It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Fleas and Ticks season

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
SIMBA_SH
Puppy
Puppy
SIMBA_SH

Male Join date : 2013-10-29

Fleas and Ticks season Empty
PostSubject: Fleas and Ticks season   Fleas and Ticks season EmptyThu Apr 24, 2014 3:29 am

since its its almost summer and am a new dog owner i have been wondering about the fleas and ticks issues. ive posted a topic up b4 but it was for a flea n ticks repellent. so i was wondering i bought a small bottle of soap the brand is top paws from petsmart it says kills fleas n ticks but does that really work? and i heard that dawn dish soap also get rid of fleas is that true? and which soap would u recommend for getting rid of fleas n ticks just in case my dog get it?
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Fleas and Ticks season   Fleas and Ticks season EmptyThu Apr 24, 2014 11:30 am

i would not use Dawn dish soap on a dog - it will really strip the oils from his fur. Best flea prevention is one of the topical spot-ons - I use Revolution, is prescription (and one of the more expensive brands but it protects against heartworm, ear mites, fleas, mange (I use this one specifically because it protects from sarcoptic mange - we have large fox population, mange remains in soil forever, I've had fox babies born in my foundation, fox died in my compost pile etc). Check with your vet for which one is recommended in your area. Ticks are a different story - supposedly some of the spot on tx are protective against ticks but in my limited experience, not very expensive. I use preventix collar.

Other people on the forum have good ideas, also.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Fleas and Ticks season   Fleas and Ticks season EmptyThu Apr 24, 2014 11:47 am

Dawn does kill fleas but I wouldn't particularly use it unless there was already an infestation.

I wouldn't say that topicals are the "best flea prevention" (quoting Amy here). There is no one "best" product but depending on what you are comparing, some things are better than others. I, for one, have used Revolution in the past and hated it, my dog still got fleas on it so what works for some may not necessarily work for others...that applies to almost everything in life though.

The show breeder that Prince comes from actually uses the Dawn Hand Renewal dish soap for her dogs once a month. Not for fleas but because she really likes the results she gets with her dogs' coats. She specializes in the long coat Chihuahua. She recommended what she uses to me but I prefer to use my own thing that I have used for my other dogs in the past. Although, anecdotally, I find that if my dog has a flea or two that any dog shampoo really scrubbed in and left on for a few minutes will kill fleas.

Prevention is the best medicine. But if your dog does end up with fleas I always recommend a bath in Dawn dish soap since most people have it on hand already. I would also pair it up with a dose of Capstar and maybe even use a 50/50 mix of vinegar/water on the dog to repel fleas. DE can also be paired up with that as well as essential oils. And lets not forget that the house/furniture would need to be thoroughly vacuumed, vacuum contents sealed and disposed of, and all bedding (human and dog) washed and dried to remove every last trace of fleas, flea dirt, flea eggs, larvae, etc.

Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Fleas and Ticks season   Fleas and Ticks season EmptyThu Apr 24, 2014 12:55 pm

We use oils as Val suggests, spread DE outside, and keep comfortis on hand should we need it.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
SIMBA_SH
Puppy
Puppy
SIMBA_SH

Male Join date : 2013-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Fleas and Ticks season   Fleas and Ticks season EmptyThu Apr 24, 2014 1:37 pm

thx u for the reply Smile I will give him a bath this weekend so I just wanted a heads up Smile and where can I get essential oils? I don't c one near me but I do have a Walmart target and Walgreen near do they sell it?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fleas and Ticks season   Fleas and Ticks season Empty

Back to top Go down

Fleas and Ticks season

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1