It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Fish

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

Fish Empty
PostSubject: Fish   Fish EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 12:28 pm

I have a 20gal fish tank at home as well. i just lost my original blue gourami of about 4yrs yesterday it was sad.

Last edited by jbealer on Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

Fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish   Fish EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 6:52 pm

Aww... poor fishy Sad

Fish Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish   Fish EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 7:43 pm

Aww sorry to hear about your fish. What's a blue gromnie? Do you mean a blue gourami?

I used to keep blue two spot gouramis when I was younger, your post reminded me of them. Once we get settled in our new house I'm going to start a new FW community tank and get myself some pearl gouramis, absolutely gorgeous fish. The pearl gouramis are my all time favorite out of the gourami family, if you haven't seen an adult male pearl gourami you are missing out!

Teenager
Teenager
firefighterchik04

Female Join date : 2009-12-08

Fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish   Fish EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 8:46 am

oh that sucks! i have a 39 gal salt water and my starfish was dead yesterday when i got home :-( sucks losing your fish...they turn into your babies too after you have had them for so long!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish   Fish EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 12:14 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
Aww sorry to hear about your fish. What's a blue gromnie? Do you mean a blue gourami?

I used to keep blue two spot gouramis when I was younger, your post reminded me of them. Once we get settled in our new house I'm going to start a new FW community tank and get myself some pearl gouramis, absolutely gorgeous fish. The pearl gouramis are my all time favorite out of the gourami family, if you haven't seen an adult male pearl gourami you are missing out!

you got me i ment gourami! im gonna go looking for a new one just after i finish cleaning out my tank before my mom comes in a few weeks. will have to look for a pearl one. i just added some new neons and 3 others i can't think of what they were so i have to let them settle in before i clean and add 1 more fish.

Huskyluv

Fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish   Fish EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 1:11 pm

Sounds like your tank is pretty well stocked so adding more may not be a good idea. I don't think I'd add a "large" gourami to a tank with fish as small as neons anyway, male gouramis tend to be a tad on the aggressive side.

Here are a few pics I found on my computer from a LONG time ago of my group of pearl gouramis (Trichogaster leeri). They are hard to sex when they are babies and I bought mine when they were just little tiny things. The pairings should have been 3 females to 1 male and what I ended up with was 1 female to 3 males. My group of pearls got along very well though but my poor female had to put up with those 3 boys I felt bad for her at times. Anyway, pictures of these fish do NOT do them justice at all! Not just my pics but any pics you find of them do not put across how amazing these fish look in person. The males have bright orange chests and trailing filaments on the dorsal, anal, and caudal fins. All of them have this iridescent coloring to them that just does not get picked up in film or digital photography. They also get their name from the small white dots covering their body which look like pearls. Most stores carry the juveniles and their coloring is nowhere near as amazing as the adults.

Anyway, here are the pics I have of mine but they really don't even come close to capturing their true beauty.

Female in front (left) and Male in back (right):
Fish MVC-002S

Female in front (left) and Male in back (right):
Fish MVC-005S

Male:
Fish Pearl

Another male:
Fish PearlGourami2
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish   Fish EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 1:16 pm

Ahh i have seen these before! i have always gotten them as juveniles, love watching them grow, i have never had an aggression issue with them and i ways just have 1 because of the size. i think i have 11-12 small/med fish so adding the one large will not be an issue. can't wait to get the tank clean again and i will take a pic, its not bad now but i like a clean tank and it just takes like an hr or more to clean it so i just have to find the time.

Huskyluv

Fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish   Fish EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 1:28 pm

Wow, that's a lot of fish for such a small tank. You must be doing major water changes every week with such a large bio load! Shocked Better you than me!

Husky Stalker
jbealer

Fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish   Fish EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 2:18 pm

20gal is not small. i do a water change like every 3-5 months i have a outside filter and an underground filter running. i add water every few days as with our dryness out here i loses like 1-2" a week.

The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

Fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish   Fish EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 2:28 pm

Fish would die horrible deaths in my care.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

Fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish   Fish EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 2:45 pm

harrise wrote:
+1

Fish Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

Fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish   Fish EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 2:52 pm

"Small" is relative but for that amount of fish I'd say 20 gallons is small. lol I hope when you say you do WC's every 3-5 months you mean full WC's and that you actually at least do a bare minimum of 10% WC's every week. Are you testing your water weekly? I just can't imagine with a bio-load the size of yours that you could get away with so few WC's and keep your fish healthy.

