It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Paleo Lifestyle

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

Paleo Lifestyle - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paleo Lifestyle   Paleo Lifestyle - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 18, 2014 10:11 am

What kind of crock pots do you guys have? I have tried two, one with a stainless steel outside and one with ceramic and for some reason my meals come out tasting really bad, like the meat does. It almost makes me sick to think about it right now. I'm just curious if its the one I'm buying or if the onions or peppers or veggies in the crock pot just doesn't mix.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Paleo Lifestyle   Paleo Lifestyle - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 18, 2014 12:23 pm

We have a ceramic one. That's really weird, the only problem I have is that sometimes the meat comes out a little dry.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Paleo Lifestyle - Page 2 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Paleo Lifestyle   Paleo Lifestyle - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 18, 2014 1:12 pm

Okay getting serious today. I admit I slipped yesterday and had a beer when I got home with Diz. I was good otherwise. I woke up with a flat tummy for the first time in a long time though. I'm gonna get the nom nom paleo app today and maybe even attempt to make ghee. Have any of you made your own?
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Paleo Lifestyle   Paleo Lifestyle - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 18, 2014 1:22 pm

I haven't made ghee yet, but I made the mayo from that app and it was super easy and came out really well.

I'm headed to my cousin's CSM in a little while to stock up on locally sourced meat Smile

Oh, and Jenny, I might have ordered pizza last night Wink

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Paleo Lifestyle   Paleo Lifestyle - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 18, 2014 1:28 pm

Ha! Glad I'm not the only one. I'm excited to get re-started!
Back to top Go down
eddycaaa
Adult
Adult
eddycaaa

Female Join date : 2012-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Paleo Lifestyle   Paleo Lifestyle - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 18, 2014 1:29 pm

wpskier222 wrote:
Okay getting serious today. I admit I slipped yesterday and had a beer when I got home with Diz. I was good otherwise. I woke up with a flat tummy for the first time in a long time though. I'm gonna get the nom nom paleo app today and maybe even attempt to make ghee. Have any of you made your own?

Yes! You have cook the butter on low for like 10 minutes until it starts to brown a little on the top. It'll seem like your burning it, but you strain out those solids with a few layers of cheese cloth and a sieve and what you've have left is a clear gold liquid that has a slightly nutty taste. Its perfect for cook at high temps.

Here's the recipe from the Nom nom paleo book:

Quote :
“1. Melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat. As it melts, the clear fat will separate from the milk solids. Continue simmering gently, and keep a close eye on the melted butter. Bubbles will form and then gradually get smaller, until the surface of the butter resembles a foam.

2. Soon, you’ll see the milk solids brown, and some of the solids will clump together. Remove the pan from the heat when the milk solids turn a deep golden brown and start falling to the bottom, about 8 to 10 minutes after the melted butter starts bubbling.

3. Place a fine-mesh strainer on top of a heat-safe bowl or cup, and tuck a triple layer of cheesecloth into the strainer. Carefully strain the butter through the cheesecloth, and discard the milk solids.

4. Store the ghee in a sealed container. After the milk solids have been removed, the ghee no longer requires refrigeration—but if you keep your homemade stash in the fridge, it’ll last up to a year.”

Excerpt From: Michelle Tam & Henry Fong. “Nom Nom Paleo.” Andrews McMeel Publishing, LLC, 2013. iBooks. https://itun.es/us/3ru0R.l
Back to top Go down
http://www.ericalynnrodriguez.net
eddycaaa
Adult
Adult
eddycaaa

PostSubject: Re: Paleo Lifestyle   Paleo Lifestyle - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 18, 2014 1:31 pm

Ugh I wish I had some cheese cloth so I could make some ghee. My eggs don't turn out right without it
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Paleo Lifestyle   Paleo Lifestyle - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 18, 2014 1:37 pm

I was so excited when I saw that recipe on Nom Nom yesterday. I didn't realize ghee came from real butter lol. I was like, "Yay!!! Butter!!!
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

PostSubject: Re: Paleo Lifestyle   Paleo Lifestyle - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 18, 2014 1:41 pm

I'll have to figure out the deal with the crock pot, sometimes mine dries out as well. Maybe its just the recipies I have tried, I can't even describe the flavor it gives the meat but its disgusting!

