It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Yukon started having Seizures

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

Male Join date : 2012-08-10

Yukon started having Seizures - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 30, 2014 5:12 pm

aljones wrote:
Jason, isn't much I can say except hang in there!  I can't begin to imagine how your emotions must be handling the roller-coaster.  Take care of all //al

THank you, it's hard being at work 1 1/2 hours away and not being with him all day!
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 30, 2014 5:13 pm

blueeyedghost wrote:
This is why I'm so thankful for the relationship I have with my vet. She and I have become very good friends (she's my age), and I can call her anytime I need something. I always call the office during the day though.

Jason, if you had the opportunity to test out an implanted detection device with Yukon, would you? Something that would record brain waves and then interface with like a smart phone app or something.

It would actually depend on financially what I would have to come up with. Even though I would do anything in the world for them, I do have limitations Sad I have never heard of the detection device though, it would be interesting to see the differences or to be able to predict when one would be coming.
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 30, 2014 5:15 pm

I did talk to the vet, and they want me to increase his dosage to 90mg twice a day, which is double what he was getting, and we are going in for the tests on Friday. Hopefully this will work, I also emailed the Canna Companion website and they gave me some information that I will be taking to the vet to discuss as well.

Paws crossed that he has a good night!
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 30, 2014 6:21 pm

blueeyedghost wrote:
www.cannaforpets.com, they are awesome to work with. We were part of their "extra strength" trial this summer, and finally felt like we had pretty decent control again.

They have been VERY Helpful at Canna Companion! I am going to discuss with my vet and see if it is legal in my state, since the webinar they gave me does say that some states may have stricter regulations, and Indiana is not known for being very progressive
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 30, 2014 7:34 pm

Hopefully you can get it, but yeah, Indiana. I'm from Illinois originally Razz

The reason you haven't heard of such a device is because its not made. Yet... I'll be in touch with you on that one.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Yukon started having Seizures - Page 3 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 30, 2014 7:35 pm

blueeyedghost wrote:
Hopefully you can get it, but yeah, Indiana. I'm from Illinois originally Razz

The reason you haven't heard of such a device is because its not made. Yet... I'll be in touch with you on that one.

Thanks so much! I looked up the laws, and it does appear that they passed a law earlier this year allowing to purchase as long as it is less than 1% THC and not for human consumption.
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 1:06 pm

Well, we went to the vet on Friday. First at 8am and they took blood for the low level pheno test, and then back at 2pm for the peak level pheno and the CBC tests.

I got the results yesterday, and his pheno levels are well within the therapeutic range since he has been on the 97mg twice a day, so they are going to keep him on the higher dosage.

His CBC was all normal, except for the ALT and ALP which were just slightly elevated and outside the "normal" range. The vet said that is expected while on pheno, so we will go back in 6 months for tests. He hasn't had anymore seizures since he has been on the increased dosage, so that is a good thing
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 3:26 pm

That *is* a real good thing, hope everything continues to hold.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 6:11 pm

Good, I hope it continues for him (and you). Do you have him on any sort of liver supplement? We were on Denamarin, and you can get decent prices on Amazon and at Costco. They do a mail order pharmacy and you don't need to be a member, just fyi. That's where we got all of Shadow's meds, they kept it affordable for us.

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Yukon started having Seizures - Page 3 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 6:39 pm

No, the vet didn't seem concerned about the test results and I didn't ask him about it. I didn't even see the actual vet when I went in and just talked to him over the phone when they gave me the results
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 7:26 pm

I would go ahead and start protecting his liver now, it'll help stave off damage in the future. Instead of Denamarin, you can use milk thistle and/or SAMe as well which individually are a bit cheaper. Denamarin is a combination of the two.

Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 7:39 pm

Thanks! I will check out the milk thistle
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 8:04 pm

blueeyedghost wrote:
I would go ahead and start protecting his liver now, it'll help stave off damage in the future.  Instead of Denamarin, you can use milk thistle and/or SAMe as well which individually are a bit cheaper.  Denamarin is a combination of the two.

