suka, I found the amount recommended on the bag was way too much for him. It suggested 4 cups of dog food, but Suka only needed two cups per day. If I gave him more, he got fat quickly. Most foods do recommend way more than what the puppy needs. When I was feeding Suka an all life stages food (before I switched him to a puppy-specific brand), he needed three cups per day.
Back to top Go down
Tbrown16
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: New Husky WT and nutrition questions   New Husky WT and nutrition questions EmptyThu May 26, 2016 8:30 pm

Thanks for the advice. I am not sure the parents size they did not tell me. I have been feeding her a 10oz of Purina beneful chopped blends along with about a cup of Authority puppy dry food. I also give her treats through the day. It seems she is doing good now. We have had her since Monday. The vet said to leave food out for her at all times because she was a little small when we took her to get her shots. She is eating very well.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: New Husky WT and nutrition questions   New Husky WT and nutrition questions EmptyFri May 27, 2016 2:47 am

Ok do not hate me for what I am about to recommend.................Stop feeding the purina beneful, it is not good for them at all and is also geared for adult dogs.

If you are feeding the Authority grain free puppy then that is fairly good, that one I would continue to feed, BUT only the grain free. I would feed 1/2 cup 3 times a day, when she hits 10 pounds feed 1/2 cup 4 times a day. To supplement and to add weight, and since you are feeding Authority then feed their ground entree puppy food it's a green can, they make chicken and also lamb and you should be able to rotate those two, split the one can a day into 3 meals. You could use the other can puppy, but this one had a few less ingredients, so either I guess is ok, and far better than the beneful. Once puppy is 10-12 weeks old slowly ween off the can, especially if over 15 pounds. My pup at 10 weeks old was on kibble only and weighed a little over 11 pounds, so a good age and weight to work with. If puppy starts having super soft poops back off of the can first, the 13 ounce can 1 full can a day, and the other 6 ounce can 2 cans a day, again back off on the can food if mushy poop. The key is to get over 10 pounds at around 10 weeks, and eventually feed kibble only. Good luck...you have an adorable baby, and let us know how she is doing, or if you have any more questions.
Back to top Go down
Tbrown16
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: New Husky WT and nutrition questions   New Husky WT and nutrition questions EmptyFri May 27, 2016 1:48 pm

Thank you! The authority is a grain free puppy food. I will continue feeding her that. I will switch from beneful to a different kind that's grain free. I'm going now to pet smart to check out the authority canned food.  Is there any specific brand other then authority  food that you would recommend for her or is this a pretty good brand?
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: New Husky WT and nutrition questions   New Husky WT and nutrition questions EmptyFri May 27, 2016 3:20 pm

The dry grain free puppy ranked a 4.5 out of 5 star on dog food advisor, and both can puppy food of Authorities ranked 3.5, so I think you are good with Authority can, I just recommend weening off of can and feeding all kibble at around 10-12 weeks old, or over 10 pounds, which ever comes first.
Back to top Go down
whitehusky3
Teenager
Teenager
whitehusky3

Female Join date : 2016-02-10

PostSubject: Re: New Husky WT and nutrition questions   New Husky WT and nutrition questions EmptyWed Jun 01, 2016 1:24 pm

I overlooked the part about feeding Beneful. That food is awful! Normally, I don't care if a person chooses to feed the cheaper dog foods. Buy the best food you can afford is my motto. Some people don't have $80 to drop on a bag of food. That's why I loved Victor. It was a great quality food around $40. Anyway, the reason I hate Beneful is because literally every single dog I've ever known that was fed Beneful also had serious health problems. And those health problems cleared up when the dog's food was swapped to soemthing else. So definitely see if you can find an alternative specifically for puppies or all life stages.
Back to top Go down
HuskyLear
Senior
Senior
HuskyLear

Female Join date : 2013-02-21

PostSubject: Re: New Husky WT and nutrition questions   New Husky WT and nutrition questions EmptyWed Jun 01, 2016 2:15 pm

Ditto the suggestion to wean off the mix that includes Beneful and go to full feeding on Authority.You can check out www.dogfoodadvisor.com to check out good foods looking for four star and higher. There are a lot of good ones even in the little bit lower price point. They might not be 80 some cents a pound like Beneful but closer to the Authority pricing. But you should be able to feed all Authority. Was there a reason you were feeding two different foods?

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Husky WT and nutrition questions   New Husky WT and nutrition questions Empty

Back to top Go down

New Husky WT and nutrition questions

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1