Do you guys give up fruit as well? I know the Paleo lifestyle doesn't call for it, but the sugar detox does ((accept green apples and the occasional couple of pieces). Jen and Erica, is that what you are doing? I haven't decided yet which way I'm going to take that. Also, I think the only thing I won't ever give up is dairy. I like almond milk, but I can't live without regular milk to actually drink.

Also as far as the nom nom paleo. Did you guys do the kindle version or the actual book? Sometimes the kindle ones can be a little hard to navigate, so I wasn't sure if its worth the extra money for the book. Or either? (I can't find the app, I think its cause I don't have an iphone and have a android.)
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Paleo Lifestyle   Paleo Lifestyle - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 18, 2014 1:51 pm

I'm gonna get the app for my iPad. For the detox, I'm doing the one called the whole30, the one eddycaa suggested. I signed up for the subscription and for $14.95 they send you an email everyday for the 30 days with tips, recipes, resources and tons of info. This is my first attempt at anything like this so it might be less helpful for someone more knowledgable. Also, if you screw up it lets you start over for free. Smile I actually think it's worth the money! I'm not going to give up fruit entirely, but I will probably limit it to a serving a day. Why does paleo not allow for fruit? It's definitely something you could find foraging, just as easily as veggies.

I have kind of your standard crock pot and for me, I make sure to add extra water to whatever I'm making. If I get the amount right, things stay moist, but there isn't extra water. Also is it possible there is some kind of coating or residue in your crock pot that is coming off as its heating?
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

PostSubject: Re: Paleo Lifestyle   Paleo Lifestyle - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 18, 2014 1:56 pm

No, I've tried several different kinds of crock pots so it can't be that. Honestly, it could just be me being picky, and just trying the wrong couple of recipes.

I might try that whole30 too, I think to get an email every day would be awesome. However how do you do your shopping ahead of time?

Sorry, I mean with the paleo diet you can eat fruit but the sugar detox says you aren't really allowed to except tiny bits I think, and it has to be certain ones. I don't think I made my question very clear.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Paleo Lifestyle   Paleo Lifestyle - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 18, 2014 2:05 pm

Gotcha. Well I'm on day 0 again, so, starting over tomorrow because of the beer last night... Still not in the swing of everything. I'm doing my first big planning session and shopping trip today. I'm lucky though, there are 3 health food stores within 2 blocks from me and whole foods is about a 10 min walk. I'll probably just go every couple days.
Back to top Go down
eddycaaa
Adult
Adult
eddycaaa

PostSubject: Re: Paleo Lifestyle   Paleo Lifestyle - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 18, 2014 4:23 pm

wpskier222 wrote:
Why does paleo not allow for fruit? It's definitely something you could find foraging, just as easily as veggies.

Paleo does allow fruit Smile Some Paleo zealots push for a low intake of fruit, white & sweet potatoes, white rice etc because of a possible blood sugar spike, but they dont take into account that some people need and thrive on a moderate carbohydrate intake.

This is why I love Chris Kresser, he advocates for a 30 day elimination diet followed by a reintroduction of grey area foods like diary, white rice and white potatoes. If you discover you can tolerate dairy, then have dairy! If you want to eat 3 bananas and and 2 apples in one day and it doesn't put you on a blood sugar roller coaster then go for it because fruit provides enough nourishing nutrients to validate eating them. The only thing he says everyone should avoid at least most of the time is gluten because it has been shown to promote gut permeability. A healthy gut is the key to good immunity, mental health, and energy levels.
Back to top Go down
eddycaaa
Adult
Adult
eddycaaa

PostSubject: Re: Paleo Lifestyle   Paleo Lifestyle - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 18, 2014 4:33 pm

siku&nikolai wrote:

Do you guys give up fruit as well? I know the Paleo lifestyle doesn't call for it, but the sugar detox does ((accept green apples and the occasional couple of pieces). Jen and Erica, is that what you are doing? I haven't decided yet which way I'm going to take that. Also, I think the only thing I won't ever give up is dairy. I like almond milk, but I can't live without regular milk to actually drink.