How much should I give him?  I found some on Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/Jarrow-Formulas-Thistle-Standardized-Silymarin/dp/B0013OULVA/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1420412484&sr=8-8&keywords=milk+thistle+for+dogs.  
It says to give a dog his weight about 40-50% of a human dosage, but I am not sure what the human dosage is.  Do you give it once a day?
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 9:28 pm

Kody is on Milk Thistle as well. The dosage for humans on the ones we have are 2 capsules a day and I give Kody one  at dinner. I think they are 250mg each. Not sure. I'm curious if I'm giving him the right amount as well.
Back to top Go down
Cyberpup
Puppy
Puppy
Cyberpup

Male Join date : 2013-03-16

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 06, 2015 12:38 pm

Meredith: I'm so sorry to hear about Shadow. I've always felt connected to Shadow because of Lyra's problems. Her hunger drive is probably our biggest issue, as her cocktail of drugs appears to have her seizures under control. She raids the kitchen counter regularly, and has learned how to use the bar stools to climb up onto the counter for stuff she can't reach from the floor. Shadow's story (if I understand it correctly) changes one's perception of our "counter thief" from comical to deadly serious.
Melissa: After her last round of blood tests our vet suggested the Milk Thistle and SAMe for Lyra as well. I'm not sure of the dose however. Please let me know if you get clarification of the dosage, and what is Yukon's weight? Lyra just weighed in at 52 lbs. We feed her at least one can of green beans every day to help with her hunger urges.
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 06, 2015 12:42 pm

I have noticed a definite change in Yukon in regards to counter surfing and trying to get whatever I am eating/drinking, as he is way more aggressive in wanting food. Not in the vicious way, but the curious way.

Yukon is between 42 and 46 lbs depending on what scale you use. At the vet they had him at 42lbs, but when I weight him on my scale he is almost 47lbs
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 06, 2015 12:42 pm

jschrader wrote:

blueeyedghost wrote:
I would go ahead and start protecting his liver now, it'll help stave off damage in the future.  Instead of Denamarin, you can use milk thistle and/or SAMe as well which individually are a bit cheaper.  Denamarin is a combination of the two.

How much should I give him?  I found some on Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/Jarrow-Formulas-Thistle-Standardized-Silymarin/dp/B0013OULVA/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1420412484&sr=8-8&keywords=milk+thistle+for+dogs.  
It says to give a dog his weight about 40-50% of a human dosage, but I am not sure what the human dosage is.  Do you give it once a day?  

Shoot Jay, I'm sorry I just saw this. I was giving Denamarin, which was formulated for dogs, but I can try to find out for you. Melissa gave good info too.

Kevin, the hunger drive is just one more thing to deal with. Most people have to deal with it, and no matter how careful you are sometimes things happen. You're in Boulder though, you should look into CBD stuff. Check out Canna Companion, but you also might try to get your hands on some Charlotte's Web or something. Just make sure whatever you give has extremely low THC since that's toxic to dogs. It really does make a difference on the seizures though. Also, I forgot you were in Boulder. Aaron just got a job out there, and most of my good prospects are in the Boulder area too. I was just there to visit, I'm so exited to move. We love it!

Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 06, 2015 1:11 pm

Kody would never get into the garbage or counter suffer until he started on the pheno. We always had to watch out for Asia, but Kody is like a maniac! I can't leave him unattended in the kitchen for more than 10 seconds. He always starts asking for dinner like 2 hours early and is VERY persistent Shocked Shocked
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 06, 2015 1:30 pm

Yukon has always been a little crazy when it came to food. He would gulp his food down in seconds, always wanting to eat earlier than dinner time. After he started on pheno last year it didn't change too much, but now that he is at 2x the dose he is getting more pushy when it comes to his food!
Back to top Go down
Cyberpup
Puppy
Puppy
Cyberpup

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 07, 2015 1:00 am

Meredith

You will be moving to Boulder? That would awesome! We have a favorite tasting room that is dog friendly. Lyra loves the cool cement floor, and all the attention a pretty, fuzzy and friendly husky gets! Not to mention the beer is some of the best as well.

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 07, 2015 1:01 am

Kevin, what tasting room?
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 07, 2015 1:23 am

We're sort of eyeing Superior as where we want to buy, but ultimately it depends on where I wind up working. There's a chance I'll wind up at Lockheed in Littleton, so that would drive us a little further south.

I love the Colorado breweries, and you have my attention with this tasting room... drunken

Back to top Go down
Cyberpup
Puppy
Puppy
Cyberpup

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 07, 2015 10:54 am

Our favorite is the Upslope Brewery off Lee Hill road on the north end of Boulder.

Be aware that the Rocky Flats plutonium factory was just south of Boulder: some of that land probably still glows in the dark...
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 07, 2015 1:48 pm

Cyberpup wrote:

Be aware that the Rocky Flats plutonium factory was just south of Boulder: some of that land probably still glows in the dark...

Yep, we've looked at the fallout patterns and all of that stuff. Pretty much knocked Arvada out of contention as a place to live, but we much prefer that Superior/Lafayette/Louisville area anyway.

Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 17, 2015 2:06 am

So I gave Yukon a 150mg milk thistle pill an hour ago and he had another seizure. It was very light and not as severe but he's been on double his dosage of pheno for 3 weeks not sure if it is a coincidence or had something to do with the milk thistle
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Yukon started having Seizures

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next