It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Greetings from Western Maine!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
LittleLaika
Newborn
Newborn
LittleLaika

Female Join date : 2013-07-28

Greetings from Western Maine! Empty
PostSubject: Greetings from Western Maine!   Greetings from Western Maine! EmptySun Jul 28, 2013 11:56 pm

Hello to all my fellow Sibe lovers! New here, I grew up with my beloved red/white husky Tiloup who is now a retired pup at the age of 13, she now resides with my parents in CT while I have moved up north. As of last Wednesday, I've brought home a new addition: 2 month old Laika. She is as cute as a button and totally crazy. I hope it's okay to seek some advice/help in my introduction post but I've contacted my breeder & many other dog owners around town to find no concrete suggestions. Laika, as every normal pup, HATES her crate & has major separation anxiety. We've been trying to make the crate a happy place: we've put a comforter over it, blocked off part of it so she has just enough room to turn around and lie down in it, we play with her, give her treats, etc. And often she will fall asleep in it, sometimes if we're in the room with her even willingly, but the second she wakes up (in the middle of the night), she instantly has diarrhea and starts screaming/yelping/howling for hours. I'd chalk this up to diet change, or normal weird bowel movements, or puppies not being able to hold it, but here's the thing: her stools are completely solid every other time. She's had accidents in the house, in the car, and even outside - they are healthy looking stools, but the ones we find EVERY morning in her crate are foul and slimy, nothing solid, just a puddle that's so thin it basically veils the entire bottom of her crate. We're going on 5 nights of this and we're starting to panic. Most nights, she even poops before being put in the crate. Has anyone had this problem? Everyone I've spoken to is blaming it on her sudden diet change (I feed her Wellness Puppy) but I really believe that if it were just that, she'd have loose stools outside of the crate too. It's due to intense anxiety and I'm unsure how to go about fixing that. Until then she is completely content sleeping in a pile of her diarrhea which negates the entire purpose of crate training. Thanks so much for any and all input you guys may have!

Here is Laika:

Greetings from Western Maine! Laikam10

Greetings from Western Maine! Img_0510

Greetings from Western Maine! 94367110

And here's a photo of my (forever) best friend, Tiloup:

Greetings from Western Maine! 60031810
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Western Maine!   Greetings from Western Maine! EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 10:11 am

I don't have any advice on the diarhhea issue other than has she been fully vet checked since you brought her home?

Welcome and great pictures! That first one it looks like she's plotting on how to break your "Cat Lover" mug!
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Western Maine!   Greetings from Western Maine! EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 10:19 am

Welcome! I'm glad people from Maine are finally getting on here! With my first puppy, I had trouble with the Wellness puppy (I found out mine is allergic to grain) but mine had diarrhea all the time and not just in the crate. I would say it if increases, to switch the food to something grain free after she is vet checked of course. Do you take her out in the middle of the night? Do you know if she howls first to get your attention and then goes because she doesn't think she will be let out? Or does she howl as a result of her having poop on her? Or she might just poop in order to get out of her crate and if thats the case, then I have no idea how to fix that. But first I would put her feeding time earlier in the evening, so she has less her in, in the middle of the night and see if that helps.
Back to top Go down
LittleLaika
Newborn
Newborn
LittleLaika

Female Join date : 2013-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Western Maine!   Greetings from Western Maine! EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 12:19 pm

Hey all! Thanks for responding, I actually just brought her back from the vet. I got Laika off of a farm so the vet was worried about worms. I'm starting with some antibiotics & an all inclusive worm pill today to see if this fixes the problem. She mentioned there existing a worm that sometimes produces normal stools and other times produces diarrhea. I'm hoping it's just a worm that can be taken care of with the medicine. If not, she says it very well could be stress diarrhea or something food related. If it's that, we're going to have a really hard time getting her to calm down.