Also as far as the nom nom paleo. Did you guys do the kindle version or the actual book?

While I was on the sugar detox i made sure to get my green apple or green tipped banana everyday! It was only 21 days, so it wasn't that hard. Now that i'm doing a paleo-ish (I actually tell people I am gluten-free, whole foods diet because of the stigma Paleo has) I eat 2-3 serving of fruit a day. I also love milk and yogurt! They are an essential part of my diet, but is has to be unpasteurized. I discovered after eliminating pasteurized dairy then reintroducing it that it causes congestion and mucus. Raw dairy doesn't do this.

I bought the Nom Nom Paleo iBook... I don't have an iPad so I can't try the app.
Back to top Go down
Playing with the Big Dogs
Adult
Adult
Playing with the Big Dogs

Female Join date : 2013-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Paleo Lifestyle   Paleo Lifestyle - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 19, 2014 6:29 pm

You know I kind of want to get healthier so I can do more with my dogs. Dogs are just so good for you. I have been checking out the freezer crock pot recipes I will admit working all day and then having to come home and cook tends to have us pick up something on the way home from work.

Meredith how long have you been doing it?

I am kind of wondering how easy it will be get the boyfriend to eat it. On the plus side he is really supportive of me trying to get healthy and tackle my insulin issues. But he is also a super picky eater.

Any cook books anyone has bought?
Back to top Go down
http://playingwiththebigdogs.blogspot.com/
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Paleo Lifestyle   Paleo Lifestyle - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 21, 2014 12:39 am

I've been doing paleo seriously for about a month now, but I changed my eating habits pretty significantly back in august. I can commiserate on living with a picky eater, Aaron is like having a super picky toddler in the house. Seriously, in his mind Kraft Mac n cheese with cut up hot dogs is an acceptable meal  Paleo Lifestyle - Page 2 85993  they playing the "just take one bite" game and see what you can get him to eat. Unfortunately that's a losing battle with Aaron, he refuses to try new things.

Here are the cookbooks I have:
Paleo Slow Cooker
Paleo Snacks - both by John Chatham
Well Fed - Melissa Joulwan
Paleo Lunches and Breakfasts on the Go - Diana Rodgers
The Everything Paleolithic Diet Book - Jodie and Gilaad Cohen

I did pad Thai from Well Fed for dinner tonight, and am doing Tahini chicken with bok choi for dinner tomorrow, that one is from the Paleo Crockpot book.

Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

PostSubject: Re: Paleo Lifestyle   Paleo Lifestyle - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 27, 2014 4:39 pm

I know what you mean about the picky eater. I never even mentioned me switching how we were eating and so far no complaints (hasn't noticed missing pasta or bread yet), but I know if I were to just mention only eating like meat, veggies and fruit then there would be a backlash of "oh I don't want to do that", and then him no longer liking the food. So I'm just going to see how long I can keep this going! I think when I try the spaghetti squash this week, he might start to catch on.

For lunch though today, I made tuna with the homemade mayo with cut up chunks of green apples, and celery in a lettuce wrap, it was amazing and obviously easy. I think its my new favorite lunch.

My almond butter addition is starting to get a little out of control though. I eat it with everything now!
Back to top Go down
eddycaaa
Adult
Adult
eddycaaa

PostSubject: Re: Paleo Lifestyle   Paleo Lifestyle - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 2:33 pm

siku&nikolai wrote:
For lunch though today, I made tuna with the homemade mayo with cut up chunks of green apples, and celery in a lettuce wrap, it was amazing and obviously easy. I think its my new favorite lunch.

My almond butter addition is starting to get a little out of control though. I eat it with everything now!

What kind of oil did you use for the mayo? I've tried extra virgin olive oil and avocado oil and both turned out horrible and green. I think i will try light tasting olive oil next. I need to get my own immersion blender so I don't have to borrow my friends every time I try make my own mayo.