Have you been keeping fish for very long? I'm going to assume that by "outside filter" you are referring to an external power filter? I am not a big fan of underground filters personally, I don't know many people who are hobbyists who actually still use UF's. It's just one of those "old school" methods that can backfire if not handled properly.

I don't mean to get on your case or anything. I've just been in this hobby for 20 years, that's right since I was 5 yrs old! I've always been passionate about the hobby since my very first fish and I know from hindsight how poorly my fish were cared for during the first 8 years or so because of my lack of knowledge. Like all animals, fish want to live and can live for surprising amounts of time even in very poor conditions but that doesn't make it right.

I like to put it in terms that are easier for us to understand. Let's take your two sibes for example and do a comparative illustration. So say you have your fish in a 20 gallon tank and only do a water change every 3 months.

Now if we were to do the same thing with your dogs here's probably what it would look like. Jack and Sierra are confined to a large bedroom which they never leave. The doors and windows are closed 24/7 but it is not airtight so of course they can still breath whatever little air slips through around the doors and window seal...it's not much air exchange but it's enough that they can breathe fine. Now Sierra and Jack get fed at least once or twice a day and they also pee and poop once or twice a day minimum. Any uneaten food does not get removed from the room and likewise none of the pee and poo are removed. Can you just imagine the ammonia build up? Now imagine that Sierra and Jack are left in these living conditions for 3 months at a time before their room is cleaned. They would probably survive those conditions but they couldn't possibly thrive or much less be healthy. And in truth they'd probably be removed under a cruelty warrant if that ever happen. But if you only do WC's for your fish every 3 months it's not much different and your fish will not be able to thrive in a tank filled with poison...poison that is removed by water changes. People think that filters remove the junk from their tank but really it only traps the crud in the filter but it's still in the tank.

I really don't mean to come across the wrong way, I am only concerned about the health of your fish. The same way I would say something about a dog being kept in unsafe/unsanitary conditions I will do the same thing if I have concerns about a fish living in unsanitary conditions. Doesn't matter if they have fur, fins or feathers I don't discriminate. I am merely mentioning all this because I am concerned about your fish and only want to help.

Fish can live very long lives when properly cared for. I had a pleco that lived into his teens before I rehomed him and my current pair of clownfish are 8.5 yrs old. I'm just trying to help so please don't think that I am attacking you or anything. Smile

Husky Stalker
jbealer

Fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish   Fish EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 3:10 pm

i don't feel attacked and i appreciate your in site about my tank. i just lose the time to take care of it sometimes and i know i need to do a better job on it. that might be added to the top of my list for the weekend.

Huskyluv

Fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish   Fish EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 3:30 pm

I too can appreciate the fact that we are all busy and I'll gladly admit that sometimes I really slip in my fishes' care. I tend to put them off or forget about them more easily because they are "silent" and can't complain or get my attention like the dogs or guinea pigs who will make a ruckus if they are ignored. I just got done cleaning the guinea pigs' cage which I do a full cage clean every other day yet my last water change for my fish was 3 weeks ago. Rolling Eyes Typically I do a partial WC once a month and a full WC every 3-4 months depending on how dirty the tank gets. And do understand also that my previous post was not just directed specifically towards you but for the benefit of anyone that might be reading who either have fish or intend to get them in the future. I don't get called a fish freak for no reason. tongue

Newborn
Newborn
Bigmuddin69

Male Join date : 2011-11-18

Fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish   Fish EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 1:48 am

Bummer I have to do a 50% wc on my 45 and 120 once a week
Back to top Go down
Bigmuddin69
Newborn
Newborn
Bigmuddin69

Male Join date : 2011-11-18

Fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish   Fish EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 1:56 am

In my 45 I have a blue thai silk fh growout and in my 120 my current stock is a 10" Herichthys carpintis a 9" JD and one 4" Black Convict. I am currently running a 50g sump on the 120 and a Penn Plax Cascade 1100 on the 45.
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

Fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish   Fish EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 1:58 am

Ugh. Don't even talk about WC's! I was good and did a 5 gallon WC on both my 28 gallon saltwater tank yesterday and killed a bunch of aiptasia. I hate doing tank maintenance! I wouldn't mind being tank free, but for some reason we're setting up an awesome rimless 75 gallon tank. Why, oh, why do I do this to myself?! Damn saltwater tanks are addicting.

Fish Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
Erinc
Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

Fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish   Fish EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 6:03 am

Koda wrote:
harrise wrote:
+1

+2
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish   Fish Empty

Back to top Go down

Fish

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1