It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Yukon started having Seizures

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Cyberpup
Puppy
Puppy
Cyberpup

Male Join date : 2013-03-16

Yukon started having Seizures - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 5 EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 10:35 pm

Jason

I understand about the cost of a neurologist for Yukon. This last week when I did our taxes we had one pile of receipts just for Lyra.  Let's just say she is an expensive puppy.

I found this link with information on Valium. The information certainly lines up with our experience. We just use a small diameter syringe without a needle and Vaseline or olive oil: whatever is fastest at hand. It may sound like a big deal but it really isn't. The hardest part is finding the spot under all Lyra's fur. Also the injection may act like a laxative in pretty short order. If that happens our neurologist told us to just repeat. There was a shortage of liquid valium a while back and we switched to pill form as it was much cheaper. We grind up the pills and add an appropriate amount of water and shake well before using.

http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/OralandRectalProtocol.htm#How is valium administered

Really hope the new dosage is the answer for Yukon.
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

Male Join date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 5 EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 11:06 pm

Yeah, I am grateful that the other two are healthy. The only expenses I have for Kodi and Nikko are all normal costs. Not only does Yukon have seizures, his front legs didn't grow correctly and he has what I am guessing is elbow dysplasia.

So far, he has been doing OK, but he could have more seizures for the next week until the meds stabilize.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 5 EmptyFri Apr 17, 2015 7:17 am

What have you tried for the elbows?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 5 EmptyFri Apr 17, 2015 8:17 am

It was just a guess from what I saw online. The vet had looked at him and didn't seem all that concerned and said it was just a deformity
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 5 EmptyTue Apr 21, 2015 11:59 am

It's been almost a week, and he hasn't had any more seizures. The vet did increase the dosage to 97mg three times a day. He is worried that it might make his levels too high, but we will do more tests in 4-6 weeks to see what his peak level is.
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 5 EmptyMon Jun 08, 2015 10:53 pm

Thought I Would give an update with Yukon. Since April 15th, he has been on 1 1/2 grain (97.2mg) 3 times a day (total of 4 1/2 grain). He had another breakthrough seizure on a week ago last Friday at 4am, which I think lasted about a minute or two..and then he had a second seizure which was very mild. He was standing up outside about to go potty and he seized again, but only for a few seconds. He was very disoriented and the next day very aggressive (and by aggressive I mean he was in your face wanting what you had; not "mean" aggressive).

I took him in Saturday for another pheno level check, and his level was at 50ug. The therapeutic range is 10-40, and he is nearing toxic levels. So they want to lower his dosage to 1 1/4 grain every 8 hours (3 3/4 grain per day). He did not say anything about changing his meds or adding anything.

I am concerned that he is just lowering his dosage, which will cause more seizures. I am going to be asking him about adding potassium bromide to his treatment, or seeing other options. I am hoping we can get him at a safe level to keep the seizures from happening every 6 weeks.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 5 EmptyMon Jun 08, 2015 11:03 pm

Have you taken him to a neurologist? I'm really surprised that you haven't been advised to add meds. I would seriously consider zonisamide, keppra if you can afford it. Maybe try the Canna Companion? Seriously though, go to a neurologist.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Yukon started having Seizures - Page 5 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 5 EmptyMon Jun 08, 2015 11:06 pm

No, I haven't taken him to a neurologist...I am not sure where to find one, and cost is an obstacle as well. I am also surprised that he is not suggesting to add meds. I suggested the Canna Companion to the vet and will see what he thinks. I think you still have to have that prescribed through a vet, no?
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 5 EmptyMon Jun 08, 2015 11:13 pm

No, you actually don't need a prescription. University of Michigan and Illinois both have strong vet med programs, I'd imagine if nothing else you can find neurologists there. Consults aren't horribly expensive either, if they want to do tests and whatnot, that's where it will hit you. Let me dig and see what I can find from some of my old resources.

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Yukon started having Seizures - Page 5 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 5 EmptyMon Jun 08, 2015 11:16 pm

http://www.cavalierhealth.org/neurologists.htm

There are a bunch in the Chicago area, and looks like a few at Purdue as well. Good luck!

Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 5 EmptyMon Jun 08, 2015 11:21 pm

Thanks for the info.  I am going to see how the vet responds with my questions about asking about different meds or the canna companion first.  I will look into the neurologist though if I can't get this under control.  I just think that a seizure every 6 weeks is kind of excessive.

I am just not sure what a MRI would show that the vet doesn't already know, since they already diagnosed him with epilepsy. If I don't get any results I will check into a consultation, but I know that a MRI is going to be out of the question as I have looked up average prices for that and its 1500+.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 5 EmptyMon Jun 08, 2015 11:41 pm

I honestly don't think an MRI would be warranted in your case, nor do I think the results would change the course of action much if at all. But, a neurologist is going to know better how to treat it, especially since you don't have full control. With the 6 weeks thing, it really is all relative. We got a blessed 6 mins at one stretch, but then had to start adding shit in and were happy with one every 3 to 4 weeks. I do think you guys can get better control with Yukon, but there are folks on multiple meds who still have seizures every week or two. It's all pretty individual to the dog, just like epilepsy in humans.

Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 5 EmptyMon Jun 08, 2015 11:53 pm

I think you mean Michigan State University Meredith. They have a fantastic vet program if you can get there.
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 5 EmptyMon Jun 08, 2015 11:54 pm

That makes me feel better. I keep reading and being told that even under control it should be no more than every 3-4 months but that makes sense it can differ with the dog. I just worry that too many is going to shorten his life span. Not that I expect him to live for 15 years but I hope to get at least 10 years with him. I feel so helpless sometimes and just want the best for him, and I'm grateful for any advice from others that have been through it
Back to top Go down
Cyberpup
Puppy
Puppy
Cyberpup

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 5 EmptyTue Jun 09, 2015 12:13 am

Meredith - That was well said. Every dog is a unique case.

Jason - I suspect that there are some generalities however with respect to the meds. It certainly seems that pheno is the heavy hitter, but also carries the most dangerous side effects. The other drugs: potassium bromide and Levi, may not be sufficient on their own to control seizures but they may help reduce the level of phenol that is needed. This is an area where a neurologist may have more insight into treatment options than one's veterinarian would.

Good luck with Yukon!

Cheers,
Kevin
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 5 EmptyTue Jun 09, 2015 12:19 am

What I learned early on was that "control" was a relative term. I totally feel you on the helplessness though, it's such a horrible feeling. I just wish I could reach through here and give you a hug. Epilepsy sucks.

On a side note, Kevin, we are officially settling in Arvada. I'll be headed out around September first, and we should close on our house in early November. We should meet up sometime when the Huskies and I get out there Smile

Back to top Go down
Cyberpup
Puppy
Puppy
Cyberpup

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 5 EmptyTue Jun 09, 2015 12:35 am

Meredith - Absolutely! Look forward to it!

With respect to the helplessness: even with Lyra's seizures "under control" there is still a feeling helplessness. The next seizure could be the one that kills her, or the meds will kill her, or ... Just try to enjoy every day that we do have with them: the big warm wonderful fur balls!
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 5 EmptyThu Jun 11, 2015 6:53 pm

I have not been able to talk to the vet as of yet, hoping to go in next week. I had an issue with Nikko, he got really sick and I had to rush him to the vet. He was vomiting and had the runs, and I thought he might have a blockage. Had to do x-rays, which didn't show anything so they said they could either open him up, do barium xrays or wait it out. $350 later we decided to wait a day or so since there were no obvious signs of blockage.

Thankfully, he is starting to get better so I think we dodged a bullet.
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 5 EmptySat Jun 20, 2015 3:05 pm

I talked to the vet about his medications...

He asked if we ever had a thyroid test, which he hasn't. He said they wanted to do a thyroid panel 4 to determine if he has autoimmune thyroiditis. If he does have this it can be a cause of his seizures. Anyone have any experience with this?

Since he is in the toxic range for the pheno, he added Keppra, 500mg 2 times a day, and cut the pheno in half, so he is only getting 1/2 of 97mg pill 3 times a day. Problem is, the Keppra is $170 for a 1 month supply, and the thyroid test is $225.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am not sure what to do at this point.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 5 EmptySat Jun 20, 2015 3:14 pm

You want the thyroid test, it will be money well spent. If it comes back that it's positive, they can begin treating the thyroid, if it comes back negative, you have eliminated one more possible cause of the seizures. Until I joined this site, I had no idea how common thyroid issues are in huskies.
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 5 EmptySat Jun 20, 2015 3:16 pm

Yeah we have decided that we are definitely doing the thyroid test. I am going to schedule it as soon as possible next week. I am not sure if I should get the Keppra if I am going to have the test done next week. That's a lot of money for the meds if it comes back that I won't need them...
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 5 EmptySat Jun 20, 2015 3:26 pm

Unfortunately I have no advice for you on the Keppla, out of the three huskies I had that seizures, only one was on pheno and it never got to the point of adding Keppla. I know there is less activity in here on the wknd but I'm hoping someone more knowledgeable reads this.

If you have the time, go back thru threads on here involving seizures and how they can relate to the thyroid, there has been a lot of valuable information on it. I wish I had bookmarked some of them so I could pinpoint for you important ones to read. It's something worth doing though if you have some time.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 5 EmptySat Jun 20, 2015 4:07 pm

Where are you getting your Keppra from?! We were paying maybe a third of that at Costco. You don't have to be a member to use their pharmacy, and they do mail order stuff if there's not one nearby. Diamondback pharmacy out of Phoenix is really reasonable too.

Claudia has some experience with thyroid issues with Storm, but to my knowledge he never had any related seizures. Folks on the Epil-K9 page have a lot of experience though, if you're not on the list serve you should probably join.

I hope the addition of the keppra helps, we got really good control for quite some time when we combined the two.

Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 5 EmptySat Jun 20, 2015 4:47 pm

I got it from CVS, but I already put the prescription in there. I wish there was a way to transfer it to Costco since I'm going there today!!
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 5 EmptySat Jun 20, 2015 5:52 pm

Thank you so much for suggesting Costco!! I just went and it's only $25!!! And they called CVS and transferred it even though it was already filled. I was seriously wondering what I was going to do, so a big thanks!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Yukon started having Seizures   Yukon started having Seizures - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Yukon started having Seizures

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next