I was really addicted to almond butter at first too! Believe it or not I still lost weight even though I was eating up to 4 tbsp of it a day. It was probably because I wasn't eating any sugar at the time.I've kind of eased off it naturally. I think I got bored with it... although every once in a while I get a strong craving for it and want to destroy a whole jar, lol.

Have you tried Trader Joes sunflower butter? It has a little bit of added sugar but its only 3g per serving which makes it as sweet as almond butter is naturally,
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Paleo Lifestyle   Paleo Lifestyle - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 2:39 pm

I used avocado oil for mayo that turned out great. I followed the Nom Nom Paleo recipe.

I finally had a paleo baking win, made a blackberry cobbler on Saturday that was absolutely amaze balls. The two cookie recipes I've tried so far we're total flops, but this gives me hope Smile

Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

PostSubject: Re: Paleo Lifestyle   Paleo Lifestyle - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 3:11 pm

I also used Avacado oil and it turned out really good for me. I've also since made it just with organic mayo. It says it didn't have sugar in it, but I didn't look at any ingredients really so I couldn't tell you whats actually in it. I just got lazy and didn't feel like making more at that time.

We actually don't have a trader joe's in my area, its a little ridiculous. But next time I make that trip to the store (over two hours away) I will add sunflower butter to my list!

Blackberry cobbler sounds amazing. I made banana pumpkin spice muffins on Friday night, and they were disgusting. Had to throw them all away unfortunately. Lesson learned to never use coconut oil, and coconut flour in one recipe.

Tonight is Italian stuffed peppers, so I don't think I can mess that up!
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Paleo Lifestyle   Paleo Lifestyle - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 8:58 pm

Here's the recipe for that cobbler, btw. And it was stupid easy to make.

http://everydaypaleo.com/blackberry-cobbler/

Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Paleo Lifestyle   Paleo Lifestyle - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 06, 2014 1:20 am

Meredith, stumbled onto this thread. Made Paleo meatballs the other night, I have in the past made terrible meatballs, according to husband. I never thought to just leave out breadcrumbs. Found a great recipe and husband loved them. Hmmm, he is as picky as Aaron, Kraft mac and cheese and cut up hot dogs, his fave, lol. Have been trying to get him to eat more vegies(prior to me corn was only known vegie to him). Not sure if I could give up breads though. How's it working for you?
Renee
Back to top Go down
GravityM
Senior
Senior
GravityM

Female Join date : 2014-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Paleo Lifestyle   Paleo Lifestyle - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 25, 2017 9:43 pm

Bumping this thread ..

I want to try this after having a baby lol I need/want to be healthier and I'd like to lose about 35 pounds. I've lost 40 so far in just 6 weeks woohoo.  bounce

So what's a good source for recipes? Anyone have any of their own to share?

Paleo Lifestyle - Page 2 768634
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Paleo Lifestyle   Paleo Lifestyle - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 26, 2017 10:44 am

I don't do the paleo (not purposefully anyway. I do follow most of the guidelines for it with a couple exceptions) thing but have looked at it a lot for my husband. Pinterest has a ton of stuff but you really need to know the basics and fundamentals of paleo in order to weed through what is legit paleo and what is just a healthy seeming recipe someone is trying to pass off as paleo in order to get people to look at their blog.

I have tried one of the paleo bread recipes I saw on pinterst and it was decent. Bread I have a real hang up with. I love bread and make homemade bread often. If the bread is bad is this life really worth living is kinda how I've always felt about bread. The recipe for it is here --> Grain-free bread

Senior
Senior
GravityM

Female Join date : 2014-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Paleo Lifestyle   Paleo Lifestyle - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 26, 2017 11:09 am

Hm okay, I can check out Pinterest, I'll try to stick with recipes that sound like Paleo. Thanks!
Hahaha my mom is the same way " you can't have bread!?" She says to me yesterday
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Paleo Lifestyle   Paleo Lifestyle - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Paleo Lifestyle

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next