Sara, doesn't it? My roommate snapped that picture in the car - pure irony Wink

Erica, what'd you switch to after Wellness Puppy? I'm confused because the reason why I chose to go with Wellness Puppy is because Wellness is grain-free and is usually the kibble that pups go to if they are allergic to something in their food :/ My vet didn't seem to know about Wellness which was shocking but then again we live in a small town and I have to drive an hour to replenish my supply of her food.
Back to top Go down
Iluvmyhuskies
Adult
Adult
Iluvmyhuskies

Female Join date : 2012-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Western Maine!   Greetings from Western Maine! EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 1:39 pm

Welcome from Kato, Karma, and I! wave 

You have two beautiful pups!!
Back to top Go down
laura56083
Teenager
Teenager
laura56083

Female Join date : 2013-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Western Maine!   Greetings from Western Maine! EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 2:13 pm

Welcome!! I love Maine, we have a camp on Sebec Lake! Congrats on the puppy, she is super cute Smile 

As far as the diarrhea, I struggled with Selena's stools basically the same way. I was feeding her Wellness core puppy too. (Wellness CORE puppy is grain free, "Core" is the only grain free puppy formula..not sure which one you feed). We thought maybe she had worms, ate something she shouldn't have, she took all kinds of medications, even had to have IV fluids for diarrhea getting so bad....for the hell of it I switched her back to Blue Buffalo puppy but instead of feeding chicken/turkey I put her on the lamb & oatmeal formula and it totally solved the problem!!! Just thought I'd share Smile
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Western Maine!   Greetings from Western Maine! EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 2:54 pm

laura56083 wrote:
Welcome!! I love Maine, we have a camp on Sebec Lake! Congrats on the puppy, she is super cute Smile 

Where on Sebec? My family has one there to!

Laura already answered that question grain free question too. Wellness does have a grain free, just the one I was feeding wasn't and I'm not sure if you are feeding Core or not. I probably did 8 foods after that till I found one that worked for us which was Orijen, but by the time that happened he was practically on adult food so I don't know if Orijen does an all life stages or what just because I've never had to look for it but I would wait to switch to anything until after the medication, just to see if it was a worm thing or not.
Back to top Go down
laura56083
Teenager
Teenager
laura56083

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Western Maine!   Greetings from Western Maine! EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 4:00 pm

Really, that's awesome! Where do you live? We are in Dover-Foxcroft. My brother just bought a house in Sebec but not on the water. It is so nice up there, I went up for July 4th and I must say the pup loved the woods of Maine too! Cool

We should get a Maine meet up going on...there seems to be more and more people from there joining here! I would totally travel for it.
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Western Maine!   Greetings from Western Maine! EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 4:28 pm

I live in Bangor, but originally from Bar Harbor. My cousin's own a camp right on the beach past the old roller rink on sebec lake.

Yes, I would love a Maine meet up. My boys don't ever get to play with other huskies to often, cause I don't know anyone around here who has them!
Back to top Go down
laura56083
Teenager
Teenager
laura56083

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Western Maine!   Greetings from Western Maine! EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 6:07 pm

That is just up the street from us! We always make trips up to Bangor, especially for Starbucks LOL when we go up..I will have to get in touch with you next time we make a trip up Cool
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Western Maine!   Greetings from Western Maine! EmptyTue Jul 30, 2013 2:53 pm

Yes definitely! We are always looking for playmates! They only really get to play with an english bulldog that my boyfriends parents have. Shocked
Back to top Go down
ChillyBeach
Teenager
Teenager
ChillyBeach

Male Join date : 2013-04-28

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Western Maine!   Greetings from Western Maine! EmptyTue Jul 30, 2013 8:51 pm

welcome, beautiful pups you have there!
Back to top Go down
ccurran07
Teenager
Teenager
ccurran07

Female Join date : 2013-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Western Maine!   Greetings from Western Maine! EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 12:03 pm

I'm all for a Maine meetup! I live in southern Maine, but planned enough in advance I'd make the drive Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Western Maine!   Greetings from Western Maine! Empty

Back to top Go down

Greetings from Western Maine!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1