It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Moving again

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
acrazyhuman
Newborn
Newborn
acrazyhuman

Female Join date : 2015-11-03

Moving again Empty
PostSubject: Moving again   Moving again EmptyTue Nov 03, 2015 2:15 pm

Ok, so I couldn't find where else to post this and I hope this is the right place.
We are moving, gotta be in the new apartment by the end of November. I'm kinda nervous since it's going to be her 5th time moving. When we first got her we didn't have a chance to prepare and kinda worked things out along the way. It wasn't easy for her, she was scared and confused, and I don't want her to go through the same again.
Do you have any tips on how to introduce her to our new home in the most pleasant way possible?
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

Moving again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Moving again   Moving again EmptyTue Nov 03, 2015 3:36 pm

When we moved I didn't let kenzi into the new place until most of our stuff was in there so that she had familiar items. She's had a security blanket of sorts since we got her and a week before the move I got it out and she started sleeping on it then when we moved I laid the blanket down in the living room of the new house. I think for us it was about not leaving her alone for long periods of time in the new place for the first few days, but taking everything with you that she finds familiar will help. Descent the new place before you take her in if at all possible.

Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

Moving again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Moving again   Moving again EmptyTue Nov 03, 2015 6:29 pm

Unlike Jenn (who I respect as much more professional than I) when I've had to move, the dogs were a part of the moving.  When I was in the new place, the dogs were there with me; ditto as I moved out of the old place, the dogs were there.  

Like Jenn, I moved some things with which they would be familiar early in the move so that this became home.  
My move from Houston to Terlingua (roughly 800 miles) was done in several trips but each time we stopped (in Houston packing) or in Terlingua we were there for at least a couple of days.

This may sound odd, but when I move with dogs, I treat them as if they were kids and they're as much a part of the move as possible.  I'm open for a difference of opinion on this, but I think a 'fait accompli' is not the way to make the move ... dogs (like some people) don't understand or like change and springing it on them after the fact is confusing.

Personally, since she's been in so many different places, I'd think that the comfort of being with you as much as possible during the transition would be beneficial.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

Moving again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Moving again   Moving again EmptyTue Nov 03, 2015 11:11 pm

I'm going to agree with Al on this one, I've had a couple of big moves and one local move coming up, and aside from keeping them out of the way of the movers, they've more or less been a part of the process. Keep out her special toys and get some super high value treats, and just give her lots of love and attention as you move.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Moving again 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
acrazyhuman
Newborn
Newborn
acrazyhuman

Moving again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Moving again   Moving again EmptyWed Nov 04, 2015 7:24 am

Thank you all so much. I think that since she is not that good with change (understandably) we are going to take her with us every time we go there, so she can get used to it.
I was thinking of having play time there a couple of times before we are completely moved in, is that a good idea? Maybe bringing a different toy every time and then leaving it there, so when we go back she sees it?
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Moving again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Moving again   Moving again EmptyWed Nov 04, 2015 10:27 am

Those both sound like excellent ideas in my book. The idea, of course, is to help her see that the change is okay, that she's not going to be left with someone she doesn't know and that you're going to be there too.

Back to top Go down
Rumflower
Adult
Adult
Rumflower

Female Join date : 2015-06-16

Moving again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Moving again   Moving again EmptyWed Nov 04, 2015 11:31 am

At the risk of sounding like a quack I always felt that they fed off us emotionally. If everyone is tense and stressed they'll get stressed too. I always just treated things like that like it's no big deal. It's good to spend a little time and put a little more care into her, but if you fret too much I think they start to worry. In other words just relax, everything will be just fine.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Moving again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Moving again   Moving again EmptyWed Nov 04, 2015 2:12 pm

Danielle, yep!! It's really amazing how much they react to our emotions!

Back to top Go down
acrazyhuman
Newborn
Newborn
acrazyhuman

Moving again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Moving again   Moving again EmptyWed Nov 04, 2015 2:31 pm

I know, at some point I figured that sometimes I have to put myself in time out, so I don't stress her put. I sit alone for a couple of minutes and then come back. She then snuggles next to me and starts licking my hand. It's ridiculous how well they understand us.
Anyways, thanks for the tips, hopefully it'll go smoothly and Alexa will love our new home.
Back to top Go down
lepp1892
Teenager
Teenager
lepp1892

Male Join date : 2014-02-18

Moving again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Moving again   Moving again EmptyWed Nov 04, 2015 2:48 pm

Gabby is really OK with new places. We just treated it like it wasn't a big deal and it was fine. The cats on the other hand hate change so that was more difficult. Since we got Gabby we have taken her lots of places so new places are always exciting for her and she always just goes right into her normal wacky self. For reference, Gabby has lived 5 places for at least a month in the year and 8 months we have had her.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Moving again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Moving again   Moving again Empty

Back to top Go down

Moving again

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1